AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th July, 2006, 04:29 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

No AMD K8L processors until 2008, say sources

From the Front Page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/866/2/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th July, 2006, 05:35 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I can wait, I'll have to! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th July, 2006, 05:58 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Well, they are named "K8L" after all.

Last edited by cloasters; 11th July, 2006 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11th July, 2006, 09:05 PM
Space Invaders Champion, Takion Champion

Why not 2K8?
"this happened to me once, only i kept wiping my nose in my sleep, so it was my hands that were covered in blood when i woke up. i saw my hands, and was like, "dear diary, all i remember is watching half a movie and falling asleep on the couch?" -Ryan North
Old 11th July, 2006, 09:35 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

The headline is a bit misleading.

Based on the research I have done, BOTH statements actually appear to be correct.

AMD IS going to release the K8L Quad-core in the first quarter of 2007. It will be on the 65nM process, however, it will be socket AM2.

AMD is also going to release the K8L Quad-core sometime in 2008. It MIGHT be 45 nM, but it WILL be socket AM3.

Now, since AM3 chips will run in AM2 boards, will it matter to us? Probably not.
Old 11th July, 2006, 10:10 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Give me that old time AMD religion that I may have strength to resist the blandishments of that devil Int.
Old 11th July, 2006, 10:16 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

So, to sum it up, AMD's cores are ready, and they are backwards compatible, but boards and ram are holding them back form thier intended platform

Last edited by cadaveca; 11th July, 2006 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12th July, 2006, 02:14 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I still have to wait. ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 12th July, 2006, 01:32 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

They're going to need to hit Q1'07 early on for quad core as intel are on there way with there implementation codenamed 'kentsfield' there has allready been early chips tested in the wild that had a 2.4GHz stock clock, yet were o/c'd to 3.2GHz quite easily. 65nm is allready maturing nicely and 45nm is on its way early next year. Can amd afford to fall an entire process behind and more importantly will they ?
Old 12th July, 2006, 02:16 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

AMD is ALREADY an entire process behind. The question is, will they be two? As it is, AMD will be transisitioning to 65 nM only slightly before Intel goes to 45 nM, making AMD still a process generation behind Intel. If Intel gets to 45 nM before AMD gets to 65 nM, that's going to put some deadly pressure on AMD's cost structure.
Old 12th July, 2006, 02:54 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

I hope that if AMD are going to fall this far behind they have a seriously big ace up their sleeves.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Last edited by Favu; 12th July, 2006 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12th July, 2006, 04:41 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

thats what i meant gizmo! thanks for clarifying it for everyone else
Old 12th July, 2006, 07:33 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I just hate it when competition fails to deliver a competitive race!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 12th July, 2006 at 07:34 PM.
Old 13th July, 2006, 09:55 AM

Send a message via MSN to Hoppster

Question AMD - Will still be sentimental favourite of mine.

Im not really up to date, so here is my question

Are Intels processors currently better than AMDs?

It was only a year ago that AMD kicked Intels butt - specially in the gaming area.

Are intels dual cores better than AMDs

will Intels quad cores be better than AMDs?
2 x 200GB Western Digital
Dual Boot XP32 bit Home Edition
Vista Beta 2 Release 5308 64 bit

"You cant help a bit of bad luck now and again"
Old 13th July, 2006, 02:41 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Good questions. As things stand right now, I would have to say that the latest Intel chips are better than the latest AMD chips. This is based on current benchmarks and pricing; Intel is offering better bang/buck than AMD. That can, of course, change. Whether Intel's quad cores will be better than AMD's is a matter of speculation. As things stand right this moment with the current tech, Intel will have the better offering, IMHO. Bear in mind, though, that quad-core is supposed to bring a refresh of the AMD tech with some significant performance and power improvements, which means that, again, this is all subject to change.

Buying a machine based on what 'will' happen is always a crap-shoot. The best you can do is to try to define your needs well, and then buy the machine that best fills those needs for the least amount of money.
Old 13th July, 2006, 04:50 PM

intel is better as thier cpu's scale over 3ghz. @ 3ghz and under , AMD still wins the race,due to power consumption, and price point, imho.

However, in the coming weeks that will change, once the Core2Duo line from Intel is released. At the same time, prices should drop drastically on AMD 512k cache chips(where they haven't already), while there will be small drops on the 1mb parts, as these scale well compared to Core2Duo(up to 3ghz).

Once you've passed the 3ghz barrier...well..not alot of AMD chips can do those speeds. This gives Intel the definate edge...although i seem to have no issues picking out 3ghz chips for myself.

Last edited by cadaveca; 13th July, 2006 at 04:51 PM.
Old 18th July, 2006, 06:44 AM

Yeah, first a 148 now a 170?? I'm hoping this opty I got will make it under water, but knowing my luck the stepping I have is going to be under the tech dictionary labeled as "dont' even bother"
Old 18th July, 2006, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seperah
Yeah, first a 148 now a 170??
Yep. was hard to pass it up when i saw it.

Last edited by cadaveca; 18th July, 2006 at 04:41 PM.
Old 18th July, 2006, 05:03 PM

Its damned hard to control that impulse buying....its a disease not a crime
Old 18th July, 2006, 05:12 PM
Steve Jobs

Is being a process behind really going to do any damage though. Intel has always been somewhat ahead, with their 90nm prescotts, which turned out (particularly early ones) to be absolute mongrels. When AMD went 90nm with the Winchester, it went over very well, and the Winchester, and later Venice chips were brilliant.

Intel managed to do well in their 65nm chips, beginning with the preslers, which I have the pleasure of using still, but 45nm might not be as easy as the last change was.

Getting too far behind is not going to help things, but AMD can't afford another Tbred A.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles