AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd March, 2006, 01:53 AM

Chipset and PWMIC Temps

Just wondering how hot is too hot in regards to the chipset and PWMIC temps. Currently my CPU temps are fine (about 35 idle, 44 load), but the other temps are suspect.

In short, here is the scenario: I just purchased a Gigabyte Aurora 3D, and was all set to love it (and usher in my next level of tinkering...watercooling). When I got everything built, I was less than happy with the temps (CPU was still OK). Upon running rthdribl for 20 mins, the temps for chipset and PWMIC were like 55-63 C. I even had 2 additional Panaflo 80 cms to assist in pulling in air from the outside. SLI vid cards (with Zalmans) were like 96 C!.

I came over from my Coolermaster Praetorian, and I never had temps like those. Chipset was prolly 45 C on load, PWMIC a little less.

One thing I did on the Aurora....I took out the "Coffee filter" on the intake. I feel that thing was restricting inlet flow BIGTIME. Seemed to help a little on the next rthdribl round...about 55 C and 80 C for the vid cards.

How hot is too hot? Should I consider going back to the Praetorian? I'm a little peeved at how high the case/chipset temps are, and I don't want to bake that chipset.

Please answer if you can, it is a big help.
Thanks!
OCZ Powerstream 520
74 GB Raptor
Audigy 2 ZS
2 eVGA 7800GTs (SLI)
2 x 1GB Mushkin Redlines

SURFER/FOLDER
AMD 3000+ Venice
Epox EP-9NPA+ Ultra
2x512 Corsair PC3200XL v1.2 (TCCD)
Thermalright XP-90 + 92mm Panaflo
160g Hitachi Deskstar SATA
ASUS 6600 PCIe
Antec Neopower 480
NEC DVD drive
Windows XP Pro SP2
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd March, 2006, 02:01 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

I use the same case with no problems.chipset temps are the same as the system beinginstalled outside the case. i would check the position of your HDD's, and rove the black parts box from the HDD rack as well. the fans provided with the gigabyte aurora do not move alot of air very fast, so anything impeding the airflow hurts. as well, please keep in mind that the HDD's will keat hte air that comes in, and opening that "Windows to improve airflow really doesn't do much for ya, because now you've ruined the flow of air through the case...the fans @ the back will be drawing air through the "window" more than from indie the case in such a situation.

Than being siad, faster fans at the back, primarily the lower 120mm should greatly hlep temps...but with the system listed in my sig being installed in this case, i have no issues...and i got one of the hottest vidcards out there...mind you it does exhaust air rather than dumping it's heated air into the case, which i suspect is the root of your problems.