AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th March, 2007, 07:05 PM
AOA Staff

AMD 690 chipset, a first look

Read more about this on the front page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/2101/1/
Old 4th March, 2007, 08:57 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

Interesting they say the graphics chip is x700 based, as that was an 8 pipeline part and clocked higher than the old 9800xt (also 8 pipeline) where as this new chipset is a 4 pipelines which is 9600, x600 sort of tech.
Off loading the vertex shader to the cpu is an intel extremely pants graphics trick.

Seems it looses badly to an x1300 in benchmarks which is far from a stellar 3d chip!

Integrated graphics boards usually carry a premium over normal boards, the money you save could probably afford an x1300 or so
Old 5th March, 2007, 03:41 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Yeah but, but, on board Intel '"graphics"' don't seem to raise the price of a mobo. Not that they should, lame, lamer, lamest identifies built-in Intel graphoid efforts. Maybe this isn't true with very up to date Intel on board video wonderfullness?
Old 5th March, 2007, 02:33 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

It is generally true that boards with integrated graphics cost more than boards without, but it is also generally true that SYSTEMS with integrated graphics cost less than SYSTEMS without integrated graphics, although they also tend not to perform as well.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th March, 2007, 04:11 PM
Member/Contributer

I've never seen evidence of onboard video coming at a premium, the cheapest motherboard I can think of in the uk at £25 comes with onboard video. And moving up to a more mid range product like a Geforce 6100 based board you're still only looking at £35, far cheaper than any graphics card and motherboard combined.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th March, 2007, 09:02 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

But also far less performance...
Old 8th March, 2007, 09:50 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
I've never seen evidence of onboard video coming at a premium, the cheapest motherboard I can think of in the uk at £25 comes with onboard video. And moving up to a more mid range product like a Geforce 6100 based board you're still only looking at £35, far cheaper than any graphics card and motherboard combined.
And this is the "new way". Integrated graphics are "on-the-cheap", and will continue to be so for quite some time, if not forever.

Although this chipset is not a stellar 3D performer, it IS the best there is ATM, although that may be short-lived. Although the graphics engine is based on the x700, the x700 doesn't have AVIVO either, so you must realize that any comparisons are purely performance- and feature-based, as this chipset does not feature SM3.0 compatibility in order to keep space to a minimum.

Frankly, I'm a bit disappointed in this product myself, however I understand it's place in the market.