AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th August, 2006, 09:39 PM

A7N8X-X won't give dual channel

Do I need to update my BIOS to get dual channel with this mobo, or does it just not support it (or am0 I just being particularly thick?)

rig: a7n8x-x, Xp-m 2200 , 3/4 gig mem, fx5200, akasa carnival - 46c stable,

cheers once more to rondog

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th August, 2006, 10:08 PM

Dont think it supports dual channel. I could be wrong though.
Old 5th August, 2006, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellamne
Dont think it supports dual channel. I could be wrong though.
that'd explain it!

it still runs quicker than the nf7-s with dual mind you
smoother too...

AOA Team fah

Last edited by Streethawk; 5th August, 2006 at 10:47 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th August, 2006, 07:51 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

the NF7-S was my favourite board, had one of the revision 2.0 board that overclocked like a gem.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Old 6th August, 2006, 01:40 PM

It's an nforce2 ultra 400 chipset mobo however it does not support dual channel.
http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Mothe.../Asus-A7N8X-X/
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21
Old 6th August, 2006, 03:20 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streethawk
that'd explain it!

it still runs quicker than the nf7-s with dual mind you
smoother too...
It doesn't suport it. My wife has that board. I have an NF7-S rev2.0. I'd take the Abit over the Asus any day.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 22nd August, 2006, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staz
It doesn't suport it. My wife has that board. I have an NF7-S rev2.0. I'd take the Abit over the Asus any day.
well, i'm confused (doesn't take a lot)

the MB box showed up whilst packing to move - it claims to support DDR400 PC3200, how would it do that without dual channel?

it also claims to go to 400 mhz on the USB... maybe the bios is holding out on me?

AOA Team fah
Old 22nd August, 2006, 10:50 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Quote:
well, i'm confused (doesn't take a lot)

the MB box showed up whilst packing to move - it claims to support DDR400 PC3200, how would it do that without dual channel?

it also claims to go to 400 mhz on the USB... maybe the bios is holding out on me?
Easy. They lie. They claim a 400MHz FSB also. But that chipset is an nForce 2-400 chipset and it does not suport dual channel ram. If the chipset doesn't suport it the board cannot suport it.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 22nd August, 2006, 10:57 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

DDR 400 = 200Mhz Memory speed, as does PC3200, neither of those need/are dual channel, they are just different ways of describing memory speeds.

Hope that clears the confusion a little

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 23rd August, 2006, 08:56 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

As Favu points out, DDR 400 is just a way of describing DDR memory running at an effective bus rate of 400MHz - that's a clock of 200MHz. It has nothing to do with dual channel or otherwise.

The 400MHz FSB is exactly the same - it's a measure of the effective clock frequency, rather than of the actual clock frequency. This is because for each cycle of the clock, two data operations can occur. Hence that 200MHz actual clock is effectively a 400MHz data clock.
Old 23rd August, 2006, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
As Favu points out, DDR 400 is just a way of describing DDR memory running at an effective bus rate of 400MHz - that's a clock of 200MHz. It has nothing to do with dual channel or otherwise.

The 400MHz FSB is exactly the same - it's a measure of the effective clock frequency, rather than of the actual clock frequency. This is because for each cycle of the clock, two data operations can occur. Hence that 200MHz actual clock is effectively a 400MHz data clock.
well, i'll have to sort it out after i'm all moved - get myself a new MB...

AOA Team fah
Old 23rd August, 2006, 07:31 PM

Quote:
well, i'll have to sort it out after i'm all moved - get myself a new MB...
I hope you're not considering to go through all the trouble of finding, buying and replacing your mobo just for dual channel?

The FSB of the Athlon XP cpu is only synchronous with the memory frequency at best. The performance effect is as such not really worth it. I'm talking only a few percentages of gained system performance because of it. Of course it's something but it's not even worth 10$ these days.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Old 25th August, 2007, 12:28 AM

Thread from the Dead!!

well, I'm in need of OCing this machine to keep up with games releases, hell even the internet! The fastest I can get with this mobo is 2000, then it just gets unstable.

I'm going to get a better mobo to suit this XPm, but can only find socket As on ebay now (a couple at shops, but 2 pricey for the performance).

I had the nf7-s2, but it ate soundcards and replacements are apparently highly sought after on ebay, £30+.

What do ppl recommend as its been so long since i knew about multipliers and fsbs of these boards that it's making my head hurt trying to think about it...

on another note, would my gpu be leaning on the cpu when the Mrs. plays her splinter cell and the like?

AOA Team fah
Old 25th August, 2007, 02:33 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I ran a DFI ultra skt A till just recently. Had my mobile 2400 @ 2.5 all day long. Great board. Getting a little hard to find. That is by far my favorite skt A board though.
Old 26th August, 2007, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streethawk View Post
well, I'm in need of OCing this machine to keep up with games releases, hell even the internet! The fastest I can get with this mobo is 2000, then it just gets unstable.

I'm going to get a better mobo to suit this XPm, but can only find socket As on ebay now (a couple at shops, but 2 pricey for the performance).

I had the nf7-s2, but it ate soundcards and replacements are apparently highly sought after on ebay, £30+.

What do ppl recommend as its been so long since i knew about multipliers and fsbs of these boards that it's making my head hurt trying to think about it...

on another note, would my gpu be leaning on the cpu when the Mrs. plays her splinter cell and the like?
Even if you'd get your system greatly overclocked you're still going to need to upgrade quite a lot of your hardware to even notice the difference.
If you're still using the FX5200 card with 768Mb DDR then these two are at least equally weighing on your performance.

But, that does not mean not to try to overclock it anyway. How much vcore does your bios supply, how much vdimm, what timings are you running and how high is the temperature in full load on the CPU?
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2