AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th March, 2002, 08:44 PM

Multipliers and such

I do build my own PC's. But I have a weak undrstanding of such things as multipliers and the like and how it relates to overclocking.
Anyone know of a good tutorial?
Old 17th March, 2002, 08:50 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome aboard AOA Forums, bigjohnson! The easy answer is to go to www.overclockers.com and peruse the Beginner's Guides. They are very helpful. Don't worry, all of us start at zero. You're smart to learn before you leap!
Old 17th March, 2002, 08:58 PM

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have on the way an Abit KT7 Raid board. Also in the pipeline is a T-Bird 1.4 266.
I intend to crank it up!
In reading about the subject, I understand that heat will be my enemy. Without getting exotic (water cooling etc..) what is the best reccommendation on a cpu cooler?
I kinda like the offerings from Thermaltake. But which one?
Old 17th March, 2002, 09:38 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by bigjohnson
As I mentioned in a previous post, I have on the way an Abit KT7 Raid board. Also in the pipeline is a T-Bird 1.4 266.
I intend to crank it up!
In reading about the subject, I understand that heat will be my enemy. Without getting exotic (water cooling etc..) what is the best reccomendation on a cpu cooler?
I kinda like the offerings from Thermaltake. But which one?
Many people like the Glaciator II from Millenium Thermal. Phiber on this forum pretty much swears by it for air-cooling. Also, the Glaciator I, which isn't too much worse at all, is being sold very cheap on their site. Then you'll also want to get some Arctic Silver III thermal compound. Basically, it fills the minor imperfections between the heatsink and the CPU, creating a larger surface area. Hope this helps, and welcome!

Here's a link to Millenium Thermal: http://www.millennium-thermal.com/

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th March, 2002, 10:11 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

avoid thermaltake orbs like the plague, unless you like novelty paperweights

thermalright make some excellent heatsinks for reasonable cost, unfortunately most use the very noisy delta 60MM fan. Swiftech are extremely expensive, but are wwonderful pieces of engineering and work brilliantly and quietly, Alpha also make a great sink in the PAL 8045. as well as teh MTS glaciator 1&2 which are also highly rated around here, its what i used before i had an accident with some water :nervous:

the multiplyer on the chip is what gives it its actual speed, it takes the Front Side Bus speed, 133 for t-birds in general, and multiplies it up to get the clock rate. e.g the 1400mhz tbird uses the 10.5 multiplier since 10.5 X 133 = 1396.

anyway hope thats of some help! welcome to the forum, i hope you enjoy your stay, and learn a bit about our black art!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th March, 2002, 11:14 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz Send a message via AIM to Jazz

Go with a swiftech mcx370 or if you have the cash a mcx462. They will give more cooling than you will more than likley need. But remeber the cooler it is the more you can oc it. One more thing is the swiftechs you can use with faster chips i would never say that about my old orbs.
"Folding protiens and taking names"
Old 18th March, 2002, 12:36 AM

That Glaciator 2 is a good looking thing! Is fan speed critical? As I think some fans turn in excess of 6000 rpm. May have to take a closer look at how much air a cooler moves.
Although the Glaciator 1 may be a lesser fan it seems to be a value.
Old 18th March, 2002, 01:04 AM

That Swifttech is really something!
Old 18th March, 2002, 01:14 AM
Member/Contributer

I have an Abit KT7A Raid MoBo with a Atholn 1.4. I'm going to tell you it is the hardest processor I have to cool when O/C'ing.

Invest in a good HSF set-up as the guys have said. I'm using the Mel. Glacier, but it is only as good as the air it has to cool with.
(as any HSF) It was great when I had it in my watercooling box. No probs there.

Whatever HSF you end up with, make sure it has a good supply of cool air. Invest in some case fans to move the air in there and keep the case cool.

My 1.4 is a great chip. With the water cooling I could push it up to 1650 and load it with folding and it would stay cranking for days. With the glacier it seems to top out at about 1575 to 1600 depending on the ambient temp in the house.

Good luck and enjoy your venture into O/C'ing.

P.S. Joining the folding team and using the F@H software to test your endurance is always a good method to check o/c.
----------------------------------------------

Old 18th March, 2002, 02:37 AM

Quote:
That Swifttech is really something!
IF you can afford the big swiftech then it is an awsome peice of kit.
The best air cooling you can buy.

As for fans...you will have to find the right ballance between noise and airflow.

A bit 80 or 120mm delta fan is the best as far as airflow...but you will go deaf.

Generally a biger slower spinning fan will be quietest.
If you want to use a 120 you will have to get creative about the mounting.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 18th March, 2002, 02:44 AM

I persoanlyl like Volcano 7+, mainly because I don't like a loud pc
So I just turn the fan speed down to low and it still does a good job of keeping my OC cpu below the 50 cel mark.
Old 18th March, 2002, 05:58 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

fan RPM isnt really critical, as a properly designed sink with a slow, and quiet fan, like the glaciator, can perform just as well as a "brute force" sink like the thermalright Sk6 with its 60mm delta. but fit a higer CFM (Cubic Foot per Minute) fan and performance will increase.

just wondering if there is anywhere where you can download an mp3 of a range of fans running? all recorded using same settings etc so you can get an idea of the noise? i think this would be a GREAT recource for newcomers and veterans alike.

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 19th March, 2002, 12:28 AM

Well, I ran into a problem right out of the box. This board I got is version 1.2 and may not be compatable with an XP chip. Dang it.
The good news is I have a T-Bird chip on the way and my overclock project is still on. This must be the reason why the board was so cheap ($72).
I read on other threads that earlier revisions of the board that is before v 1.3 may work with the XP.
Should I flash the bios with the v.13 software on this board? I will probably need to do a flash anyway to get it to work with the T-Bird 1.4. So, which should I do any hazards to be aware of?
Old 19th March, 2002, 01:40 PM

DONT flash with the rev 1.3 bios. the motherboard revisions are actually alterations to the hardware as i understand it. using a different bios may blow things up! flash to latest rev 1.2 bios, it may support XP but i cant tell you off the top of my head

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 19th March, 2002, 05:05 PM

KT7 or KT7A? I was only able to find info about the KT7A on motherboards.com (which is where abit.com redirects to). If it's the KT7 and uses the KT133 chipset (versus the KT133A), you might not wanna use it with a 266MHz FSB chip such as the athlon. The KT133 chipset doesn't support 133MHz FSB, whereas the KT133A chipset does. Which would cause problems for you, since the 1.4 T-birds REQUIRE that 133MHz FSB to hit 1.4GHz.
Old 19th March, 2002, 06:13 PM

The board I have is an Abit KT7A Raid.
Old 21st March, 2002, 05:46 AM

Quote:
just wondering if there is anywhere where you can download an mp3 of a range of fans running? all recorded using same settings etc so you can get an idea of the noise? i think this would be a GREAT recource for newcomers and veterans alike
www.sidewindercomputers.com has a section on their website where you can listen to almost all their fans for sale.
Old 21st March, 2002, 03:28 PM

Re: reply

Quote:
The board I have is an Abit KT7A Raid.
Good. Then it'll run the 1.4 at 1.4. I had a KT133 board that would run my 1.4 at only about 1050. Kinda annoying.

What did you finally decide to go with on heatsink, and did you overcome the problem of the board revision?
Old 21st March, 2002, 05:49 PM

As to the revision 1.2 board, I am going to live with it. It may accept in the future a XP chip. The way I use equipment with experiments and such it may not live long anyway.
I took a look at the Thermalright but you have to order the fan separate. I like complete packages. I am leaning torwards the Swiftech 462.
When I find what I feel is a good place to order I am going to get one or the other. Probably order tomorrow.
Old 22nd March, 2002, 02:19 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

You might have a look at Thermalright's brand new effort, the AX-7. One early review says it's better than the MCX-462. Dunno if that's true, one review does not a recommendation make. If it's close in performance to the very expensive Swiftech, yet costs less than a PAL-8045 it's worth serious consideration.

The Thermalright AX-7 isn't built like the micro-finned SK-6. It also mounts an 80mm fan by default.