AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12th June, 2006, 10:37 PM

I don't really see the point in buying a weaker processor in exchange for savings. Then again I'm sure I could build a few thing on sckt 939 cheap now...
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th June, 2006, 01:00 AM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

well well is amd really throwing in the towel allready and conceeding the performance crown. It just shows how much of a profit they were making on the x2's if they can take 50% off the asking price.
I was lead to believe that amd chips have been in short supply hence the stupidly high prices of late. I guess they are expecting a stockpile soon.

odd though that the info has been leaked as they said dont release it now as it will hurt current sales, well now its enthusiast knowledge sales are going to go through the floor for now. AM2 really is going to fall flat on its face if people are now either waiting for conroe or waiting for massive price cuts
Old 13th June, 2006, 01:07 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Thanks guys. I'm having to hold firm on spending of late, but ya never know when good things might happen...":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th June, 2006, 04:24 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwalton
well well is amd really throwing in the towel allready and conceeding the performance crown. It just shows how much of a profit they were making on the x2's if they can take 50% off the asking price.
I was lead to believe that amd chips have been in short supply hence the stupidly high prices of late. I guess they are expecting a stockpile soon.

odd though that the info has been leaked as they said dont release it now as it will hurt current sales, well now its enthusiast knowledge sales are going to go through the floor for now. AM2 really is going to fall flat on its face if people are now either waiting for conroe or waiting for massive price cuts
As I read it, AMD is getting ready to manufacture the 65nm parts. Basically, they have to flush the production line of the current 90nm stuff, and then start pumping out 65nm stuff. So they take a writeoff on current 90nm inventory which hurts their earnings for one quarter (or maybe two), and then they are building 65nm parts and making a good profit again. My guess is that Chartered Semi is their ace-in-the-hole and is ready to start cranking out parts at 65nm, just waiting for AMD to give the word. They won't make as much money of the Chartered parts as they would off their own production, but they will still making money.

'Course, I'm just guessing. Cadaveca may have a better feel on the matter.
Old 13th June, 2006, 04:40 AM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
I thought there were issues with running a Turion in a S754 mobo? Something about the BIOS getting persnickety and refusing to boot or something?
Ah yes, the root of all computer problems... Persnicketyness.

It should be kept in mind here, that AM2 chips are just the same old Athlon 64 but with DDR2. This isn't a "new" product they are launching. It will definitely have a bit of an effect on current sales, but I do think this pricing is a positive for AMD. All those with little cash and high hopes will now be pleased with this.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 13th June, 2006, 04:48 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
I thought there were issues with running a Turion in a S754 mobo? Something about the BIOS getting persnickety and refusing to boot or something?
Not too familiar with the issue myself, but ya'know a hacked bios would right any wrongs. Simply the unidentified CPUID causing issues @ boot.

I think you are pretty spot-on with your summary, Giz...90nm is a-plenty right now.

A while back we heard "The End of the 939 Opteron". sure, maybe off the fab, no new ones(ie core enhancements, etc), but in reality we were hearing that AMD was too busy pumping out the AM2 singlecores to spin off some Opties.

Again, later, we have heard "The End of Socket 939", and again, AMD is busy producing X2 AM2's en masse...and cannot fulfill 939 demand(3000+, 3200+, and 3500+ all but dissappear off of shelves).

At this point, AMD realized that it might have a problem in the future. Twice they were asked for more, and twice they did not deliver. Seeking to end this problem, Chartered was brought into the mix, and given a chance to show what they could do with the Opteron(Venus,Toldeo). After giving it a go, they reported higher yields than even AMD was able to pull off! "06xx" SKT 939 cpu's are born. 3000+ to 4000+ receive a resurgance on the market, at greatly reduced prices(ie the last week or so).

Chartered doesn't have huge production numbers for AMD tho...they can increase overall output, but not triple, or even double the number of cpu's AMD can put on the shelf.

Taking a look at what cpu's have which datecodes, etc., it seems that AMD have stopped producing 939 cores themselves, and when demand is there Chartered picks up the slack in the channel...939, AM2, "F"...whatever the largest demand is calling for.

With introduction of AM2 well underway, 939 cores will slowly become a rarity. 45000 wafer-starts a month, give or take a few thousand, with 55% or less yields, means AMD and Chartered are spewing out as many AM2 cores as they can...Chartered with 90nm, and AMD most likely focusing on 65nm, and upcoming cpu's.

With the addition of Chartered's higher yields, AMD can drop prices, and becasue they spend less manpower themselves on "old tech", they can drop prices further. Sure, they don't make as much from Chartered's silicon, but they can now use the resources to bolster output where it's really needed...enough so that AM2 and 939 singlecores, as well as some dualcores, are gonna be cheaper than anyone ever imagined.

But what else did ya expect, with quad's on the way?

..... I'm not the only one who's heard what's going on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbes.com
Walia recommended investors sell Intel stock, saying that "there seems very little chance of Intel's gross margins bottoming before end of the September 2006 quarter."

He also characterized the stock as "dead money."
http://www.forbes.com/2006/06/12/int...partner=alerts

AMD has done what they wanted already!

Last edited by cadaveca; 13th June, 2006 at 04:56 AM.
Old 13th June, 2006, 05:24 AM
Steve Jobs

Where's WZ when you need him
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 13th June, 2006, 05:34 AM

Wow, I was thinking the exact same thing LOL
Old 13th June, 2006, 12:37 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I recall the simpler days of AMD when a K62 was cheap and had great performance over Intel. Things are much more complicated after the T-bird cps's. Prices went up and many could not afford to upgrade anymore. Hopefully this will allow budget minded tweakers to get back in the game with some up to date hardware. I for one can not spend 500 on a cpu and also have to change everything else to go with it...
Old 13th June, 2006, 12:51 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
Where's WZ when you need him
He OC his Conroe so badly that AOA turned into SOS and he can't stand another punch below his belt
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 13th June, 2006, 01:16 PM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow
I recall the simpler days of AMD when a K62 was cheap and had great performance over Intel. Things are much more complicated after the T-bird cps's. Prices went up and many could not afford to upgrade anymore. Hopefully this will allow budget minded tweakers to get back in the game with some up to date hardware. I for one can not spend 500 on a cpu and also have to change everything else to go with it...
I hear you mate! Back then, the Pentium 2 450Mhz was $1100 Australian. I bought my K6-2 333Mhz for $100, and later a K6-2 for 500Mhz. When you think about the fact that the K6-2s were competing on a price basis with rubbish Celerons, there is no contest.

Then my first K7 series chip, and the chip that first brought me to AOA in 2002. The Morgan core Duron 1300Mhz. That Duron was wiping the floor with 2.4Ghz Pentium 4s with a mild overclock, and cost $90. The 2.4Ghz P4s at the time were $400 each.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 13th June, 2006, 06:29 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

There's still a ton of money to be made selling cheap CPU's. Glad to see AMD remembers that as well as we do... Less hope Intel now humiliates them by under pricing them! ( A Guy can dream!":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 13th June, 2006, 07:10 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I imagine that the majority of CPU's sold are the inexpensive ones. I for one never buy a "new" cpu...Can't afford it..plus it defeats the idea of overclocking. Why buy a high dollar CPU, vid card, when I can OC one that cost much less and it will run just as fast.
Old 13th June, 2006, 07:20 PM

Because they stopped selling cheap cpu's in the first place. Used to be a bunch of choices under $100, and all decent chips. now ya got..uh..2?
Old 13th June, 2006, 07:23 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I bought closer to the top of the line CPU once or twice, always regretted it....I just can't afford to be in that big of a hurry...If hardware were free I'd go broke paying my Fed Ex bill":O}

As it is I play "Desperadoes waiting for a train" About every two or three years there's a place to "jump off"

with new RAM CPU MB and Drive etc... I don't get to play around to much in between, usually a Video card, Drive or Ram upgrade. It's been a while since I got more than one good CPU on a Motherboard, specs change to often anymore...
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 14th June, 2006, 12:32 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Repo Man Send a message via AIM to Repo Man

I have a 3200+ on a 9NPA3 Ultra. What CPU should I be considering purchasing now that prices are falling? Keeping in mind that $150.00 is about as high as I am willing to go on a CPU.

It is the dull man who is always sure, and the sure man who is always dull.
H. L. Mencken
Old 14th June, 2006, 01:02 AM

Hard to say...we gotta wait until end of July...just sp happens my B-day is right about then...
Old 19th June, 2006, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skool h8r
Well, i've been planning to get a X2 for a while, now i have a perfect excuse! To say the 3800+ X2 is only £190, does that mean it's probably gonna be £95?

Also, i have heard that there's supposed to be some sort of 939 - AM2 converter somewhere.
for the asrock dual sata you can get a riser card that converts it to am2
with ddr2ram.early trials show good results.
asrockdual opty148 170x11 ocwbeta2 bios
twinmos3700 4.3d 2x512
WD80 Sata 1.5
Dfi ultraB m2600@250x10 hellfire turbo bios
twinmos3700 4.3d 1x512 2x256
abit nf7s2.0 Bart2500@250x10 tictac d1.0
buffalo 3700 bh5 1x512 2x256
Old 4th July, 2006, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
I bought closer to the top of the line CPU once or twice, always regretted it....I just can't afford to be in that big of a hurry...If hardware were free I'd go broke paying my Fed Ex bill":O}

As it is I play "Desperadoes waiting for a train" About every two or three years there's a place to "jump off"

with new RAM CPU MB and Drive etc... I don't get to play around to much in between, usually a Video card, Drive or Ram upgrade. It's been a while since I got more than one good CPU on a Motherboard, specs change to often anymore...
I went semi-crazy in 2005 building S939 machines for SETI@Home (together with a couple XP-M upgrades -- sitting at one now ). Didn't get the top clocks, but picked up a Venice 3200+ shortly after intro and likewise a 4200+ X2. Tried to backfill with a Winchester 3200+ when I didn't like the Venice clock, but it wouldn't clock either. Course, all those CPU's required boards and RAM and drives and cases etc. Great for SETI, but disasterous for the wallet . (Dropped SETI last fall with the rising electric rates .)

Picked up a 3800+ X2 about two months ago for my hub/multi-media machine and it's been very helpful (added AV capture and +R DL burning very shortly afterwards ).

Looks like I'm about to be indefinitely returned to the "old" technology pot, but it was kind of fun while it lasted. It'll be tempting to get another X2 when the prices crash (really like the heat-pipe HSF that comes with the 4200+ -- had hoped for one with the 3800+, but no ). However, not sure I can come up with a good reason given I already have two. A memory upgrade beyond 1GB is liable to be more useful.

-- Trevor
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 4th July, 2006 at 03:22 AM.
Old 4th July, 2006, 10:12 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I think we all have our binge years. But after awhile sustainability starts to makes sense. Most just can't spend that much year after year.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur