AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

View Poll Results: What should I do with this damn CPU?
Be happy to run it at stock speeds with a 0.05 overvolt? 0 0%
RMA that sucker immediately? 5 83.33%
Throw as many volts as I can at it to bleed maybe 2.5GHz out of it with 65oC temperatures? 1 16.67%
Find a sweetish spot, then use the burn-in technique to lower the required voltage for that speed? 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th August, 2006, 12:57 PM

4400+ Conundrum - unstable at stock?

Hey all,

Well after much debating, I chose to pick up a 4400+, one of the last ten to brought into New Zealand I was told by my supplier. Upgrading from a 3700+ San Diego, I thbought this would be perfect; same clockspped and cache per core, except there is two of them!

Anyway, recieved my CPU, being a ADA version (110W TDP) with stepping of:

CCBWE 0609 DPMW

Unfortunately I got the processor, threw it into my machine (Air cooling) and it failed SP2004 within 1 minutes at stock speeds @ 1.325 volts.

Supplier suggests that the AMD default for these is 1.4v; increased to this and it seems to be fine in SP2004 (with affinity set etc) for 5 hours+, too impatient to test it overnight, especially at freakin stock speeds.

Anyway, I was wanting to get opinions on the process I should take from here, I have read a lot on burning in, and I doubt the supplier will take back the processor if it is "stable" at the "stock voltage".

So, from a 3700 that would do 2.6GHZ @ 1.325, I am here with an X2 that is currently SP2004ing 240x10 (2.4 GHz) on 1.5v - woohoo... 7 minutes and counting!

Yes so opinions, suggestions, I'm open to whatever... kind of bad luck with this one I would think.

Cheers all
Old 16th August, 2006, 02:03 PM
xD ~HOO-RAAH
Snake Champion, Chopper Challenge Champion, Pacman Champion, Capture The Flag Champion, Mario Bros Pipe Panic Champion, Dirt Bike 2 Champion

Send a message via MSN to Abdul

Welcome to AOA!

What other hardware are you using? Like motherboard/ram... They could make a difference... Maybe a bios update...

Sure some other guys will help aswell!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th August, 2006, 02:14 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

RMA that bugger! Actually, I'd verify in another board first, if possible. BUt no qualms in that RMA!
Old 16th August, 2006, 03:07 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

If the stock voltage IS 1.4v and it runs at stock speeds at that voltage then it is technically doing what it was meant to.
If it won't do its stock speed at its stock voltage then there is a good reason to RMA.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th August, 2006, 03:42 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Toledo cores are 1.35v OR 1.4v. My Opty is 1.35v, my 4400+ 1.4v.
Old 16th August, 2006, 04:16 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Ignorance is bliss...
Update your bios.. make sure it is "compatible" with the new CPU. Run CPU, all setting default... If it fails, it meets the definition for RMA. Running voltage over default might void the warrantee, so no one should recommend it if you are only attempting to stabilize at stock speeds. That's what warrantees are for.

Edit: OTOH, if you set voltage to "default" and it was stable at stock .... do not RMA, even if you can't overclock 10mhz. That's luck of the draw.

Last edited by SteveI; 16th August, 2006 at 04:19 PM.
Old 16th August, 2006, 10:29 PM

Thanks for your replies.

I am running:

Epox 9NPA+ SLI
7900GT Card
2 x 512 generic ram (that can run some amazing timings)
Enermax 485W noisetaker

Just one HD and Optical drive.

I have the latest Bios version; dual core support was added in May 2005, so this isn't the problem; this is the April 2006 Epox Bios (mmmm, 183MHz Ram divider)

The AMD site says that the default is 1.30 - 1.35 for this model (http://amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/...ADA4400DAA6CD), however when I set it onto auto it throws 1.41 at it - so I set it on undervolt to reach the "specified" voltages on the site, and it will fail there.

So the supplier is unlikely to accept an RMA as he believes the "default" voltage is 1.40, despite what the AMD compare site says. Should I argue the point here?

So yeah that is where I'm at... more testing tonight. Thanks for any more ideas everyone