AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th March, 2002, 01:23 PM

Abit KT7A-RAID w/Athlon 1700+

Abit KT7A-Raid with an Athlon 1700+
Viper V770
256meg Crucial Memory
2 Maxtor 40gig 7200rpm UDMA 100 (using raid striping)

I have upgraded this system to the latest drivers for the bios and the highpoint controller. It still has periodic lock up issues, I haven't ruled out the video card but I'm hoping it isn't the problem because I spent all my money upgrading the system. The information I have found on this in forums and F.A.Q.s all indicate that its really a hit and miss issue, that I just have to keep messing with it till I figure it out. That worries me so if anyone has any suggestions or a definate fix to this problem I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks,
oddicy
Old 30th March, 2002, 02:22 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SickBoy Send a message via AIM to SickBoy

The KT7A is generally incompatible with AthlonXP/MP chips. You might want to check the board revision, if it's not 1.3 or newer you're not going to have much of a leg to stand on with any retailer....
Member #100

Abit KT7A-Raid----TBird 1 GHz@1333------Alpha PAL8045--------1.8v
MSI K7D Master---2x Duron 1.2@1320-----Glaciator II and SK6----1.75V
Asus A7N266-VM-----XP 1800+----SVC GC12----1.75V

"People want to know what I'm on. What am I on?!? I'm on my bike, six hours a day."

-Lance Armstrong, cancer survivor, father, and four-time Tour de France champion
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st March, 2002, 12:31 AM

I have an Abit KT7A Raid (revision 1.2). I got a great price for it and have had it maybe a week. I had thought it would be compatable with an XP. I had no idea that a revision would be an issue. Oh well, The board runs fine.
I have done a lot of reading online about the XP issue on early revision boards. It may work. I have seen post in other forums that even earlier boards work.
It seems to be a matter of luck.
Old 3rd April, 2002, 07:48 PM
Member/OES

Send a message via ICQ to [PCE]Overclocka Send a message via AIM to [PCE]Overclocka

If your KT7A is a version older than 1.3 it will run with an XP CPU but its not guaranteed to by Abit, only 1.3 boards or later are officially supported

E-mail me

Epox 8KHA+ | Athlon XP 1700+ | DD Maze 2-1 | CoolerCore with 2*170mm Comair Rotron fans | Eheim 1250
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd April, 2002, 09:04 PM
Member/OES

Send a message via ICQ to [PCE]Overclocka Send a message via AIM to [PCE]Overclocka

Quote:
Originally posted by Betty
[PCE]Overclocka, welcome to our fair forums I really hope you enjoy your stay here.
Just one little thing though. Only Allied Site owners/editors/writers are allowed to have links in their signatures. I would recommend that you remove the image and link from your signature.
Hi, I hope I'll enjoy my stay here too

As for the image, I'm the webmaster of PC-Extreme , recently became an ally a few days ago.

E-mail me

Epox 8KHA+ | Athlon XP 1700+ | DD Maze 2-1 | CoolerCore with 2*170mm Comair Rotron fans | Eheim 1250
Old 6th April, 2002, 03:32 PM
.:N2:.

i would suggest contacting Abit with your slip of purchase as proof...

and basically, raise a little hell. :devil:

as the MFR ought be concerned with the satisfaction of their consumers, you have a really, really good chance of getting the latest revision shipped to you for free.

nonetheless, it's RMA'able as it is..
the thing is unstable and locks up.

don't just "Swallow" under-par quality...

stand up and be heard on it!

i have done just this, many a times, and it rarely ever fails.

when you bought their RAID mobo you did so based on a reputation of a company for quality and performance.
you bought it to have a RAID controller you can rely upon.
this is not the case.

ANY company would recognize this, and satisfy you, the customer.

please give this a shot.
it's very worth any time it will take you to contact them.