AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th June, 2006, 08:25 AM

Send a message via MSN to Ultimate_death

What to get?

I'm getting pretty much a completely new pc and since i'm holding out till the amd price drops, it's given me some time to recosider what im getting. My original plan was to get: (I'm building on a budget)

(All the prices are real, just ebay lol)
DFI NF4 sli-d motherboard £80-85
amd64 3500+ £80
6800 ultra £95
1gb XMS cordair cas2 memory £50

Now, im going to wait and get the 3800 x2 for about £100, the mermory's going to stay the same, but im not sure about hte motherboard and graphics card. I need some advice on which 939 board to go for, im looking to overclock, and need either sli or crossfire. Crossfire seems better (2 16x slots) but the ati cards in my range seem to suck compared to the nvidia counterparts (no shader model 3 etc)

Im thinking of spending £100 on hte board and £100 on the card, but don't worry going 25% above on each, i might find them cheaper.
Old 19th June, 2006, 09:04 AM

well the dfi ultra d can be modded to sli for a lot lower price than the
sli board,oh and the price of a circuit board pen.newer boards have
supposedly been altered by dfi to defeat this,but i have heard differently
and mine is only about 1.5 months old and was relatively easy to mod.
boots up as sli but have not installed second card yet as not rich.lol
asrockdual opty148 170x11 ocwbeta2 bios
twinmos3700 4.3d 2x512
WD80 Sata 1.5
Dfi ultraB m2600@250x10 hellfire turbo bios
twinmos3700 4.3d 1x512 2x256
abit nf7s2.0 Bart2500@250x10 tictac d1.0
buffalo 3700 bh5 1x512 2x256
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th June, 2006, 03:52 PM

Wow, this seems rather too good to be true, an ultra d will save me money, i need something to do until 23rd july, and im only going to start with one card so its not the end of the world if it doesn't work. Plus, since im buying of ebay the stuff is either 2nd hand or often old stock so i should be able to mod it.

I'll check this out, but im presuming this will still give 8x,8x in sli, how does this compare to crossfire's 16x,16x? Finally, any chance you know where i can get a dfi fitting sli bridge as they seem to be random brnds and its not a case of one size fits all.
Old 19th June, 2006, 05:30 PM

I would reccomend that you get 2 GB of ram if you can afford it. 1 GB will barely pull you through newer games and programs these days.

And as for the card, you should probably go for either a 7600 or 7800, I haven't checked the prices on them lately, but they've been dropping a lot due to the 7900s and 7950s comming out.
2x 1 Gb g.skill PC3200
Maxtor 100GB SATA

Last edited by Toastmaster; 19th June, 2006 at 05:38 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th June, 2006, 06:18 PM

The board has 4 slots so i can always upgrade to 2gb later, and at the moment i can't really afford it. While getting 512mb chips lowers the amount of memory i can have in total (2gb as opposed to 4gb), it costs loads more for 1gb stick especially low latency ones.

As for the 7800 its out my price range by about £70-£100, and the 7600 only has 128mbit memory speed, while the 6800 ultra and 7800 have 256bit.

I'm more curious about crossfire and ati than nvidia cards as i don't really know anything about them. After a quick look, the price comparable cards are the x850xt which only has pixel shader 2 and the x1600xt which just seems to suck.
Old 19th June, 2006, 07:16 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Don't go with that DFI you have there. Get the Epox EP-9NPAJSLI. This board is SLi and it's about £65 from overclock.co.uk. It has Power bios which allows you to overclock from BIOS. It also has 4 DDR slots which run in dual-channel mode (so 2 sets of dual-channel). Have a look on overclock.co.uk for all your parts. Except maybe the graphics card. If you want a good card, get a 7600GT, they're about £120 Including VAT, it's a step above a 6800Ultra.

As for memory, the corsair you have is fine. Same for the CPU.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Old 19th June, 2006, 07:37 PM

The epox motherboard is certainly a whole lot cheaper (£20 or so from the ultra-d) but doesn't boast quite the same overclocking potential. Plus, the key thing it lacks is IDE raid as i have 2 80GB ide drives im going to put into raid 0 to accompany my 250gb sata 2 drive.

With graphics cards im probably going to go with the 7600gt because its an investment especially for sli, but im still worried about the 128bit memory interface as i can't find a straight explaination of the real difference anywhere.
Old 19th June, 2006, 08:41 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

128bit means the core would be a bit bandwidth starved, lower max resolution and AA samples used, in comparison to a 256-bit bus, which, obviously, can carry almost twice the info. if you are waiting for a bit...don't set your hearts on one specific vidcard...price drops may affect your decision by the time you are ready to buy!
Old 20th June, 2006, 09:28 AM

If your building on this shoe string budget, then you might as well forget about Crossfire or SLI. There's no point - upgrading a single card is easier anyways and the performance gains are hardly likely to be noticeable - unless your a real hardcore gamer.
DFI's are the best overclocking boards generally. Try the DFI Lanparty UTNF4 SLI-DR Expert.

The other flaw in your plan is you seem to have a desire to overclock, yet you are going for cheap ram. Ram is pivotal to a good overclock, and cheap ram will only act like a bottleneck.
I've heard Patriot XLBLK Extreme Bandwidth is good ram for overclocking. However, any decent overclocking Ram appears to be out of your budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 20th June, 2006, 05:02 PM

Thanks for all the help but i'm pretty much set now on what im getting:

DFI NF4 ultra-d and hard modding to sli-d (easy enough when i need to)
6800 ultra/7600gt (whichever comes for a decent price by july 23rd)

I'm intentding to upgrade to sli and pick up another card when my card isn't good enough, meaning i can boost the power significantly for about £50.

As for the memory, i know it's important but corsair is a good brand and at the moment i have 1gb Valueselect (their budget rubbish memory), with a athlonxp 2500+ overclocked to 230fsb with a 10.5 multiplier, the memory timings are only 2.5,3,3,9 but i think they're quoted at cas3. It may seem a waste to get a new 1gb to go for cas 2.5 to 2 instead of going for 2gb at cas2.5, but as you said memory is important for overclocking and its an <25% memory speed differnece. The other memory can populate my other 4 athlonxp 2500 @3200 machines (best cost/performance ratio for under £35 in my opinion) as some of htem are only running at 512mb.

Last edited by Ultimate_death; 20th June, 2006 at 05:10 PM.