AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th June, 2006, 12:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to djXternal Send a message via MSN to djXternal Send a message via Yahoo to djXternal

Can I get it any faster?

Ok guys well I finally have a spare setup to really try and get a decent clock out of my spare processor, So I began the overclocking process today with new memory (PC3200) since I originally though I was limited on my overclock by the slow speed of my original memory. I managed to run the new memory at 180Mhz stable tested with MemTest.... I changed the multi on the processor (AMD Athlon MP 1600+) to 9x and tried to boot with the settings of 180x9 = 1620Mhz, I have had this successfully running at 175x9.5 = 1662Mhz successfully with my old memory so i back the fsb down to 175 and upped the multi up to 9.5, nd it tested stable with prime95, but would not go any higher on the fsb even with a vcore of 1.8v, currently it is aircooled but I have a watercooling setup laying around I'm probably going to hook up on this.

My question is... is there anything I can do to get this clock any faster, will the wc help at all? or is this just as fast as it can manage?
Old 9th June, 2006, 01:48 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

It tends to be very hot in Florida during the summer. Water cooling should enable you to go faster.
Old 9th June, 2006, 02:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to djXternal Send a message via MSN to djXternal Send a message via Yahoo to djXternal

alright well in a few weeks after i move to pa i will start working on installing the water cooling and see if it helps any.... I think just moving to pa will help some
Old 9th June, 2006, 03:18 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Yeah, it definitely looks like you are CPU limited. Better cooling should help that.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th June, 2006, 04:38 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Is 8rgm3i a mATX mobo w/ onboard NF2 graphics? If yes, are you using the onboard graphics currently? If the answer is yes, your mobo cannot handle high fsb... You will be limited at 175 to 190 typically.

To confirm this, increase the multiplier to 10, and run at 166 fsb for 1666 w/ 1.7v. If this is stable, start ticking up the fsb a couple of notches at a time... if you get a stable faster cpu speed, increase the multiplier again....

Good luck with that.
Old 9th June, 2006, 12:06 PM

yes the onboard graphics do seem to be limited to 180Mhz, before my fsb was limited by my RAM which would only get up to 175Mhz, but I will try that today after work to be sure
Old 10th June, 2006, 12:28 AM

well seems like it might have been the chipset limiting the clock, its running prime95 right now at 166x10 and seems to be fine, I'll up the fsb in a bit after prime has had some time to run
Old 10th June, 2006, 04:04 PM

well looks like 169x10 is going to be the fastest possible with air-cooling, thanks for the help guys