AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th October, 2006, 06:10 AM

Don't know which, can you help?

hey guys, I am new here.

I have a very humble long in the tooth ASUS A8V Deluxe V2 motherboard (AGP, sadly) that I am stuck with because my budget won't give me enough to build a performance PCI-Express Conroe system right now (I can't work right now but I am going back to work within a year), nor would I want to build a Conroe right now because not enough boards, chipsets, DX-10 stuff has come out anyways.

So here I am, stuck with my ASUS. I just got the ability to get one set of either of the following three RAM stick sets, and I need to pick out which one, but there is a problem:

1 I am still a n00b to overclocking and learning.

2 My motherboard's BIOS will not set the VDimm any higher than 2.8V, so I am limited to that, or maybe, if I am lucky, I can use an OCZ RAM Booster at some later time and push up to 3.0V max. You see, OCZ officially says my motherboard is NOT supported by that product, but I have read on a forum where a number of peeps have indeed successfully used it to go up to or slightly past, 3.0V. Therefore, for now I am lmited to 2.8V and I may possibly be able to go up to 3.0V later.

3) This is my one shot chance. I will never again have the ability to buy other RAM or anything for this system for up to a year from now.

So, based on my difficult quandry (and I apologize as I imagine you might call me a PITA, so I am sorry if I am), which of the three following stick sets do you recommend? BTW, I am under a tight time limit, I can't explain why here, but I can't take too long to make a choice, which frustrates me further, heh.

Team Xtreem Cronus 2 x 1GB Micron 5B:
Link removed due to rules (Tank Guys)
(Some at that manufacturer's website have complained a bit about it though, but most people are suggesting this one.)

or:

Team Xtreem Cronus 2 x 1GB Samsung UCCC:
(Some others are saying this is my best choice, for one reason because it is on sale, but I read here and there that this is actually kind of a "quality RAM" rather than a performance RAM.)

Or, finally:

Team Xtreem Cronus Infineon/Aeneon 2 x 1GB:
(Now, with this stuff, I am getting the impression that it is like BH type RAM, that it actually likes plenty of volts, which, if true, would mean it would be no good for me, is that right? Also, it is on back order, though, If I can order it and wait, it is the ordering that I am under the gun about...)

I can only apologize for asking a difficult question and I hope I am not imposing here, my problem is that I am getting advice all over the board from different people, I have similar numbers of folks telling me to get either of them...

Thanks for any help possible!

BTW, if you know of a site that discusses these RAM and their attributes, in particular as relates to volts, I'd sure appreciate that.

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

This is laserjocky's first post. The Welcome thread is here. Please post all welcome messages there.

=== This is an automatically generated message ===
Old 4th October, 2006, 06:39 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

You are not imposing. This is a public forum. After a quick Google of Team Xtreem, one of the most prominent results was from XS. Stating that the UCCC variety of Team Xtreem memory can run at Team Extreem Series UCCC PC4000 2Gb kit (2x1Gb) can run at 270mhz at 3-3-3-8-1T timings. While maintaining 2.7V.

If its cheap, I would go for this one.

PS: Welcome!

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64

Last edited by Rondog; 4th October, 2006 at 06:41 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th October, 2006, 07:14 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA, laserjocky! I've never heard of Team Extreme. I know that all of the Samsung RAM I've had over the years worked perfectly for me, whether it was made by Samsung or Samsung chips on third party boards.