AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th February, 2006, 05:44 PM

KK400 and Athlon Xp2900

Hi:

I am new to these forums. I have been running a Athlon XP 2000 on an IWILL KK400 ver 1.2 board. I have been able to set it to properly attain the 1670 mhz speed it is designed to run with jumpers set for 133mhz and cpu setting at 133. I am using the KK40528 bios file. I recently purchased an AMD Athlon XP 2900 CPU. In order to run it at its rated speed, I need to set the FSB to 200 mhz. IWILL TS sent instruction to set JP1 and JP 16 both to 1 and 2 to get FSB set for 166. This does not work. Is there any advice from anyone that has sucessfully set FSB to 166 or 200 on the KK400? Is there a BIOS version that would allow me make the proper changes? I really don't want to go to the fall back of new Mobo/new CPU just to get more cycles.

Thanks.
Old 20th February, 2006, 06:04 PM
Steve Jobs

The board is designed to run at a 166Mhz FSB max. Does the machine run at a normal 166Mhz fsb ok?
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th February, 2006, 07:40 PM

Try flashing to the latest bios, if that doesnt work pick up one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813185010

It wont have a ton of features but its a solid cheap board that will allow you to run full speed. I was also able to overclock a 2200+ Tbred A about %25 back in the day. Depending on what you use your computer for you may want to pocket the $30 and run at lower speed until you get a newer platform, its all up to you.
Old 20th February, 2006, 07:44 PM
Steve Jobs

To both Tforce2 and to FDF12389, welcome to AOAForums.

Always good to have new guys.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th February, 2006, 08:09 PM

The bus will only run at 133 (266) FSB. IWILL gave me settings for 166 but I get no screen when I try that. I sent tech a note that the new settings don't work and wondering if I need a different bios-- running KK40528.
Old 20th February, 2006, 08:18 PM

Let me add a little background. I upgraded my system to Athlon xp 2000 and a KK400 board in 2002. Back then, I was pretty clueless about the relative merits of motherboards. This board supported the Athlon XP 2000 cpu pretty well. Recently I purchased Battlefield2 and it would not run. I needed a 1.7 Ghz processor and this ran at 1.67. Actually my problem was the video card, but I tracked down and purchased an Athlon XP 2900 at Micro Center.
When I installed, it was actually running at less than 1.4 ghz. By checking forums like this, I realized the FSB was not set at the right speed. I know I should have a 200 mhz FSB or at least 166. However, this thing wont go higher than 133 and work. Anyway, just trying not to waste the new processor and as a last resort, I will buy a new board if I can find a socket A board that supports 200/400 FSB. Thanks for the help.
Old 20th February, 2006, 10:40 PM

Hey tforce2

What do you mean by "does not work"? Do you get a POST or do you have to reset your bios to its default values? What memory are you using and what are its rated specs?

You are running a VIA chipset board. This means when changing FSB you often have to change the FSB/AGP/PCI dividers too. You may also have to change your memory/FSB settings. If you are running for ex PC2700 memory you may not be able run at the same memory timings or just not run at all. For that reason there is also a memory FSB divider.
By trying to configure your CPU it's quite hard to kill it unless it is running way too hot. You can run your CPU too hot if you have an improperly mounted heatsink or you are setting a way too high vcore voltage for your cooling capacity.

I'll explain the different dividers commonly found on boards with VIA chipset. For in case you didn't know this already.

First there is the FSB/AGP/PCI frequency. To understand this you need to know that you want your AGP/PCI frequencies to run at their normal speeds. This is 66Mhz for the AGP bus and 33Mhz for the PCI bus. When increasing your FSB and leaving the frequency dividers alone you increase all the other frequencies as well. Note that the storage devices such as IDE depend on the PCI bus and usually don't handle greatly increased bus speeds very well. The same can be said for certain AGP cards. Usually ATI cards are less tolerant than NVIDIA cards. When increased too much your system will not do a POST. I'll give a few examples.

You set your FSB to 166Mhz.
When the divider "4/2/1" is set you are running your PCI bus at 41.5Mhz
166 divided by 4 and multiplied by 1 (last nr) is 41.5. This is too much and may corrupt your file system.
For the AGP bus calculation you divide 166 by 4 and multiply it by 2 (2nd number). This is 83Mhz which is also too much. Your memory will run synchronously with the FSB.

This means you will need to set 5/2/1 when you want to run the FSB at 166Mhz and 6/2/1 when you want to run it at 200 Mhz.

Note that there is also a jumper on your motherboard to switch between 100 / 133 / 166 Mhz. This might be the thing to change for a correct divider configuration.
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/...400-kt400.html

Please do some searching about this as well. It's been a while since I configured a VIA board.

If you don't want to go through all this trouble don't hold yourself from buying an nforce2 ultra chipset board. These do have frequency locking and allow you to adjust FSB settings in any way you want. Those are very cheap as well nowadays.

Some extra VIA KT400 overclockings here:
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=39

Cheers and gl
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21
Old 21st February, 2006, 12:26 AM

Wolf...
Thanks for the info. I am at work right now and I will look at this as soon as I get home. When I set the FSB to 166, Basically I got fans going but nothing else. No hard drive action and just a blank screen. Have to rest jumpers and good to go but not at correct speed. I am assuming the divider settings are in the bios. I am going to print this out and crack on this tonight or tomorrow night. If this all works, I will report back. Thanks for the advice.
Old 21st February, 2006, 12:31 AM

Memory is 1 DDR400, 1 DDR333 and 1DDR 266. I have pulled out the 266 and tried with only the ddr400 and ddr333 each in place by itself.
Old 22nd February, 2006, 03:52 AM

Update:

I did some checking and this chip needs a 200 mhz setting. Not supported by this board. Unless the IWILL tech has a trick, this project will be on hold til I get a board that will support 200 mhz setting.

On the plus side, I am tons smarter about upgrades thanks to this forum and the other research I have been doing. Thanks for the advice.