AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st June, 2006, 05:55 AM
Space Invaders Champion, Takion Champion

Building an AM2 system this weekend

First off, I'm back! Sorry for the absence, but I just didn't have the tie in the day to enjoy this fine forum.

Back to the topic. Yep, I'm going AM2. Getting a A64 3800+ Orleans. An MSI mobo with nForce 550, plus a 250gb SATA 3gb/s WD hard drive. Not to mention my stick of 1 gig Patriot DDR800 RAM. Oh, and last, but not least, a PNY 7900GT.

It's all ordered, and hopefully, in 4 days my computer will be running a load faster.

And my current system is starting to go, because unfortunately, my Athlon XP has become very unstable overclocked, I think the HSF Fan is slowing down, and heat is going up. So it's at stock speed, which makes Oblivion a rather choppy experience. It's running out of life, if I want to keep up with all these shiny things (and who doesn't?)

I'll update you all as it comes together.

P.S. I'm getting a nice Scythe cooler, so overclocking may come....in a month or so, I don't want to rush it. Though I expect to OC the video card in a week.
"this happened to me once, only i kept wiping my nose in my sleep, so it was my hands that were covered in blood when i woke up. i saw my hands, and was like, "dear diary, all i remember is watching half a movie and falling asleep on the couch?" -Ryan North
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st June, 2006, 03:19 PM

I have a question. I'm going to be using the SATA drive for my OS and such, but I'm going to keep my old 160 seagate IDE drive. What jumper settings should I use, since it's going to be a storage drive, but the only IDE drive?
"this happened to me once, only i kept wiping my nose in my sleep, so it was my hands that were covered in blood when i woke up. i saw my hands, and was like, "dear diary, all i remember is watching half a movie and falling asleep on the couch?" -Ryan North
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st June, 2006, 04:44 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Since SATA and IDE are electrically different busses, it really shouldn't matter, but I'd either set the IDE for master or stand-alone.
Old 21st June, 2006, 04:47 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Does the MSI have more than one IDE connector?
http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/attac...1&d=1140657632
Old 21st June, 2006, 04:52 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
Does the MSI have more than one IDE connector?
Does it matter?
Old 21st June, 2006, 04:56 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

if he plans to use an IDE optical it does. Jumpering is then important.

Here's teh 550 board(same chipset as 570/590, but disabled part of chipset.)
Attached Thumbnails
Building an AM2 system this weekend-k9n_neo.jpg  
Old 21st June, 2006, 05:18 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
if he plans to use an IDE optical it does. Jumpering is then important.
Ah....I see what you are driving at now.
Old 21st June, 2006, 05:48 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Good to see you on the board, Redroar! Please keep us up to date on your new AM2 machine.
Old 21st June, 2006, 05:56 PM

Well, I have 2 optical drives on IDE, but I got a PCI card for another IDE port to keep my HD on. It's just going to be documents. I'll have all my music and programs on the SATA.

I remember the NF5 Board that was all over the internet by the time it was found out to be fake. Good times.

I'm a little worried about overclocking considering my climate (30 C plus in the summertime indoors), but the Scythe Tower and Arctic Silver should keep it quite cool.

Also, congrats on the great rig, cadaveca. That thing is a beast.
Old 25th June, 2006, 05:48 AM

Hey. This message is coming from my new computer (well, technically upgraded, but I consider it new with how much I changed). So, it's working. yay. All the installation went without a problem, but now I have the hell of downloading all those windows updates over dial-up...so it's not done. I'll probably run 3DMark05 tomorrow to see how it does.
Old 25th June, 2006, 06:51 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Hey Redroar good to have you back. I have two requests:

1. Post some pics
2. Try and see how fast your proc is folding

Thanks
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 25th June, 2006, 09:42 AM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

Next when you have the money, watercool that baby. Are there any AM2 compatable waterblocks available yet anyone?
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 25th June, 2006, 01:39 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Words of Wisdom - Using AM2 - Make sure you have the latest processor driver, otherwise you will have nightmares with low level stability. Get it from AMD.com.
Old 25th June, 2006, 06:36 PM

I'll get some pics up soon.

I had a scare this morning with it though. When I started it up, it would recognize all of my drives (Optical, Hard Drive, Floppy...) but it would not read any of them! Windows wouldn't start, the Windows CD wouldn't start. Well, I took out my PCI card to keep my old IDE hard drive hooked up and it was fine.

One more question, my RAM is not going as fast as it's rated. It's rated 4-4-4-12, but my MainBoard has it at 4-5-5-15 according to CPU-Z. When I changed the TRAS to 12, it showed up as 9 in CPU-Z though. And as far as the other ones, I can't tell which is which since the names in the BIOS are different than the ones in CPU-Z, and I don't want to just start changing numbers. The only ones I can recognize are CAS and TRAS.
I'll go ahead and get that driver, but it is stable so far.
Old 25th June, 2006, 07:21 PM

PICTURES!!!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38...r/IMG_0420.jpg
Here's my motherboard with nothing on it yet. That will soon change.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38...r/IMG_0421.jpg
Here's my case, with my motherboard out and no sides on.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38...r/IMG_0425.jpg
I'm plugging in the RAM. So far, it's pretty boring, huh.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38...r/IMG_0430.jpg
OMG Processor

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38...r/IMG_0432.jpg
That is a really big heatsink. And also, you get a pretty good view of the RAM

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38...r/IMG_0433.jpg
Here I am holding the stock heatsink next to the scythe. In case you didn't notice, I felt that the heatsink was huge.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38...r/IMG_0435.jpg
It's in the case! Man, that is a mess of cables. I should really clean that up.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38...r/IMG_0436.jpg
And that's it, I put the side back on, slid it back between that other case and the monitor, and here I am!
Old 25th June, 2006, 08:53 PM
Team 45 Folder

Looking sweet, how does the 7900GT perform?
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 25th June, 2006, 10:12 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

That heatsink looks hefty, what's performance like?

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 25th June, 2006, 10:44 PM

Well, I've got Call of Duty 2 running at stock, and I don't think the framerates have gone below 25 at max setting 1280x960 with 2x AA. They're probably hovering around the 40-50 mark which is good for CoD2.

I'll run 3DMark05 and see what I get.

The heatsink is doing quite well, and for my climate temp are good. Haven't checked under load, but it stays about 10c above room temperature. My case temp is actually higher than my CPU (probably because the video card is blowing on the diode, I would imagine.)
Old 25th June, 2006, 10:55 PM
Team 45 Folder

Do you live in the USA Redroar?
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
AOA Folding @Home
Old 25th June, 2006, 11:21 PM

Yep. I do live in the US.

Well, here's my 3DMark:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38...r/3DMark05.jpg
Not as good as I was hoping, but still over 2.5x better than my old system. It should get better if I overclock.

Also, which is a good choice besides MBM, because they don't list my Mainboard...

Last edited by Redroar; 25th June, 2006 at 11:28 PM.