AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th June, 2007, 02:59 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Hehe will see how you score
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th June, 2007, 03:32 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

The R600 isnt a bad card but amd needid better.
It wins some benchmarks but thats about it. They have left themselves wide open to a whole can of trouble because they've had to price the card to sell. Nvidia are making a killing on there products at present and can easily goto a price war with AMD and hurt them bad (they are cutting the cost of 8800's atm)
AMD really needs to be selling the R600 for £350+ (high end) to recoup there expenditure. However to be competitive on price / performance they're having to sell them around £250.

Who ever has the fastest kit be it CPU or GPU pretty much gets to control the price of the market. As some people will pay whatever it takes to have the fastest kit around
Old 18th June, 2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow
If you are building a computer around a 50 -100 CPU I think AMD still has it.

I still use 3500 on builds and they are chap and plenty fast. a x2 3800 is dirt cheap right now. Hard to beat for daily computing on a budget.

I guess if this keeps up, I don't know what to do for my next upgrade. I dread thinking of going to the dark side.....
I disagree. That may be true now, but with AM2 becoming defunct very soon and to be replaced, the 3800 and 3600 CPUs start to look like false economy.
To get them to perform well, you need to overclock. To do this, you need a good motherboard.
Yet if you are going to upgrade in the future, both will need chucking. You might argue that AM2+ will offer backwards compatability, but if you put an AM2 CPU in an AM2+ Motherboard, it will be pointless as it will only perform as if it was in an AM2 socket. And if you put a AM2+ cpu in a AM2 motherboard, it will only perform as an AM2 CPU. It's probably best to stick with a slightly lower performing Intel CPU that leaves a great improved road for upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Last edited by aghastpumpkin; 18th June, 2007 at 04:06 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th June, 2007, 04:30 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I will say this again....I am talking about average daily users .

I have been using 3500s and the 6100 board for the last few builds. Been really nice performers. Especially for less than 300 dollars total hardware.

I would never do this for a computer of my own. The only reason I got the x2 3800 and DFI board when I did, it was way cheap and still a good performer. Especially @ 2.7.

Last edited by Samuknow; 18th June, 2007 at 04:32 PM.
Old 19th June, 2007, 02:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to funnyperson1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghastpumpkin
I disagree. That may be true now, but with AM2 becoming defunct very soon and to be replaced, the 3800 and 3600 CPUs start to look like false economy.
To get them to perform well, you need to overclock. To do this, you need a good motherboard.
Yet if you are going to upgrade in the future, both will need chucking. You might argue that AM2+ will offer backwards compatability, but if you put an AM2 CPU in an AM2+ Motherboard, it will be pointless as it will only perform as if it was in an AM2 socket. And if you put a AM2+ cpu in a AM2 motherboard, it will only perform as an AM2 CPU. It's probably best to stick with a slightly lower performing Intel CPU that leaves a great improved road for upgrades.
Not really, AM2+ won't offer any crazy performance increases anyways, the only big differences are HT3.0 which offers more HT bandwith and PCIE2.0 which offers more PCIE bandwith. Neither technologies are really necessary even for a mid-high range machine. HT and PCIE offer PLENTY of bandwith for almost all hardware on the market. Sure if you are running dual 8800GTX cards in SLI those busses are being saturated, but the majority of enthusiasts, and especially those even considering an AM2 system who are obviously concerned with economy don't care about that.

The AM2 platform is solid (its at least as good, and probably better than 775) and the only problem is that the processors themselves are weak.

I fail to see how the X2s represent false economy. Sure you need a good motherboard, but with AMD chips a good motherboard usually means $70-80 for one that will max out an X2 3600+. For the longest time Newegg was running a TForce550/3600+ combo for a total of $125, and this was when the cheapest C2D was $170 by itself.

If you are happy with the performance of your X2 and you saved a bunch of money over buying an Intel setup, that seems to me to be the truest of economies.
2GB Crucial Ballistix 6400@ DDR2 1000 C5
Geforce 7900GS
2x160gig hdd with WinXP, Vista, and Ubuntu
member of FOLDING@HOME team 32
Latitude D620 with XP, Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon
Old 19th June, 2007, 04:36 PM

I'm from the UK, where pricing is drasticallly different and I personally feel my point still stands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 19th June, 2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard
Hehe will see how you score
That we shall! Initially I'll have only a few older games to run and no newer titles except for Stalker and HL2 - Lost Coast. I'm open to ideas as to what title I should pick up to test the 2900. I've read that it handles Oblivion pretty well and a few others, so maybe something tougher to render like Supreme Commander with it's hundreds of units on large maps would be a better test...
Old 1st July, 2007, 09:49 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Looks like Barcelona is going to launch at 2.0Ghz. A bit below the Feb. roadmap anticipated 2.3Ghz. Gotta say.... disappointing....

Read about it here if you're so inclined.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=7890

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......