AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd October, 2001, 03:27 AM

Tom's Hardware says AMD chips FRY

So what do you guys think about that? tomshardware seems to show AMD chips frying in less than a second if they lose their heatsinks. "So what... I don't plan on losing my heat sink" you say? The real question is if any computer vendor in their right mind will continue to sell amd chips if their customers are likely to fry em and then seek a free replacement?
Old 2nd October, 2001, 03:37 AM

Send a message via ICQ to William Send a message via AIM to William

wrong thread?

Allied Sites Support Team - Content/Design (director)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd October, 2001, 03:55 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I read the article you refered to a while back. The vid clip was cool. Regarding OEMs, they will probably look for a more "stable" HSF solution. Bang for the buck & perfomance wise, AMD is a good deal.

Big vendors don't exactly fear users opening up the case and messing around. I don't think it will stop anyone from building AMD systems, maybe a little more cautious tho. All HSF makers should start using the holes on the MB by the CPU... that's what they're for aren't they? I doubt a HSF attached that way could ever fall off.

SteveI.
Old 2nd October, 2001, 05:54 AM
Stanman

So you fry one, and replace it, you still have spent less money and have a better performer than some of your "other" cpu choices.
Old 2nd October, 2001, 06:36 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

AMD CPU's run hot. Wow! I never knew that, thanks for setting me straight, Dr Papst!

Slow news day at tomshardware? Just like everywhere else for the last month.

Before the price of P4's fell out of the stratosphere(except for the fastest one, natch) you could buy another T-Bird to replace the one that you stupidly burned up. And still have enough left over to buy another, just in case your foolishness knows no bounds.

The Palomino is said to run 12-20% cooler than T-birds. This is a badly needed step in the right direction. And a heat-spreader a' la P4 is a no brainer. Hey Sanders--wake up!!!
Old 2nd October, 2001, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
AMD CPU's run hot. Wow! I never knew that, thanks for setting me straight, Dr Papst!

The Palomino is said to run 12-20% cooler than T-birds. This is a badly needed step in the right direction. And a heat-spreader a' la P4 is a no brainer. Hey Sanders--wake up!!!
I don't know who Dr Papst or Sanders are. I couldn't find their posts in this thread. No problem about the info, yes they do run hot.

I totally agree with you on the price issue (although buying a new chip AND and mobo would not be the same price as getting the P4 equivilent.) Why I posted was that OEMs that I know have been rethinking which chips they push on the basis on that video clip of chips burning. I would prefer more, not less, OEMs selling AMD chips.

William: what do you mean "wrong thread"
Old 2nd October, 2001, 11:32 AM

I think what William met was wrong forum. As this was moved from the folding forum. No big deal.

As far as OEM's go I don't know how much of a concern it is to them 99% of the people that buy from an OEM will never bother to open there box.

I think the cost factor would be more of a concern to them. Buy that I mean the initial cost. Most OEM warranty's are voided if you open the box so I really don't think it bothers them all that much.

My 2¢
Old 2nd October, 2001, 11:46 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
The real question is if any computer vendor in their right mind will continue to sell amd chips if their customers are likely to fry em and then seek a free replacement?
If you're selling a machine to John Doe on the street, you can sell it as a "black box", in precisely the same way you'd sell a VCR etc. It's a sealed box that you don't open.

On the other hand, it would be fairly obvious if the chip had been fried by a customer who did not know how to handle it.

I do agree with the criticism that most HSF combinations do lack a secure fastening mechanism. Whilst it may add some cost provide a standardised reliable mounting mechanism, it wouldn't be bourne by AMD. AMD would provide a standard mounting mechanism, but the cost would come on the motherboard/HSF side. AMD would need to provide the standard, and then have leading board manufacturers adopt it. Such a mechanism could quite easily remove the problem with cracked cores by ensuring that pressure is applied correctly.

On the other hand, who has had a HSF fall off in normal operation? I don't count ppl like us who may remove and replace the heatsink many times over it's lifetime.

Áedán
Old 2nd October, 2001, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hugo 59
I think what William met was wrong forum. As this was moved from the folding forum. No big deal.
Really? How weird. I was sure I made sure that I didn't put it in folding because I knew it didn't go there. How odd.

Anyway, many thanks for your comments. I wholeheartedly agree.
Old 2nd October, 2001, 01:57 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

How many OEM's do you know that have even heard of Toms Hardware - I can tell you all now that they have not got a clue what they are doing and as such will continue to buy AMD so long as it is cheap and cheerful.

The day that this ceases to be the case, Intel will have the crown again. Althought that is something I doubt.

If a PC is built correctly with the correct measures taken to ensure that such a catastrophe does not occur - nothing untoward should happen. We all still remain happy.

Tom Pabst perhaps scared a lot of people with that article. That shows by the fact that this thread is here. Regarding those small OEM's - they don't even know what they gotta be scared about.
Old 2nd October, 2001, 02:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
Originally posted by DeepScience
I don't know who Dr Papst or Sanders are.
Dr. Papst = Tom Papst, owner of Tom's Hardware
Sanders = Jerry Sanders, Chief Executive Officer of American Micro Devices

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd October, 2001, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wild_andy_c
How many OEM's do you know that have even heard of Toms Hardware - I can tell you all now that they have not got a clue what they are doing and as such will continue to buy AMD so long as it is cheap and cheerful.

The day that this ceases to be the case, Intel will have the crown again. Althought that is something I doubt.

If a PC is built correctly with the correct measures taken to ensure that such a catastrophe does not occur - nothing untoward should happen. We all still remain happy.

Tom Pabst perhaps scared a lot of people with that article. That shows by the fact that this thread is here. Regarding those small OEM's - they don't even know what they gotta be scared about.
Gotta agree with you, Andy. I know processors get hot, and hot things tend to burn up, unless you cool them. That's all kinda a no brainer. But if you're careful, and make sure your HSF is safely attached, we'll be happy and shiny all the live long day. So just be smart, and your processor will be happy, too.

And no, Chicken Little, the sky is not falling, that's just an acorn. Now here, have some of this yummy Ritalin!
Old 11th October, 2001, 10:20 PM

Who needs HSF anyway.

Hell no! H2O! Nice and cool that way Don't have to worry about frying the chip unless you don't insulate it well. I would really like to use FC-72 florocarbon but it's so expensive and evaporates faster than my money seems to. Oh well, H2O and some water wetter