AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th March, 2002, 06:21 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
Thoroughbred(and Appaloosa for us poor folk)wherefore art thou?
Funny you should mention Thoroughbred, AMD has been churning them out for the past week. They will be announced any day now. AMD doesn't announce products until they hit the distribution channels. If I had to guess, Thoroughbred will be announced tomorrow or a week from then. Supposedly AMD will make 1800+ 2000+ and 2200+ Thoroughbred parts initially, with 2400+ 2600+ and 2800+ to follow as needed . . . .

Appaloosa is still a ways off. It won't be out for 2 or 3 more months. First AMD will release a Morgan 1.4GHz, then later the Appaloosa 1800+ will be released . . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 24th March, 2002 at 07:22 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th March, 2002, 04:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to fireball_87

looks like my brand new tyan tiger mp will be a waist of time lol . o well. time to find a way to get more $$$
512mb crucial pc 2100 ddr
sound blaster audigy
120gb 7200 rpm WD hard drive
40x12x40 cd burner
16x dvd
450wpsu
alienware style green case (:

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th March, 2002, 06:01 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thanks Jeff! I recently read that Thoroughbred was pushed back by two months, hope you have the better info.

The T-bred is losing hype as the Hammer's have everyone's interest right now. Even if the Thoroughbred sports half of the performance increase that the most shrill hype promises, it will again put the P4 into the back seat. Where the Pentium(Ooh! Wow!) 4 belongs.
Old 24th March, 2002, 06:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to CaesaR

2 questions....when, and how much
120gig 7200RPM 8meg Cache
ATI Radeon 9600Pro
9774 3D Marks (2001SE)
Old 24th March, 2002, 06:56 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by CaesaR
2 questions....when, and how much
Possibly as early as October, and I'd say $200-$250 for the CPU and $175-$200 for motherboard within 1 week of introduction. Those are guesses, BTW.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 26th March, 2002, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
Thanks Jeff! I recently read that Thoroughbred was pushed back by two months, hope you have the better info.
I'm hearing a couple of different dates now. Some are speculating the 1st will be the launch date, some say the 15th. I hope it's the 1st, but the 15th isn't too far off. On the 15th some AMD price changes officially go in to effect too.

AOA Team fah
Old 26th March, 2002, 04:51 AM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
I'm hearing a couple of different dates now. Some are speculating the 1st will be the launch date, some say the 15th. I hope it's the 1st, but the 15th isn't too far off. On the 15th some AMD price changes officially go in to effect too.
Maybe they'll launch on my birthday!

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 26th March, 2002, 01:12 PM

It seems Intel may officially announce the P4 2.4A next Monday. I'm expecting AMD to "hit back" with a Thoroughbred 2200+ announcement. We shall have to see . . .

But as we all know, AMD and Intel can announce all the products they want, but it doesn't do us a lick of good if they are not in the distribution channel . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 26th March, 2002, 01:18 PM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
but it doesn't do us a lick of good if they are not in the distribution channel . . .
Or if they just plain old suck

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 26th March, 2002, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman53142

Or if they just plain old suck
You mean like the P4?

In truth the P4 is a very advanced piece of silicon. It's just that the architectural "trade-offs" that Intel made have yet to pay off. The chip has amazing potential in that it's scalability will allow it to execute load/store instructions at a scary fast pace(as long as the memory bandwidth is there). The downside is that the price of that scalability is more frequent branch misprediction with conditional instructions, and a greater penalty for those mispredictions(something to the tune of 23 clock cycles go to waist with a mispredict, compared to 11 clock cycles with the Athlon).

The P4 will need a 50% clock speed advantage to out perform the Athlon in every respect. Intel could do this now, but they won't. They want to milk every red cent from each and every MHz.

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 26th March, 2002 at 10:04 PM.
Old 3rd April, 2002, 03:58 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Your using Ulead. Download a copy of Xmpeg and try that.
OK, Jeff, I finally got around to downloading it. Now here's my problem. I'm not interested in taking video clips and converting them 'per se'. I'm interested in an app that will take the data stream coming through the firewire port and create a video file. Can Xmpeg do that? I can't even tell how to use the plug-ins.
Old 3rd April, 2002, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI
I'm interested in an app that will take the data stream coming through the firewire port and create a video file. Can Xmpeg do that?
Honestly, I don't know. I don't have a firwire controller or digital camera the interfaces with fireware. But what Xmpeg can do, and does damn fast, is convert MPEG2 in to DivX. It can convert 768x576 resolution 16bit color MPEG2's in to DivX at about 90% of realtime on my Morgan@1.3GHz, that is smokin!

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd April, 2002, 05:01 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I read the review as well as some support info, and FAQs. I think I understand what makes the encoding so fast compared to other combinations of apps & codecs. I guess I can find good use for it myself. But for my primary video needs, I think I'll have to stick with what I got... All the more reason to get that upgrade, me thinks .
Old 3rd April, 2002, 08:05 PM

Send a message via ICQ to FerrariF50 Send a message via AIM to FerrariF50 Send a message via Yahoo to FerrariF50

you posted this in every thread...

------------------------------------------------
:My System:

Amd 1.1Ghz ThunderBird

128Mb Ram
Windows Xp Pro
16.6 Gig Ibm drive
5.6Gig Maxtor drive
Hitachi Gd-2500 dvd-rom drive
Sony CRX-140E Cd Writer
TDK 52/24/48 Cd Writer
Ibm/Sony G94 Monitor 19"
Yamaha YST-MS201 speakers
Intel PII450Mhz <-------Server computer