AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th October, 2001, 05:35 AM
eobard

Volt mod

This is one I've asked in many a forum, I've joined some just to ask this one specific thing: Does anyone know how to volt mod an ASUS A7V-E? It isn't the same as the A7V or A7V133 and I'm at my limit until I can up my voltage past 1.85.

Anyone?
Old 4th October, 2001, 01:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

well while we are talking about voltmods umm.. can i ask how hard is it to mod a kt7a ?
Old 4th October, 2001, 02:00 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Re: Volt mod

Quote:
Originally posted by eobard
This is one I've asked in many a forum, I've joined some just to ask this one specific thing: Does anyone know how to volt mod an ASUS A7V-E? It isn't the same as the A7V or A7V133 and I'm at my limit until I can up my voltage past 1.85.

Anyone?
I don't know exactly how to do it. But find the Vcc regulator, and get the part number off it, then look the regulators specs up. If you have a basic understanding of electronics and power supply design, it should be oh so clear what to do from there . . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th October, 2001, 06:15 PM
eobard

Re: Re: Volt mod

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
If you have a basic understanding of electronics and power supply design, it should be oh so clear what to do from there . . . .
Yeah but my understanding of powersupplys is basic, very basic. I took electronics in school but that was a long time ago. And I hate having to think! Stupid thinking, making me have to use my brain!!! I'd much prefer if someone else had experimented with things before and knows how to do it instead of taking an educated guess. Is it possible to pin wrap a socket A chip to go over 1.85v?

Last edited by eobard; 5th October, 2001 at 12:44 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th October, 2001, 09:43 PM

You can find info on the Asus mod here.

KT7 series Volt Mod

Solder wires to Pin 7 and Pin 10 of the IC that controls the voltage to the CPU. Put a 47k trimmer (49 cents at Radio Shack part # 271-283) between Pin 10 and ground. Put a 100k trimmer (271-284) between Pin 7 and ground. You can add a 1k trimmer (271-280) in series with the 100k trimmer if you would like to make it easier to fine tune the voltage. Use a spade lug or loop under a motherboard mounting screw for your ground connection. For convenience I suggest you mount the trimmers on a piece of breadboard and secure it to your motherboard tray with Velcro.

Pin 7 controls the voltage, Pin 10 controls maximum voltage threshold. Turn the trimmers to full resistance boot your PC and start VIA Hardware Monitor. Set the polling interval to 2 seconds and slowly dial up the Pin 7 trimmer until the screen blanks. Your PC will probably reboot when the screen blanks. Note the voltage and back it off a tad while the computer reboots. Then dial up the Pin 10 trimmer until your screen blanks and back it off a tad. Go back into VIA Hardware Monitor and dial the Pin 7 trimmer up to 2.3 volts. You may be able to go higher but I don’t recommend it.

Caution this will stress your cooling. Be careful or your CPU could end up a crispy critter. I also suggest buying a third hand device from Radio Shack to hold a pre-tinned wire to the IC leg while you solder. The magnifying glass on the third had will come in handy too. Get in and out fast so you don’t toast the IC. Lay off the caffeine and if you are of age, have a beer a half hour before soldering to steady your hands.

Be sure to tie your wires down to the board. A dollop of five minute epoxy works well for this. After doing several boards, I finally screwed one up. The mod went fine but I snagged the wire to Pin 10 on the end of my workbench and ripped the IC pin right off the board.

Solder points pic.

If the supercooled, overclocking crowd discovers how fast duallies feel, there will be a stampede to build SMP rigs that will make the California gold rush look like a few little old ladies pushing shopping carts at the supermarket.
Old 4th October, 2001, 11:55 PM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by Colin
You can find info on the Asus mod here.
Everyone refers me to that site. It lists the A7V and A7V133 but not the A7V-E. I suppose it might use the same chip, although if it does the layout is definately much different, my board doesn't put the voltage regulator on a daughter card like the regular A7V. Still it could be the same, I've assumed because the A7V-E wasn't listed that things were too different. Time for me to stop assuming and actually take a look at my board.
Old 5th October, 2001, 12:09 AM

Eobard, it doesn't matter what board you have, it is just so simple.

1- Look for the Vcc regulator
2- Get the Vcc IC part number
3- Look up the IC's specs
4- Identify the pin called "Vfb" "Vfeedback" "Vsense" or something silmilar.
5- Wire a POT in a series circuit between that leg and a "GND" (ground) source.

Only thing you need to worry about is POT size, and frankly having a bigger POT than what you need(or two smaller POTs in a series) isn't too bad of an Idea anyway . . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 5th October, 2001, 12:19 AM

I believe chip your board uses is in the Athlon OC article. If memory serves me correctly, 47k pot on Pin 2 is correct. If you need help, post the ICs part number.

If the supercooled, overclocking crowd discovers how fast duallies feel, there will be a stampede to build SMP rigs that will make the California gold rush look like a few little old ladies pushing shopping carts at the supermarket.
Old 5th October, 2001, 12:42 AM
eobard

Lately I've been doing dumber and dumber things. I'm not surprised if my posts match. Has anyone been putting something in my water? I'm going to take a look at my board but regardless of wether I have the same chip or not I'm going to hold off on the mod until I'm certain my recent modifications to my backup machine are stable, I don't want to kill both machines, so I may be looking for further advice in a few days but nothing immediately. Thanks people.

Btw Are you sure none of you have been putting stuff in my water?? (he said as he slowly de-evolved into Homer Simpson...)
Old 5th October, 2001, 06:01 AM

LOL! Someone has been watching Dr. Strangelove.

Old 5th October, 2001, 11:40 AM
Pixel Slave to Satan

My $0.02 -

I don't think A7V-E would be the best solution for v-modding due to its very simple planar design in comparisson with its more expensive siblings.

This is the place I would always go to get my data from - http://www.vr-zone.com/guides/ - the clues given on their mods there should enable one to follow Jeff's lead of working it out for ones self.
Old 5th October, 2001, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wild_andy_c
My $0.02 -

I don't think A7V-E would be the best solution for v-modding due to its very simple planar design in comparisson with its more expensive siblings.

This is the place I would always go to get my data from - http://www.vr-zone.com/guides/ - the clues given on their mods there should enable one to follow Jeff's lead of working it out for ones self.
Damn Andy, I didn't know VR ZONE had so many good guides, I could turn any board in to a full blown overclocking board now . . . . . Hmm, I just got a funky yen to pull out some of my old Socket7 boards and a soldering iron, see if I can get some more FSB out of one of the boards PLLs, and add a VIO trimmer . . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 8th October, 2001, 12:45 AM
eobard

Tried to try it. My soldering iron decided to destroy my board by spraying solder all up under the volt regulator chip before I even began. Am attempting to undo the damage. For now I'm limited to my K6-2 which for some reasons isn't able to properly access Oc.com so if anyone asks over there why I'm not responding and anyone here feels like it I'd appreciate if you'd let it be known that I keep getting nailed with permission blocks. I don't think it's them, I'm pretty sure it's my firewall here but I've more important things to pull my hair out over right now. Anyhow gotta go kill my board, the iron however will live.... but it won't enjoy it's life.
Old 8th October, 2001, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by eobard
Tried to try it. My soldering iron decided to destroy my board by spraying solder all up under the volt regulator chip before I even began. Am attempting to undo the damage. For now I'm limited to my K6-2 which for some reasons isn't able to properly access Oc.com so if anyone asks over there why I'm not responding and anyone here feels like it I'd appreciate if you'd let it be known that I keep getting nailed with permission blocks. I don't think it's them, I'm pretty sure it's my firewall here but I've more important things to pull my hair out over right now. Anyhow gotta go kill my board, the iron however will live.... but it won't enjoy it's life.
I managed to voltage modify 8KHA by placing a 220K resistor across pin 2 to 17 of the CS5301 - this will also work on 8KHA+