AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th June, 2006, 09:27 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

This Could BE BIG

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32717

AMD will be coming out with an X2 with only 256 cache. The price estimate is $140-160.

I don't know about everyone else, but I feel like I am watching a high stakes poker match, head to head, and I get a piece of the pot regardless of who wins.

I've always been a bang for the buck overclocker... I'll take the biggest performance with as little $$ as I can get away with. Competing dual cores in the $150 range makes me grin ear to ear.

Conroe or AM2 x2... who cares, keep raising each other boys!!!
Old 29th June, 2006, 09:41 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Competition, has a nice ring to it!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th June, 2006, 09:41 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Yes please!

I would love something dirt cheap with mega OC potential, like the XP-M was in it's day

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th June, 2006, 09:50 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

sounds good the more competition the better, but please 256k / core. I can see these becoming named a sempron x2 or somthing like that. As thats how much cache those things have these days. Same as most celerons (though the new celeron is going to have 512k and on the 65nm process)
Old 29th June, 2006, 09:56 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Well, there IS an interesting question here; 'Will the small-cache models overclock better than the big-cache models?'
Old 29th June, 2006, 11:23 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

Thats a good and tricky question, it will all depend on which of the factors is the limit.

Which produces more heat the cache or the core, if its the core then reducing the cache will decrease the surface area to transfer the heat away. It will increase the specific heat output per unit area which will reduce max clock speed.

Which hits the clockspeed wall first, larger caches are inherently more prone to flaws in the silicon which limit clockspeeds.
Double the cache you double the number of transistors that must run at breakneck speeds.
I remember the days of the original athlon and the P3 when in slot form had external l2 cache. As the core clock speed increased they had to move to async cache speeds as cache manufacturers just couldnt keep up.
Intel got a small lead at this time when they moved to on die l2.

The other factor is speed bins, sometimes high end chips get sold as low end chips to meet demands. (celeron 333a, early 2.4 P4 'C')
Other times when yields are low on high end chips (orig xp2800+) they are sold when they can only just reach stock speed stable and dont overclock at all.

One thing is for sure, amd are trying to cram as many chips onto a waffer as possible, if the 1megs are going and are being replaced by a 256k thats alot of space saved. How much longer can they wait for fab36 to be fully operational
Old 30th June, 2006, 01:22 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Nicely thought though post Keith!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 30th June, 2006, 01:55 AM
Steve Jobs

I take it this is 2X 256k cache, and both cores can snoop eachother's cache, which could be better than a single core with 256k cache. Its interesting though.

No matter which way you look at it, AMD's Sempron K8s, with 128k cache are extremely good CPUs. A Celeron, even with 256k is still like prize fighters with their arms tied behind their back, and a red and white bull's-eye painted on its crotch.

This could be a very sweet chip indeed.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 30th June, 2006, 02:28 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

As with morgans and spitfires, I suspect a "sempron x2" could be an overclockers' favorite. AMD cores do not suffer the same fate as celerons in terms of performance loss due to inadequate cache.

Ok.. there will be a hit, but nothing +200mhz wouldn't cure.

This just adds one more relavent factor to everyone's upgrade equation. Whether or not you want one, you will benefit from it if you are looking for an upgrade at the end of the year.

I am personally guessing that the conroe will be a bit cooler and more power efficient (read "guessing" before commenting). But if the little x2 is substantially cheaper, I could swing my vote with my upgrades.
Old 30th June, 2006, 06:57 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I was thinking of the Morgan too when I saw this. These things would fly. The nipped cache hurt but the pure oc ability of these more than made up for the penetly of less cache. Plus the fact they were cheap.

I like you like the biggest bang for the lowest price. Probably why I am still holding on to my Mobile. @ 2.6 it will still do what I need. I can't see spending 1000 on a new chip and board to end up right about where i am now.

A 150 dollar cpu that may oc as well as my mobile would make me have that feeling once again of getting something for next to nothing. I paid about 80 bucks for this cpu I have and I feel that it is giving me much more in return.