AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd July, 2006, 10:30 AM
AOA Staff

Post Athlon 64 X2 3600+ AM2 test drive

From the Front Page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/837/2/
Old 2nd July, 2006, 07:02 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thank you for putting the link on the front page, Danrok! Two times 256 Kb L2 caches? Are they smoking wacky tobaccy at AMD? Weird or what?
Old 2nd July, 2006, 07:18 PM
Projector Wizard

I spose it depends what you use it for.
If its mainly gaming, the extra cache doesnt do much so its a nice cheap option.

For someone like me on S939, going from a single core A64 it might be worth the money and waiting a bit longer before getting Conroe or AM2.
Especially with the reverse hyperthreading and a major overclock

(assuming reverse hyperthreading is available on S939, I havent read enough yet)
X1800XT clocked to PE

Last edited by Chernobyl; 2nd July, 2006 at 07:19 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd July, 2006, 07:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to benighted Send a message via MSN to benighted

What is reverse hyperthreading? Is that where the 2 cores can act as the same CPU? If so then that would be pretty nifty.

Buy AVG Anti-Virus and Support AOA!!
AOA Team fah
Silent water cooled system:
Zalman Reserator 1.1
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice @ 2400MHZ
Epox 9NDA3+
2GB GSkill PC3200
Maxtor 10 SATA X2 RAID0
eVGA 6800 Ultra 256MB

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd July, 2006, 07:30 PM
Projector Wizard

yeah its a great addition.
It looks like Intel have something similar coming too. I saw a report where a setting in a new BIOS allowed it to be enabled.
I have read that AM2 x2 chips have the ability to do it but not sure about S939.

Edit:
hmm, I cant find any evidence to back up my claim that current x2 AM2 chips can do it. It seems to still be in development from most of the articles I can find now.
Ah well we can hope

DSIO's post on exactly this:
AMD Reverse HyperThreading
X1800XT clocked to PE

Last edited by Chernobyl; 2nd July, 2006 at 07:43 PM.
Old 3rd July, 2006, 06:23 AM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Reverse hyperthreading can be acheived on any dual core cpu beit 939, AM2 or 775. It needs only BIOS update and OS or driver update to operate.
Old 3rd July, 2006, 06:25 PM
Projector Wizard

If it is as simple as a driver that will be very useful for dual core CPU's.
However, looking at NVidias SLI drivers and how well they dont scale with Quad GPUs, I imagine a similar performance problem will happen with more than 2 cpu cores.

NVidias SLI can to some extent get away with a larger processing overhead when trying to run quad GPUs as the processing power to support Quad SLI isnt on the cards themselves but is provided by the CPU.

If using a driver to support Quad CPU reverse HT, the CPU's themselves are required to perform the hard work running the driver. Adding more cores wont scale as well as you would hope.
I imagine some supporting hardware will be required to gain the max benefits.
Then again it may never go beyond a software solution if the world moves onto well supported multi cpu/threaded apps and games. Their time is drawing closer!
X1800XT clocked to PE

Last edited by Chernobyl; 3rd July, 2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old 3rd July, 2006, 06:28 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

PRoblem with your thought there is that Quad SLI doesn't scale becasue there just simply isn't a cpu out there that can support the tech properly. Even two cards are cpu-limited...and the recent slew of Intel benchmarks using high-end videocards is just more weight to this argument...those high numbers aren't because they make 3d faster...it's becasue they can finally push enough data to the vidcards!
Old 3rd July, 2006, 06:31 PM
Projector Wizard

that was close to the point I was making
X1800XT clocked to PE

Last edited by Chernobyl; 3rd July, 2006 at 06:32 PM.
Old 3rd July, 2006, 06:47 PM

But what limits cpu?
Old 3rd July, 2006, 07:01 PM
Projector Wizard

I was trying to demonstrate that Quad SLI is easier to set up as any processing to make Quad SLI work is provided by the CPU. If the CPU is too slow, you can add another CPU core (for multi cpu ready games etc) or go for a faster cpu.

If the cpu has to provide its own horsepower for the reverse HT driver, adding more cores increases the complexity and even more cpu power is required for the driver per core. The more cores the less efficient they become as they cant offload the processing like a graphics card system.
At some point adding another cpu core will net you a performance loss if using them for inverse HT.

Its not the best analogy tbh because at some point adding another GPU will require so much CPU power to run it that you get no benefit.
The difference is that SLI (or higher) doesnt use the graphics cards to make it function, it uses the cpu to make it work, whereas the cpu needs to use its own power to run an inverse HT driver.
X1800XT clocked to PE
Old 3rd July, 2006, 07:19 PM

This is why the Cell CPU makes sense. Something needs to do the process scheduling...and something needs to do the work. GPUs work like this too, with thier quads of pixel pipelines, with a dispatch processor. The only real limit is the speed of your scheduler...otherwise you can easily multiply your work. branch it so each scheduler handles it's own set of schedulers, and the number of execution units you can have is quite high. The only real limit is realestate.

Last edited by cadaveca; 3rd July, 2006 at 07:20 PM.
Old 3rd July, 2006, 07:33 PM
Projector Wizard

yes, some of that please

Maybe they can arbitrate between cores with simple logic in hardware and maybe use software for a little of the work or not at all.
It depends how much life they see in the need for single core support I spose to determine if its worthwhile developing it into hardware.

They could of course put the logic onto new CPUs so you only need replace the CPU. I'd prefer to replace my motherboard tho, it costs less lol.
X1800XT clocked to PE