AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th March, 2006, 08:22 PM

looking to oc

howdy, im am completly new to the oc world, but i would like to try to push my amd64 3000 to around 2g it currantly runs at 1.8.
I really cant afford to replace any hardware(fans heatsinks and whatnot) so i am wondering if the stock fand would work around that range?

as for mobo i have an asus a8n-sli (came with the alienware)
1gig ram (512 x2) dont konw brand
not sure what else is needed for info.
just let me know ill find it.
Attached Thumbnails
looking to oc-cpuz-cpu.jpg   looking to oc-cpuz-mem.jpg  
Old 20th March, 2006, 09:05 PM

Do you Have the stock cooler? What case do you have? does it have fans? what power supply do you have? we can help but need to know what you have. there are alot of variables to get a safe overclock. I have a 3000+ winny @ 2142 and have had it too 2225 but I just installed a a8n32-sli and still playing around and will go lots higher.

My rig
tt xaserIII v1000a | a8n32-sli deluxe | 64 3000+ winny w/zalman 9500 led | antec eps tp 550 24 pin | 7800gt's in sli w/ nv silencer 5's | 3-hdds
Attached Thumbnails
looking to oc-ccpuz.png  

Last edited by djwjtruckin; 20th March, 2006 at 09:16 PM. Reason: want to add att. cpuz
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th March, 2006, 09:26 PM

heres part of my invoice i know the case has a large fan on the back, the fan in the psu and a smaller fan on the side and i have the stock coolers only.
more info on my system
1 | AURORA
1 | FULL-TOWER PURPLE CASE 1.5
1 | ASUS A8N-SLI BASIC NFORCE4 MB
1 | ATHLON 64 3000 E 512KB CACHE 939-PIN
2 | ALIENWARE 512MB DDR PC3200LL
1 | 16X DVD-ROM REV.2
1 | BARRACUDA 80GB 8MB CACHE SERIAL ATA WITH NCQ HD
1 | ASUS A8N-SLI REALTEK ALC850 ON-BOARD AUDIO
2 | EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE 6800 GT 256MB PCIE
1 | MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP HOME COA
1 | CYBERLINK POWERDVD 8 CHANNEL 7.1 XP
1 | ALIENGUISE INVADER
1 | OWNER IDENTIFICATION CARD
1 | 650 WATT ATX2.0 POWER SUPPLY WITH ACTIVE PFC
1 | AMD FX57 DUAL CORE HSF CL-P0075
2 | GFX CK03-1225 DUAL SLOT CARD KEEPER
1 | NVIDIA SLI TECHNOLOGY CONFIGURATION

let me know what else youll need
Old 22nd March, 2006, 06:17 PM

thats odd, one of the programs changed my voltage down to 1.392 (as shown in cpu-z) i checked my bios its still set to default settings should i force it back to 1.5 like in my previos screenshot of cpu-z?
Old 22nd March, 2006, 06:23 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I'm not familiar with A64, so I can't help you out much, but I do know that if you have Cool-N-Quiet enabled, it will change the voltage depending on the current needs of the CPU; when it's not doing much, the CPU throttles back and the voltage drops, when it's running hard, the CPU cranks up and the voltage goes up as well.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd March, 2006, 06:27 PM

that i didnt know lol, i hate how alienware did not give me any books on my hardware...ill go download the book from asus

i see what happend its a proggram called ai booster that i downloaded from asus, will run my pc underload see what it does then, thanks for the quick reply btw

Last edited by sysshock; 22nd March, 2006 at 06:50 PM.
Old 22nd March, 2006, 07:20 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

In bios, set you volts to 1.55 if you can, then up the FSB by 20. I am unsure of what ram you are using, so it may limit you.

Other than that, drop the HTT multi down to 4x, and you should be good to go. Just be prepared to corrupt windows while trying to find stability, although it has been a long time since i screwed up windows clocking myself.
Old 23rd March, 2006, 08:48 AM

to be honest i have no clue what brand it is, other than it came with the alienware
Old 26th March, 2006, 08:43 PM

just an update, after relocating my pc i decided to pull the cover off to dust it out, and i have this cpu cooling device on it http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/2005/c...5/cl-p0075.htm
my memory only says alienware on it so i cant get much more info for that, the powersupply is silverstone sst-st65zf 650 watts http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-65zf.htm
thats all i could see by looking at my hardware.
Old 26th March, 2006, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
, although it has been a long time since i screwed up windows clocking myself.
I screwed up my x-fi long before windows took notice, the first sign is when your clock resets in the bios.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 27th March, 2006, 04:28 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcatmk3
I screwed up my x-fi long before windows took notice, the first sign is when your clock resets in the bios.

Then your problem was most likely the chipset on your motherboard, or no pci-lock.
Old 28th March, 2006, 09:00 PM

on the currant setup im running my oc at the following
225 x 9 for 2025
turned my htt mul to x4
voltage is 1.5

i ran 3dmark06 and got a decent score of 4007 and my cpu temp stayed under 40c as far as i could keep track. will post my score link in the benchmark threads
Old 26th June, 2006, 08:29 PM

its been awhile and i couldnt remember what the name of the site here was but thanks to my bday email i was able to return.

i have pushed my oq to 2.25 right now with very little cpu heat increase, my load temp stays at 48c but then i am also in summer and my ambiant temp around the house is always 70f+ or higher.

i think i made it to 12hours running prime95 with no errors, but stopped so i could go do other stuff...

but its good to have refound the site again.