AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th January, 2006, 04:09 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Super Nade

Post My burn-in technique (New files uploaded to the software repository)

My Burn-in process:

Memory is at stock or any guarenteed stable setting. I will be using StressCPU and CPUBurn. Goals are to achieve a higher stable OC at a progressively decreasing VCore, aided by conventional burn-in.For Dual core CPU's, I would recommend burning-in both core simultaneously. Ther is usually one weak core, which may need a bit more work to bring it up to par with the stronger core. Extra burning-in should not hurt, so keep working with both cores simultaneously throught the process. As always, I mean run two instances of the toasting programs

Just to put things in perspective, with my Venice, out-of-the-box, I could hit 2.55GHz at stock volts, but getting to 2.6GHz necissitated the use of 1.65V! This was prior to the burn-in. After the burn-in, I'm comfortabley lodged at 2.77GHz @ 1.64V. I followed this elaborate process with some measure of success. It may or may-not work for you, it did for me.
  • Stock settings for 6hrs (StressCPU)
  • Bump net CPU Freq by 50 MHz for 1 hr (Edit*4 hrs) (CPUBurn with error checking off). If you computer crashes,back off by 20MHz.
  • Check status for 30 min using StressCPU. If you find errors,bump voltage by 0.025 V and repeat step #2.
  • Continue this process till you reach your Magic number/Target Freq (mine is 2.7GHz).
  • Turn off error checking and use CPUBurn for > 14 hrs i.e overnight.
  • Turn off computer, let it cool down and then use Stress CPU to check for errors. Let it run for the rest of the day. If you still see errors, you have not completed setps 1, 2 properly and have jumped the gun. Don't be hasty!
  • Now decrease VCore in steps of 0.025 V and see if you get errors. The idea is to reduce the voltage threshold by this back and forth process.

Many people have reported success with this procedure. Hope it helps you too! The requisite programs have been uploaded into the software repository. They await administrative clearence.
Old 30th January, 2006, 05:06 PM
Steve Jobs

The CPU Burn-In and StressCPU programs have been put up on AOAFiles here: http://files.aoaforums.com/index.php?dir=171

You're doing quite good work between this and the GPU thread you created mate.

If you would like to expand this a little further, perhaps creating an article out of it, it could be hosted in the AOA articles section, and posted on the frontpage.

Not a bad explanation at all, and very easy to follow.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th January, 2006, 06:23 PM
Member/Contributer

very nice, us Indiananan's have a way with words
Old 30th January, 2006, 06:42 PM

Thanks dsio Xerohour, I don't think my friends would be quite as complimentary. Just stick with me for afewhours and you will know why.

I'll write up a short article regarding burn-in processes as a whole. The unfortunate thing about such experiments is that there is no concrete theory to back them up. Almost all evidence is experimental, obtained under widely disparate circumstances and setups. While there is a measure of coherence w.r.t the end product, i.e increase in overclocks, the sheer number of variables involved (different setups contributing to the results) makes it hard to formulate a fool-proof theory.

Some people say burning-in rewires transistors and increases electron-mobility, but I'm highly skeptical of that. If anything, there is a larger chance of dielectric breakdown when burning in! Maybe someone with better insight can truly understand what is going on.

I'm puzzled as to why this does not work with Video cards or with discrete electronic components (diodes etc...) which have been monolithically grown like CPU transistors!

Anyway, I'll put down these thoughts in the article and hope it elicts a few answers.
Old 30th January, 2006, 07:00 PM
Steve Jobs

Have you had a look at MrSeanKon's OC Bible? He's done a great deal of research on burn ins and the results you can get from it. The sheer volume of people he has successfully helped with this basically proves the whole argument.

The OC Bible is on the same page as your burn in files here http://files.aoaforums.com/index.php?dir=171

Have a look while you're writing your article and you might find some further information. Look forward to seeing it mate.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th January, 2006, 07:06 PM

Great! I'll take alook at it. I must be off now, lest I fail my exam in German. The joy's of last minute cramming!
Old 31st January, 2006, 04:35 AM

Well. Good news, I smashed my German exam!
On the topic of burning-in, I'm throwing in a idea (without solid theoretical support) regarding increase in the depletion layer of the semi-condutor due to overvolting, somehow gives the system "memory" i.e present state is dependent on the past state. I was reading, Jackson's book "Classical Electrodynamics" Ch 6 and I was looking at the dipole response to an energy field. There, there is a possiblity of the dielectric medium having memory under certain conditions .Although that is an e-m field, I believe there could be some connection at the physical level, to what we see here.
Old 31st January, 2006, 06:39 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Front Page S.N. !
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/index.php

Many thanks!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 31st January, 2006, 06:54 AM
Alien Clones Champion

Location: Queensland Australia ''Oh'' the beauitful sunny coast!
Send a message via MSN to QSDT

I've had my CPU overclocked now for quite sometime around 1 1/2 years will this burn in process still work for me?
Monitor Dell 24'' 2407WFP ''WOW that's all I can say''

Why is Phonetic not spelt Phonetically, and why is the word Abbreviation so long?

My Ex gives 100% sound adivce, 99% sound, 1% adivce.

69% of all statistics are made up!

AOA Team fah
Old 31st January, 2006, 07:13 AM
Steve Jobs

I don't think so, but I've never really tried a burn in on a non-brand-new chip. MrSeanKon has a fair bit of experience with it, and found that you can burn in used chips, but they arn't as effective as new ones.

I would like you to give it a go, and tell us what you find, if you could?
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 31st January, 2006, 09:26 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I've added your "burn-in technique" To our FAQ
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 31st January, 2006, 03:34 PM

Wow! Thanks mate. I'll submit a more complete version on Sunday.

Burning in an old CPU would not yeild anything (although I have not gotten a used CPU before). However, if you have NEVER burnt in you CPU, it could help a bit. Maybe about 50MHz (speculation) is there for the taking!
Old 1st February, 2006, 04:40 AM
Alien Clones Champion

Location: Queensland Australia ''Oh'' the beauitful sunny coast!
Send a message via MSN to QSDT

I'll give it ago. And let you know.
Monitor Dell 24'' 2407WFP ''WOW that's all I can say''

Why is Phonetic not spelt Phonetically, and why is the word Abbreviation so long?

My Ex gives 100% sound adivce, 99% sound, 1% adivce.

69% of all statistics are made up!

AOA Team fah