AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th June, 2007, 04:22 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

AMD's 'Barcelona' fails to impress in 'Quick and Dirty' Benchmark

Source : Dailytech : http://www.dailytech.com/Quick+and+D...rticle7574.htm

The guys over at dailytech managed to get there gubby mits on an AMD 'Barcelona' system, clocked at just 1.6GHz using the latest revison silicon from AMD it wasn't going to break any benchmark records.
They only managed to get a quick run of cinebench in on the system and scored 814 with a time of 27 seconds.

The closest intel system they could find was a 2.4GHz Xeon 3220 benched with a score of 1274 and completed in 17 seconds. This is an approx 58% advantage to Intel with a 50% boost in clockspeed. 'IF' AMD were able to clock the barca to 2.4GHz (apparently current silicon is only good for 2GHz tops and roadmaps only show upto 2.3GHz the system would still loose this benchmark.

What makes things worse is the intel chip can do way more than 2.4GHz, (2.66GHz xeons and 2.93GHz core 2 quads are avaliable now!) and it was only a clovertown (kentsfield xeon chip) and not even a penryn derivative which is known to be faster clock for clock.

What is even worse is the late July 'Anouncement' is going to be only that a paper launch and shipment of chips / boards by september is 'optimistic'
By which time Intels X38 chipset will be here (thats what was in the xeon system) and the penryn core wont be far behind either.
Old 6th June, 2007, 04:31 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Last word I've heard is that volume shipments of Barcelona won't hit the streets until late December/early January, which would coincide with volume production in September/October time frame.

Apparently Cray Computers were planning on releasing a major new system based around Barcelona, and have announced the delay of the system. According to a post I saw over at the Inquirer, the announcement cost Cray about 14% in stock pricing.

Something else to think about:

AMD were planning to transition to 45 nM in 2008; it now looks like they will barely make the transition to 65 nM in 2008.

Last edited by Gizmo; 6th June, 2007 at 04:31 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th June, 2007, 04:44 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

That sucks, AMD really need to get back into contention, and sharpish.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th June, 2007, 06:16 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Wouldn't you know it, AMD greatly needs our "support" to even survive at this point. Yet their performance sucks pretty bad. What to do? Buy a CPU from them, then throw it into the trash? It's hard to justify a box built around an AMD proc at this point in time. Unless benchmarks are of little concern.
Old 6th June, 2007, 07:35 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Are AMD even competitive for the budget end of the market right now? If they are then I guess for lower end builds it might be worth buying an AMD chip, however at the top end, going AMD is largely pointless right now

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 6th June, 2007, 07:39 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

With the price cuts, I think AMD are quite competitive at the low end.

The problem is that they have worked so hard to build a rep as a credible top tier provider of components, and they are now trashing that.
Old 6th June, 2007, 07:55 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Observations from 3 years ago.
http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/235046-post9.html
Old 6th June, 2007, 08:59 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

If you are building a computer around a 50 -100 CPU I think AMD still has it.

I still use 3500 on builds and they are chap and plenty fast. a x2 3800 is dirt cheap right now. Hard to beat for daily computing on a budget.

I guess if this keeps up, I don't know what to do for my next upgrade. I dread thinking of going to the dark side.....
Old 6th June, 2007, 09:07 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Given what I know about Barcelona now, I'm hoping to do a new build in July or August, and it is going to be Conroe.
Old 7th June, 2007, 02:30 AM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

AMD do have a good price / performance ratio at the moment for the mid to low end at least which gets them sales however they've had to cut prices so much to get there that they are not making all that much money and share holders wont be happy with it.
What will be concerning amd at the low end is that the 'pentium' is back all be it based on 'core' technology and its going to replace the celeron price range and from what i've seen its not a bad performer though 'only' 1meg of cache for a dual core does hurt it!

I did hear about the cray thing and from the pounding they have taken i think someone knows more than what has been let on.

I have been restrained over the last few days from people posting just how great the new low power amd chips are (2.1* GHz for 45W) as they make out these are 'select' chips that are able to operate at this low power, its a good thing they are cheap because you can get the mobile intel core 2 duo chips running at 2.4GHz for 36W! less power more speed! these are equaly 'select' chips.

Oh and Gizmo, if you can wait till the late july / august time frame, i'd pick up one of the newer series boards so that you are a) 45nm compatible and b) they overclock really well. Also around this time the Q6600 (2.4GHz, kentsfield) is due to almost half in price which will make it a very attractive buy!

Last edited by keithwalton; 7th June, 2007 at 02:35 AM.
Old 7th June, 2007, 04:17 PM

This is very disappointing, b/c I have been hoping for some months to build a Barcelona rig. Guess I'll wait or make the move to Intel.

Why doesn't Intel just get it over with and put AMD out of biz? Or is the slow torture route more fun? Oh wait - they can't do that b/c it would be "monopolizing".

We're pretty much already there, no?

Last edited by aztec61; 7th June, 2007 at 04:18 PM.
Old 7th June, 2007, 04:41 PM

AMD is struggling right now, they got caught with their pants down after spending most of their cash reserves acquiring ATI. Now they have no products that bring in the kind of cash needed to R&D so they will just have to stay afloat until they have something.

AMD had plenty of warning as to what was coming, anybody that has played with Dothans or Yonahs knew they were clock for clock as fast as A64's and that this architecture would be tweaked and optimised for the desktop. AMD had to realize this as well yet they did nothing about it. Poor management of resources and time has always been AMD's biggest issue.
Old 7th June, 2007, 05:21 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

They didnt need to acquire ATi. That's where the problems began. People were optimistic about it, i wasn't however. We should have guessed AMD would fall sooner or later.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Old 7th June, 2007, 05:32 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Actually, they DID need to aquire ATI, although not necessarily right then. If you look, however, their problems started well before they aquired ATI. Everything they were doing hinged on perfect execution of their game plan, which is a dangerous place to be.
Old 8th June, 2007, 01:57 AM
Member/Contributor

The problem all started when nvidia purchased ULI, as in the chipsets stake ati were pretty much reliant on uli for there southbridge, this got them worried and allowed amd to take them over. I dont think amd realised just how bad of a state ati was in at the time. They have since tried to put things right but have just made them worse in releasing products that are a)late b) under performing and so have to be 'value' parts, there is less profit in value and it allows c) the opposition time to mount a counter attack, by the time amd have an answer to the performance on intels/nvidia's current chips that intel/nvidia will have there next generation waiting in the wings to imediatly take the performance crown back and thus allow them to milk the high end for months more to come.

Out of interest i ran that benchmark on my cpu, i get a score of 581 and 39 seconds for single core, 1087 and 20 seconds for dual core.
So my dual 3.6GHz thrashes a Quad 1.6GHz not surprisingly!
Old 9th June, 2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Actually, they DID need to aquire ATI, although not necessarily right then. If you look, however, their problems started well before they aquired ATI. Everything they were doing hinged on perfect execution of their game plan, which is a dangerous place to be.
I agree 100%. They lost the performance crown a little too soon for that game plan to be perfectly executed. To adjust they should have taken over ATI only partly, maybe even just 10% and a cooperation contract. Then keep the buzz of "AMD buys ATI or not" going for a while longer, resulting in better stock values and using the cash they had left to refine their production. If that had resulted in better yields on Barcelona and its timely release they would have been back in the game. After that if they wanted they could have taken over the rest of ATI in the next year or so from now and probably cheaper too.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21
Old 9th June, 2007, 07:50 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I read that Intel may well enter the discrete graphics game in the not too distant future. If true, AMD did buy ATi for the "right" reasons. We are so screwed if the processor world totally belongs to Intel, remember ~~$600 top of the line Pentiums or maybe it was PII's?
Old 10th June, 2007, 07:49 AM
Steve Jobs

I remember over here, the PentiumPro 200 was $1600 (tray CPU), and the Pentium 233MMX when it was out cost $1200 (tray CPU). Shortly after that, the Pentium II 450Mhz was $1800 at launch (retail) while the AMD K6-2 300 was $350 in comparison.

Not altogether surprising that the choice I made was AMD back then, first with a K6, 266, then briefly a Cyrix M2-333, then an AMD K6-2 500, all on the same mobo. AMD saved me from intel's price gouging back then.

Then later on, when a Pentium 4 1.7Ghz Willy was still $600, my Duron 1300 cost $90, and absolutely shat on the pentium 4 despite the huge price disparity.

I've harped on about these before, but the AMD Athlon-X2 3600+ 65nm chips ive played with lately have been absolutely amazing. I've yet to see one that hasn't hit 3.0+Ghz on air. This is a 1.9Ghz stock chip. With decent air, and motherboard, 3.2Ghz is common, and under water without trying much it hit 3.4Ghz with the TT Kandalf LCS keeping it under 25C despite a buttload of voltage running through it.

If you were serious, and really tried hard with a good chip, a 100% overclock from a 3600+ brisbane would be possible with good water.

This is a $59 US dollar chip. AMD's disadvantage clock for clock aside, 3Ghz+ out of a dual core Athlon, worth $59 is absolutely brilliant, and beats the majority of the retail clocked Core 2s.

THIS is what got me into AMDs in the first place. Cheap, cheerful, and brilliantly fast, especially when overclocked. Screw your E6600 Conroes, this is where the real overclocking is at.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 10th June, 2007, 01:49 PM

What he said.

Thread Drift: Hey dsio, ever listen to the EarMax tube headphone amp on a decent set of cans? You should try it if you can find one.

Last edited by aztec61; 10th June, 2007 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10th June, 2007, 02:08 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I remember over here, the PentiumPro 200 was $1600 (tray CPU), and the Pentium 233MMX when it was out cost $1200 (tray CPU). Shortly after that, the Pentium II 450Mhz was $1800 at launch (retail) while the AMD K6-2 300 was $350 in comparison.

Not altogether surprising that the choice I made was AMD back then, first with a K6, 266, then briefly a Cyrix M2-333, then an AMD K6-2 500, all on the same mobo. AMD saved me from intel's price gouging back then.

Then later on, when a Pentium 4 1.7Ghz Willy was still $600, my Duron 1300 cost $90, and absolutely shat on the pentium 4 despite the huge price disparity.

I've harped on about these before, but the AMD Athlon-X2 3600+ 65nm chips ive played with lately have been absolutely amazing. I've yet to see one that hasn't hit 3.0+Ghz on air. This is a 1.9Ghz stock chip. With decent air, and motherboard, 3.2Ghz is common, and under water without trying much it hit 3.4Ghz with the TT Kandalf LCS keeping it under 25C despite a buttload of voltage running through it.

If you were serious, and really tried hard with a good chip, a 100% overclock from a 3600+ brisbane would be possible with good water.

This is a $59 US dollar chip. AMD's disadvantage clock for clock aside, 3Ghz+ out of a dual core Athlon, worth $59 is absolutely brilliant, and beats the majority of the retail clocked Core 2s.

THIS is what got me into AMDs in the first place. Cheap, cheerful, and brilliantly fast, especially when overclocked. Screw your E6600 Conroes, this is where the real overclocking is at.

I think I love you...

This is why I will not jump on the Intel band wagon. AMD has always been on top and has been cheaper. The true enthusiast CPU. Every machine in my house is AMD, and I am sure that it always will be. I still build them for everyone that I build a PC for. Like you said a $60 CPU is plenty fast with a little tweaking. So they can get an affordable machine and a great price. I built this last machine for just over 300 in parts. That was with a DVD rom and DVD burner, a card reader,a 3500, 160GB drive and so on.