AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th March, 2002, 08:07 AM

New system

I just bought a new mainboard and cpu today, I replaced my p3-700E@933 with a K7S5A and XP 1700+ combo. I'm still using my sdram but I hope to grab at least 256m of DDR ram in a couple of weeks. The switch was mostly effortless except for a couple of snags like having to replace the fan in the case power supply and then wondering what speed the XP would actually run at since my bios didn't auto detect the timings for cpu/dram. All in all it wasn't that bad, it didn't cost me that much and I know I'll see some improvement in overall speed.

So here I am sitting at my new system...and not noticing any improvement in speed whatsoever. Well since I'm only surfing the net and just checking windows settings, I'm not going to have any idea how much faster this really is. I think I'll open Sisoft Sandra and see about some benchmarks......

"Why do a single thing today, when tomorrow's surely out there. But the days they turn into years and still no tomorrow appears....

Last edited by martin; 14th March, 2002 at 06:10 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th March, 2002, 12:43 PM
AOA Staff

those K7s5a's are great boards, and unbeleivable for so cheap!!, I havent ran one with sdram, but with DDr they spank. If your lookin for info on them, go to www.ocworkbench.com , they are pretty much the unofficial home of these boards and have all the dirt on em. they actually overclock pretty well, but it mostly hardware hacks
Old 13th March, 2002, 03:01 PM
Banned

That's cool Martin, you'll notice gaming and more intensive application performance increases, but a celeron 300 could browse the internet as well as an XP2000+

Try 3dmark 2001SE if you have a 3d card, that will give you a pretty accurate reading as well as Sandra.
Old 13th March, 2002, 07:22 PM

Martin;
I have the same setup, except I have Crucial (Micron) 256M DDR,
and set the bios bus setup at 133/133. Reads 1467 MHZ. and it makes a huge difference. Go for good quality DDR, and try it at "ULtra" setting in the bios memory setup. I also put a front and rear cooling fan in my mid tower , to keep it running cooler.
Old 15th March, 2002, 06:51 AM

Nice...

I'm very happy with this 'budget upgrade'. My fingers are crossed but so far I'm estatic with my new rig. My memory benches are over twice as fast as the 700E@933. Was 397Mb/s, now I'm at 947Mb/s, cpu benchmarks are way up there as well. Too cool for words, I'm using a stock hs/f that came with the cpu as well as a bit of AS compound and I'm sitting around 43C to 45C. I'm in heaven....

"Why do a single thing today, when tomorrow's surely out there. But the days they turn into years and still no tomorrow appears....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!