AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th January, 2007, 11:27 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Interactive AMD Athlon 64 Socket AM2 Pinmod guide

"Finally, it was possible to find out the appropriate pins for the Socket AM2 processors and the first interactive AMD Athlon 64 Socket AM2 pinmod guide is published on ocinside.de"

Read more on the Front Page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/1807/2/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd February, 2007, 02:29 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

1.9v VCC. Hmm, maybe for you, but not for me. Thanks for the link, Gizmo!
Old 4th February, 2007, 07:33 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Ououi, these Core Voltage mods require a magnifier and mighty steady hands. I'd have a tough time wiring CPU pins together that are this small. Not to mention that the wiring job must allow the processor to seat in the socket properly. OTOH, you can goose the voltage far above spec!
Old 4th February, 2007, 09:49 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

is "increasement" even a word? /ponder
Old 12th March, 2007, 05:58 PM

This looks like good news for me. I can increase my clock speed, but not my multiplier or VCore voltage. This may finally enable me to get a decent overclock. Has anyone here tried this? Were they successful? Also, I think I'm at 1.2v. How much should I increase it to get a decent overclock? 1.3 is the next increment up for my CPU (Athlon 64x2 3800+ AM2 65w). Will that be enough, too much, or the right amount? Right now I can only increase the mhz about 5% without raising the voltage. After that my system becomes unstable and doesn't boot right. My BIOS lets me increase the clock to some level I'll never use (500mhz from the normal 200mhz) so the only limit is heat. The hottest I've seen my CPU get is about 42c after a couple HOURS of 100% use (playing a PS2 emulator that maxes my CPU). Any advice is welcome and greatly appreciated.
Old 12th March, 2007, 07:15 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Overclocking is not an exact science; it's about equal parts guesswork and luck.

First thing to do is increase your clock up to the point where the system starts to become unstable. Then bump your voltage. Rinse and repeat. Be sure to keep you eyes on your temp while you are experimenting.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th March, 2007, 08:53 PM

My experience of both S939 and AM2 is that extra volts are almost no help after about 15% has been added. You very quickly reach a point where even 0.2V increases net you about a 20MHz increase in speed. Very clever, but no use to anyone unless it helps the phase-change boys.

M

Last edited by Meridian; 12th March, 2007 at 08:54 PM.
Old 13th March, 2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridian
My experience of both S939 and AM2 is that extra volts are almost no help after about 15% has been added. You very quickly reach a point where even 0.2V increases net you about a 20MHz increase in speed. Very clever, but no use to anyone unless it helps the phase-change boys.

M
This trend is going to get worse with smaller production processes.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21
Old 13th March, 2007, 07:35 PM

Just thought I'd let you know that the AM2 pin mod was a success, so I can now confirm that it works, although it's VERY difficult. I used tweezers, a magnifying glass, and mini-scissors from a swiss army knife. Cloasters was right about bending the pins. I did that, but managed to move them back with significantly less trouble than it took me to get the wire loop on the pins I needed without it touching any others. My BIOS is convinced that I installed a different CPU (it notified me of this the first time I booted after the mod. Next time I'll buy a motherboard with voltage options.