AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th March, 2006, 07:14 PM

Overclocking AMD 3700

Hi everyone,

I've recently been trying to overclock my AMD athlon64 3700, I got it to go as far as 2.53 GHZ while remaining stable and cool (with cool'n'quiet on, it idles around 34, and under load it goes up to around 44-45. Without CNC, add 2 or 3 degrees)
However, if I go any higher, (more than 240x11 in BIOS) it boots up, then instantly restarts after windows loads up and I log on. I figure I need to increase the voltage, but I'm not exactly sure how, or how much, so I wanted to get some advice before I tried anything else. I can't afford a new processor

(I've never overclocked a CPU before, thanks to Dell and their CPU lock, luckily I built my current PC myself.)
Old 5th March, 2006, 07:31 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Ok, I think the issue here is that your HTT is exceeding 1Ghz.

Try dropping the HTT Multi to 4X. That should keep things stable.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th March, 2006, 07:44 PM

ya pitch is right if that doesn't work try increasin Dram v core that did it for me a few times.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th March, 2006, 07:49 PM

I changed the HTT to 4x, no luck. It still crashed. I'll try your idea now madcat.
Also, should I go ahead and leave the HTT at 4x, or change it back to auto?
Thanks for your help.
Old 5th March, 2006, 08:22 PM

If your gonna go over HTT 200, then leave it @ 4. Also, check your memory divider.
Old 6th March, 2006, 12:51 AM

I adjused my ram to 133 MHz, and I've got a stable overclock to 2.80 ghz right now, I'm going to run CPU burn-in for a while to make sure.
I might try to up my ram again later, but I'll just leave it for now, I don't wanna' push my luck.

EDIT: by the way, how many posts do I need to have a signature? Or do I have to have a paid subscription?
Just curious.
Old 6th March, 2006, 02:24 AM

Could you run Cpu-Z please, and post a pic of the CPU and MEMORY tab please. ty
Old 6th March, 2006, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by add3r0l
Could you run Cpu-Z please, and post a pic of the CPU and MEMORY tab please. ty
Sure thing.
http://filenuke.com/yourfiles//1141617920.PNG
The ram's running a bit fast, I have it set to 133, but i guess that doesn't matter much.
If I set it (the ram) any higher, it won't boot, so I'll just leave it for now, I don't feel like messing with it
Old 6th March, 2006, 06:04 PM

Well, 3 things,

1. If you have PC3200, you should have your divider set to 166. Cause with 133, your mem is running @ 327mhz. (reason i say to try 166, is to get your cpu/mem to run sync)

2. You also could set your vcore a bit higher (if needed) Looks like you have it set to 1.4v. You could probably get a 270+ HTT with a little more voltage. (but not always)

3. You should also try to drop your multi down to 9 and try to push the HTT to see how far you can go. You could also try 10 for multi.

One other thing, im not sure what your default timings are. But you could try setting them to 2.5-3-3-7. From the pic, it looks like it could handle it.

Right now i have a 300 HTT with 8 multi. My default multi is 10. So i dropped the multi a bit and pushed the HTT as far as i could (atm my cpu/mem is 1:1). I also had to set my vcore to 1.65. But then again, my default vcore is 1.5. So its not to bad. Idle is 20c, load is 38c.

Well, good luck and have fun.
Old 6th March, 2006, 06:10 PM

Forgot to add this. Just thought id show ya a qwik pic.

Overclocking AMD 3700-cpuz.jpg
Old 6th March, 2006, 07:24 PM

Thanks for the tips, I tried upping my ram to 166 earlier, but i wouldn't let me boot up. I'll try increasing the voltage a little first, and see what I can do from there.

Also, I can't find a place to adjust the multi in BIOS, on all the tutorials it's either in power user, or advanced chipset features, but not in mine. I looked everywhere, but I guess it's my cheap biostar MoBo, might not support it.
Old 13th March, 2006, 05:50 PM

Have you tried to put HTT 3x and mem freq 133mhz ?
Old 13th March, 2006, 06:38 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, Toastmaster, add3rO1 and neoman!

You don't need a whole lot of posts before you can use your own sig and you don't need to be a Subscriber, Toastmaster.