AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th March, 2002, 12:05 AM

K6-III+ & Asus P5A-B Adventures

I have also posted this over at 2cpu, but I thought maybe I would get a better response here since this really has nothing to do with dual processors. I am simply on the 2cpu forums all the time, so that is why I posted there first. And now it is time for my story:

Allright, so I have this Pentium 200mmx overclocked to 263 / 105 fsb. It was my main rig last year, and it was pretty stable too. I used to use a Diamond Stealth III s540 pci video card, my AWE 64 Gold, and some other goodies on it all under Windows 98.

After I got some new hardware, and finally got my current main rig working (and work well it does!), this machine kinda fell off to the side. I let my dad use it for awhile, but once I set him up with a dual Pentium 2 350 MHz, this other computer was not used. At least it was not until I got Red Hat Linux 7.2...

I set it up with the following components on RH 7.2:

Asus P5A-B rev 1.05

Pentium 200mmx @ 263 / 105 fsb

512 MB (1 stick) Atlas Precision PC133 w/ Nanya chips (board has a limitation of 256 meg sticks, so it can only see 256 of it)

8 meg Number Nine PCI video card

AWE 64 Gold

Intel Pro 100 PCI network adapter

Quantum 18.2 gig Fireball AS Plus IDE hard disk

other goodies such as CD & Floppy (oh yeah, and a really heavy IBM model M keyboard)

I will get straight to the point here. The point is that it ran slower than a dead turtle. I figured that it must be the processor limiting it, so I found some K6-III+ 450 processors for sale. I bought 2 of them since I was also making a linux computer for her, and she currently had a K6-2 300, so it should be alot faster than what she had (her board is an Asus P5A-B rev 1.04). The chips were only $69 apiece, which was not too bad considering I didn't need to upgrade the motherboards.

So I wait for the processors. They came. Ooohh, yummy! I used to want one of these processors so bad back in the day. I thought "Sweet. Now Linux won't suck so bad."

I stick the first processor in my board. It wouldn't post. I checked all of the jumpers, and they were set correctly. I tried clearing the CMOS, but it didn't help. For no good reason, I set the voltage to 2.1 volts instead of the needed 2.0 volts... and it POSTed! Yaay.

But what is this? Linux is now running slower. I couldn't even play an mp3 while trying to go to "root home" or the mp3 would skip, stutter, and slow down.

I also put the other processor in my sister's Linux machine, and it seemed to run faster. It didn't run nearly as slow as mine though?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th March, 2002, 12:08 AM

...and it goes on some more!

I needed my machine up and running, and I was getting sick of slow Linux, so I installed Windows 98 on mine. The installation went without trouble. Sweet, right? Nope. Random crash & reboot witing a minute after loading windows for the first time. It also ran kinda slow. Anyways, the thing was the most unstable machine I have ever had. Every few minutes it would BSOD or randomly reboot. Windows 98 sucks.

So I put Windows 2000 Professional on it. Similarly, the installation went without issue. It was much more stable, but I was still getting too many random reboots. Once I disabled the "Reboot on error" or whatever the thing is, it wouldn't have so many random reboots and would simply BSOD instead.

I tried a 2 meg S3 PCI video card instead, and it ran more stably, but it was still slow and unstable. So... I changed the power supply after I noticed that my 12v rail was down around 11.5~11.6 volts. That was too low of a voltage. Anyways, the new power supply gives me 11.85~11.9 volts, which is much better. It did run more stable, but still not completely stable.

So I overclocked it. I now have it running at 506 MHz on a 112.25 fsb! But you know what? It is way more stable now. I had it running from Wednesday night to Friday afternoon without any problems. The only problem is that it still benches between about 40~60% of what a normal K6-III would benchmark at, and I have tried various version of Sisoft Sandra. (I know it is a bad benchmark, but I know that it is running slow even through normal use.)

However, on Friday I finally received the replacement for my Hecules 3D Prophet II GTS 64meg DVI, so I just had to stick that thing in there. I had thought that a PCI video card might have been slowing the system down, but it still ran slow with the new video card. It is also less stable now.

In fact, this thing is running slower and less stable than my Pentium 200 mmx @ 263 / 105 fsb ran.

Here is my question: do any of you have experience with this processor and/or board, or do any of you know of any incompatibilites with my board & processor? Also, does anyone have any recommendations as to how I can get this thing running properly?

Thank you in advance.
- CamoAlien
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th March, 2002, 03:47 AM
.:N2:.

well bro..

i have a Asus sp98AGP-x w/ a k6 266 in it.
i don't do much of anything with it.. but it's not that slow, and it's certainly stable as all getout.
i use a #9 vid card, and some NIC..

that aint much help, i know..

but!
see my first box, which i built myself *back pats* was a K6-2 450

i used the asus board, and also messed with a,
aww hell if i can remember now...

anyways,
3D AGP was always hArrible! gaming with the box was lame as could be.. however.. i ran it *up to* 560Mhz with reasonable cooling and average temps.

what i did, was bump the vCore to 2.8v and push the FSB as far as stability would allow. probly can't possibly hit over 115 with any k6 but hey! the chip Will take it and smile... be sure you have some "adequate" cooling tho. keep an eye closely on the temps for awhile too.

now onto your situation... in particular what i see as a potential problem is the MASSIVE stick of RAM ya got there!
the mobo should Not support that stick by no means...
hence, you'll have mega-stability issues. RAM is your main "Flake"
nuthin' screws with ya ruining a perfectly good day like a wacky RAM stick... in this case, you've got a nice big whopper that can't really be expected to work properly in this environment.

bro, i'm bettin if you get a 128Mb stick of good ol' cheap SDRAM PC133 (to tolerate 115FSB for certain) you'll get some of that performance.

all in all, the K6-3 should be a decent performer for it's "class"
this is dinosaur stuff, but man, it should rock the 233 pent cuz them things is teh sUx.
keep in mind tho, the K6 line was not as good as the P2's...
they are "Almost compatible" with everything... but certainly, not perfect. that's the case with AMD.
so the small peculiarities with RAM, mobo, chipset, vid card.. can be slightly increased, thus more scrutiny to those items must be excersized

i hope this helps you get that chip runnin' better, a K6-3 is a hArrible thing to waste!
Old 25th March, 2002, 06:09 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Very helpful post, .:N2:.. Well done!
Old 25th March, 2002, 06:54 AM

Cool, N2.

I will try a single 256 meg stick of Kingmax PC150.
The odd thing though is that it ran perfect with this RAM when I had it set up with the 200mmx under Windows 98 a few months ago. Oh well.
Old 25th March, 2002, 07:25 AM

It seems to run a tiny bit smoother with the Kingmax RAM, but it still benches the same.

I also just got a BSOD. I am going to go change CD drives to see if it helps.
Old 25th March, 2002, 08:23 AM

did you up the vCore to 2.8v ?

the 256Mb stick is the way to go IMO. stick with that at least to troubleshoot this further.

so whaddya wanna do, start with the really obvious and go from there?

how bout the jumpers?
*you have the multiplier set at what 4.5?
*and the FSB at 100, right?

*what are the current temperatures?

and for nothing more than kicks...

*is it possible you could pull that "Other" K6-3 and drop it in your board?

i'd like to rule out something as silly as ...

"Just a dud CPU"

please look that over,
from there we have to investigate possible culprits in the BIOS i guess. i have my Asus manual here, i'll look for a copy to match your mobo as well.

as long as your PSU is giving adequate power, theres no reason the chip should'nt rock n' roll.
*do you have any specs for the PSU?

i'll keep checkin' back.
Old 25th March, 2002, 08:55 AM

i found the manual here..
http://usa.asus.com/download/manual/mb-man-other.htm

and as i expected, it's the "Good ol' days BIOS" which allows config for everything and anything under the sun.

this can be a gift from the overclocking gods, or a curse from the n00bie whacker... all depending on your knowledge.

now, we have an interesting element added to the equation, that being Linux... but, i'm assuming that since you see BSOD's Linux isn't in there right now.

anyways, some settings in the BIOS can be OS specific it appears, thus i can't help on the linux side.

back to what i can help with.

how familiar are you with BIOS settings and what they do?
there is a BIOS optimization guide on the net, i just need to relocate it. also, if you want, you can IM me, and i'll attempt to walk thru your settings with you and we can try to get it better.

help section:

http://www.itcp.net/~awsh/Speed_Demo...uide_Index.htm

http://www.lostcircuits.com/advice/bios2/1.shtml

http://burks.brighton.ac.uk/burks/pc...sg/bios_sg.htm
http://www.wimsbios.com/

Last edited by .:N2:.; 25th March, 2002 at 09:06 AM.
Old 25th March, 2002, 11:57 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
Originally posted by .:N2:.
did you up the vCore to 2.8v ?
The K6-III+ is a laptop CPU built on a .18u process. 2.8V would kill it without a doubt! 2.1V is as much as you should ever put to such a CPU.

Make sure that you have the latest BIOS from ASUS CamoAlien, and be sure that it is capable of supporting the K6-X+ mobile CPUs. Without proper BIOS support for any CPU, the system is bound to flake out.

Try boosting the VIO too, see if that helps.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 25th March, 2002, 12:02 PM

Almost forgot. My P5As(I've owned 4 of them over the years) were never very stable with memory in the first dimm slot, try tossing your stick in the second slot.

AOA Team fah
Old 25th March, 2002, 04:32 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I will try them out later tonight when I get back.

Oh yeah, the default voltage for this chip is 2.0 volts, so 2.8 would be a bad idea. Unless I want to OC it to 1GHz or something.
Old 25th March, 2002, 06:54 PM

http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm

Last edited by .:N2:.; 25th March, 2002 at 06:57 PM.
Old 25th March, 2002, 07:11 PM

I have a bit of experience with the K6-2+ and K6-3+ series of procs and I can give you a few hints and items to try and check to get it running right. First, not all boards will run a K6-2+ or K6-3+ proc, as they were originally manufactured for laptops and most desktop motherboards don't natively support them without a bios update. I presently have a shuttle Hot 591-P board running a K6-2+ 450 @ 550, but I had to flash to the latest bios to run the proc on that board. To get your K6-3+ proc working properly on your board, you will have to find a bios update that supports it. I built a computer last year for my brother using a Tyan S-1598 board and it allready had the latest bios on it, which supports the K6-3+(unofficially) and it is running @ 600 mhz and 2.4 volts vcore. BTW, the K6-2+ and K6-3+ can take vcore as high as 2.6 volts, as long as you cool them real well. I use a GW FOP32 on my K6-2+ and I have no problems whatsoever at 2.6 volts vcore.

I used to have a link to a site that showed the various mb's that were K6-2+ and K6-3+ compatible but I lost it when an IBM 75GXP died on me.
Old 25th March, 2002, 08:23 PM

As for cooling on my processor, I am using a Coolermaster heatsink & fan from an Athlon-thunderbird. Plenty big, I might add, for this processor. It stays at a nice, cool, room temperature.

Dang. I found this page and in the list of boards, it says that rev 1.05 (which I have) has a hardware problem with the k6-X+ processors.

On the other hand, the bios listed there is newer than the one I have, and it is also newer than the one on Asus' site, so it is worth a try.

Anyways, that would explain why it runs fast on my sister's board. She has a revision 1.04 board. If any of you know of any hardware mods I can do to mine to make it work right, then I have no problem whipping out my soldering iron to do so.

Or I guess I could look for a different board. I hope I can find one for cheap. I was extremely close to getting a DFI K6-BV3+/66 last year, so I know tons about this board. It is actually a really nice one, and I like the expansion slot layout. I might go hunt around for one.

By the way, thank you all for all your responses. I was actually suprised to get this many so fast here. You guys have just gained another ally (not to mention I like EPoX alot, especially my KP6-BS).
Old 25th March, 2002, 09:12 PM

AOA Team fah
Old 26th March, 2002, 02:05 AM

Alright, I am home now.

Here is what I am going to try, probably in this order:
Move RAM to different slots.
Put a K6-2 300 in mine to see how it runs (both speed & BSOD)
Swap boards with my sister. 300 MHz is more than fast enough for her. All she does is play the gnibbler game in Linux anyways (well, my dad also plays freecell)

N2: I am quite familiar with the BIOS options, although there are a few that I don't know what they do.

Also, I was looking at one of those pages that N2 posted. My processor (K6-III+ 450 ACZ stepping) only puts out 16 watts max, and about 12 nominal! That is nice, and very good for OC'ing once I get this thing stable.
Old 26th March, 2002, 04:21 AM

I moved the RAM, but it had no effect, and was still slow & unstable.

I swapped processors for the K6-2 300. The stability problems were gone, and it handled multitasking much better, but it was even slower than the slow K6-III+ (and slower yet than my 200mmx @ 263/105fsb ).

I am swapping motherboards right now. BRB
Old 26th March, 2002, 04:49 AM

Arrow I changed out the motherboard, and...

It works. By golly, it works!

I stuck the rev 1.04 board in my rig with my sister's K6-III+ 450, and it is sweet. It is over twice as fast as the old setup, and this is with a POS stick of ram (128 megs, 10ns, PC100).

Now it is time to try my Kingmax PC150 256 meg stick, and maybe also my 512 meg Atlas Precision stick. After that, I will try my K6-III+ in there to make sure it didn't get messed up.

I think I actually was talking to someone about my P5A-B boards once and they said something about the different revisions & these processors. It was within the past few months, IIRC. Oh well.

Last edited by CamoAlien; 4th April, 2002 at 06:41 AM.
Old 31st March, 2002, 04:09 PM

Cool cpu's

if yer lookin for some real punch, i have the last processor they made, the very rare k6III+ 550mhz model.

runs 600 without any problems, posts much higher.

bldegle2@pacbell.net

You can get these puppies to run really fast, totaly usable by 98% of the consumers out there today.

drop me a line if you want it, i also have two FIC503+'s, pretty nice boards for this same processor.

baldy