AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th March, 2006, 10:47 PM

Send a message via MSN to rmfought

Where have all the Athlon XP's gone?

I know I have been out of it for a while - the last time I tracked CPUs/prices was last summer - but it seems like the Athlon XP CPUs (Thoroughbred/Barton/Thorton etc) just vanished. Back when I bought my new 2400+ Thoroughbred, I could still score a 950 MHz Thunderbird for $30 - now I am looking to replace that very same Thunderbird with an Athlon XP chip (it's an older MB, Shuttle AK12A) and they are nowhere to be found except on E-Bay.

Any new ones I can find are ridiculously priced compared to the good old days. Have chip prices gone up in general, or have the XPs crossed over into that "specialty replacement hardware" zone?
Antec Nine Hundred case, Fortron 600W PS, Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wi-Fi, Athlon 64 X2 5200+, Zalman CNPS9500-AM2 w/Arctic Silver Ceramique, 2x1024 MB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800, ATI Radeon X1950XTX, Creative Soundblaster X-Fi. 6100 3dMarks (06)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th March, 2006, 10:59 PM

Ebuyer (UK at least) have some Socket A's.
Old 8th March, 2006, 10:59 PM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

I was speaking to a guy in my local computer shop the other week, he says socket A athlons are becoming very hard to get hold of now. He said it would be easier to get hold of chicken teeth.
I think everything has moved up to A64 now. As will I when money permits
Old 8th March, 2006, 11:12 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I noticed the same thing. Wanted to upgrade the boy's tbird to an XP chip..An xp2500 is 104 on pricewatch...yikes......Back when I bought my Mobile it was only about 65 bucks.....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th March, 2006, 01:16 AM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

Athlon XP's have been rebranded as sempron's in the socket A range. Though they are being phased out, socket A died a few months back now I believe production has stopped and all thats left is unsold stock, could be wrong though
Old 9th March, 2006, 01:21 AM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwalton
socket A died a few months back now
Rest In peace.
Old 9th March, 2006, 01:07 PM
Breakout Champion

It is a shame that they are disapearing. My Mobile Athlon XP Barton is still running like a champ, and i will probably keep it until AMD starts releasing the new socket type, and there are new motherboards to support them. I am trying to wait to upgrade until DDR2 is becoming the new standard....but until then i LOVE my Athlon XP, it has been a great chip to have, and has never let me down.
Ubuntu

HP Pavillion DV9535nr Laptop

AOA Team fah AOA Team files
"Who you callin a psycho?!" Kingpin
Old 9th March, 2006, 02:39 PM

So are the "Sempron" CPUs exactly the same as Athlon XP's - only named differently? Would there be any compatibility issues with an older motherboard like mine other than the fact that the Semprons are 333 MHz?
Antec Nine Hundred case, Fortron 600W PS, Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wi-Fi, Athlon 64 X2 5200+, Zalman CNPS9500-AM2 w/Arctic Silver Ceramique, 2x1024 MB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800, ATI Radeon X1950XTX, Creative Soundblaster X-Fi. 6100 3dMarks (06)
Old 9th March, 2006, 07:41 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The Semprons sport half of the L2 cache and require Socket 754 m'boards, AFAIK. They are great performers, all the same. It bites when you are "punished" for staying behind the leading edge.
Old 9th March, 2006, 07:45 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

There are some socket A semprons (at least, there where the last time I looked.) They should be compatable with most socket A boards. Something tells me they are based on the Thoroughbred-b core, but I don't know if that's right or not.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 9th March, 2006, 11:57 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarkotikBuzz
It is a shame that they are disapearing. My Mobile Athlon XP Barton is still running like a champ, and i will probably keep it until AMD starts releasing the new socket type, and there are new motherboards to support them. I am trying to wait to upgrade until DDR2 is becoming the new standard....but until then i LOVE my Athlon XP, it has been a great chip to have, and has never let me down.

I'm with you on this. My mobile has torn up every Sempron system I have built for other people. The last Sempron I built was a 3100+ and I pushed it up to 220FSB and my Mobile still had it hands down....

I still am not pushed to upgrade quite yet...Maybe when the higher end A64 chips drop alittle. Too much to invest with a board, cpu, and a new pci-e vid card.

BTW I did see am XP 2800 on newegg for 129.....good grief...
Old 10th March, 2006, 01:25 AM

LOL

Yeah, I've been tracking some XP2400+ 266 Thoroughbreds on E-Bay, they're going for around $80 new. Just goes to show the demand for these great CPUs.

NewEgg does show some Socket A Semprons - for example, a Sempron 2400+ Thoroughbred 333 MHz goes for $72. I'm just not convinced that they are 100% backwards compatible with Athlon XP/Duron Thoroughbreds.

I am very surprised that Socket A has dropped off so quickly considering the investment it takes to step up to a 64-bit system. The end of an era I guess. By the time I get around to building a new system there isn't going to be single part I recognize.
Old 10th March, 2006, 05:42 PM

I have one of each - an NF2 w/ XP1700B and an NF3 with Opteron 146. Both are heavily overclocked and watercooled but I actually see little difference except in benchmarks and folding stats. In day to day use, they feel roughly equal.

Epox 8RDA+, XP1700B at 2400MHz (12x200), 512MB BH5, SlitEdge, BIX
Epox 8RDA6+ Pro, XP2600M at 2645MHz (12.5x212), LittleRiverWhiteWater #095, Eheim1250, Heatercore
Old 10th March, 2006, 06:06 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

the socket a semprons are old athlon cores, mainly t'bred and bartons. They run at similar clocks speeds to the old athlon xp's but there are some slight differences and also the model ranking has gone up! (a 2400+ would of been an old 2200+ or somthing like that i cant actually remember) whilst cache tends to have gone down (most are 256k whilst you could get 512k before).

Most old boards should support them if they can handle the correct bus frequency (266 / 333 mhz) the name might not be correct but a bios update usually fixes that
Old 11th March, 2006, 04:02 PM

Sempron actually comes in three flavors: Socket 754 64 bit capable, Socket 754 NOT 64 bit capable, and Socket A. Any board that supports Socket A at 333 FSB should run the Sempron socket A chips with no problem, bear inmind that the Socket A Semprons are much slower for their Speed rating, 3000+ being 2.0 ghz instead of 2400+.

AOA Team fah