AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th February, 2006, 06:43 PM

AHHH The Heat!

Hi guys

Got a problem my pc shut down due to my CPU overheating just got a crap heatsink and fan for now but it still seems to be running around 65-68C under load its a AMD64 FX-53 running stock speeds can anyone sugest a good heatsink/fan that can go straight on without me removing motherboard etc?

Thanks
Old 25th February, 2006, 06:47 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

The very best, at least right now, is the thermaltake typhoon, or the vapochill micro. both require replacing the plastic mounting bracket around the socket. MOst decent aftermarket cooler WILL require this, as the clamping force has alot to do with how well the heatsink transfers heat.

You may jusy have to bite the bullet and pull the system apart.
Old 25th February, 2006, 06:50 PM
AOA Staff

Does it still overheat with cool 'n' quiet enabled?
Old 25th February, 2006, 07:03 PM

ah just turned it on and took the side panal off its now running at 48-52c
Old 25th February, 2006, 07:10 PM
AOA Staff

That should keep you stable until you get another cooler!
Old 25th February, 2006, 07:12 PM

ooh creaping up to 58 when on EQ2
Old 25th February, 2006, 07:33 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

There's a surprise for EQ2

That reminds me, should I get KOS for AAs or not?
Old 25th February, 2006, 10:08 PM
Space Invaders Champion, Takion Champion

I saw a review on X-Bit about a cooler called the Tuniq Tower. It's $50 and was the best one they'd ever tested. The Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro is also pretty good, for the price ($30)
"this happened to me once, only i kept wiping my nose in my sleep, so it was my hands that were covered in blood when i woke up. i saw my hands, and was like, "dear diary, all i remember is watching half a movie and falling asleep on the couch?" -Ryan North
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th February, 2006, 11:36 AM

The new Arctic Cooler Freezers are easiy the best buy because they cost a mere £17 so not only are they the cheapest but they also cool the best as well. Really there's no competition, in fact even Water Cooling has now lost it's edge because of the Freezers. Why pay £150 for a watercooling kit which is out performed by a £17 HSF?
I am not aware of this other HSF but at $50 (£26) it is going to need not just to cool better than the Freezer 7/64 but a LOT better to justify the extra tenner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th February, 2006, 08:12 PM

just got an Evo 33 cooler for £10 my temps are now down to 47 - 55 is this normal for an FX chip as my old 3000+ only used to hit 45 underload when overclocked
Old 28th February, 2006, 02:21 AM

I wouldn't spend the money on a new cooler... just clean off the old thermal paste and reapply the paste properly.

At stock speeds that cpu should idle at less than 40c

DFI Lanparty S939 NF3 Ultra-D | AMD X2 4200 @ 2.6GHz | 1gb OCZ pc3200 rev2 TCC5 | ATI X800XT Platinum Edition| 2x120G WD | Plextor 712a | Antec SLK3700AMB| 520w OCZ PowerStream | Zalman 7000Cu

My Heatware 100% Positive