AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th February, 2006, 07:35 PM

Unhappy Sata?

Hi guys just got a 80gb Samsung SATA drive however I cant get the bloody thing to work! I have connected it to my SATA port 1 and used one of the molex addapters as I tied my SATA power connecters up and cant be arsed to unclip them. However my BIOS is not finding the HDD nor is Windows is there somthing that I am missing.

Oh the molex I am using is a two way one with a fan running on the other side could it be that it is not supply enough power?

Thanks for any help
Old 7th February, 2006, 07:44 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Unlikeky that the fan would be drawing too much power. You might have to assign a drive letter to the drive, so that windows can see it, mind.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th February, 2006, 07:48 PM
AOA Staff

Bear in mind, Daston is saying it doesn't even show in the BIOS.
Old 7th February, 2006, 07:55 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Ahhh.... Is your sata chipset enabled in the BIOS? Mine has an option to turn it off.

8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th February, 2006, 09:13 PM

yeah just checked it says Silicon SATA controler enabled, it gives the list of primary IDE HDD and SATA and nothing is there at all.
Old 7th February, 2006, 09:14 PM

oh I am running an Asus A8N SLI deluxe if that helps
Old 7th February, 2006, 11:28 PM
Alien Clones Champion

Location: Queensland Australia ''Oh'' the beauitful sunny coast!
Send a message via MSN to QSDT

I know with my Abit AN7 I had to install the drivers for my Silicon SATA controller 3.5 floppy disc just like doing a boot disc.
Monitor Dell 24'' 2407WFP ''WOW that's all I can say''

Why is Phonetic not spelt Phonetically, and why is the word Abbreviation so long?

My Ex gives 100% sound adivce, 99% sound, 1% adivce.

69% of all statistics are made up!

AOA Team fah
Old 7th February, 2006, 11:31 PM

ok stupid me the cable came out when moving my case back, it now finds it in boot however it says its an IDE CD drive in BIOS and dosnt show in xp.
Old 7th February, 2006, 11:57 PM

ok guys I have installed my SATARAID5 controler it shows that my HDD is online and it said that it has updated my OS but still no drive. Very confused wished I stuck with good old IDE
Old 7th February, 2006, 11:59 PM
AOA's resident barman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself
You might have to assign a drive letter to the drive, so that windows can see it, mind.
Tried this?

:EDIT: Why are you running a RAID controller?

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 8th February, 2006, 02:05 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I could easily be wrong about this, but I'd make a point of using one of the dedicated power cables for a SATA drive, not a "Molex" connector.
Old 8th February, 2006, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favu
Tried this?

:EDIT: Why are you running a RAID controller?

Um not sure thought I had to, like I said I am totaly new to SATA HDD. How do I assaign a letter to the drive?
Old 8th February, 2006, 09:46 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Step one is to ensure the drive turns up in the SI RAID BIOS...
Step two is to ensure the drivers are loaded in Windows
Step three is to go into the computer administration in Windows control panel, and find Disk Management.
Step four is to find your disk in there and create a partition on it!
Old 8th February, 2006, 11:44 AM

ah thanks

it finds it on boot up and says in device manager that it is working fine with the drivers so will try step 4 tonight when I get home
Old 8th February, 2006, 12:09 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

It is annoying that Windows provides a certain level of assistance, but then just before you have everything working, it leaves you alone!

It would be nicer if it could pop up a wizard saying "I've spotted a new hard disk that's never been prepared for use - would you like assistance preparing it?". Obviously, this would need the option to be turned off for those of us who have special requirements
Old 8th February, 2006, 12:57 PM

yeah that would be good, would it be possible for me to run Partition manager off the windows CD on boot up and format the drive to FAT32 etc?
Old 9th February, 2006, 09:03 AM

Ok guys heres the latest Windows picked up my Nvidia SATA chip (just enabled it) my HDD is picked up on boot (just after the splash screen) however windows cant see it not can device manager. Do I have to put it in a specific SATA slot on the motherboard to get it to work?
Old 9th February, 2006, 08:07 PM

Ok getting there plugged the HDD into another socket controled by the nvidia chip widows detected the HDD on boot up and it is in the Device manager window however cant seem to assign a letter or format it any help would be very....um....well helpful
Old 9th February, 2006, 08:46 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Step three is to go into the computer administration in Windows control panel, and find Disk Management.
That's the step it easy to forget about!
Old 9th February, 2006, 08:56 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

Let's hope there's a quick solution to this problem.
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home