AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th July, 2007, 01:49 AM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

AMD's Q2 Results

L'inq seem to have wind of AMD's Q2 results and despite the launch of the 2000's series graphics cards. The news is grim.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=41111

Revenue is up 13% from Q2'06 from $1.22Bill to $1.38Bill,
great news shame that they lost $600 million somehow! This time last year it made $88 million.
The news gets worse in the fact that they have dumped $30 million worth of chips that they just couldnt sell.
I do wonder what these chips were and hope that they weren't 939's (more likely 754 sepron's) Seems intel's conferance call was correct in that amd had a glut of chips clogging the supply chain.

Is it the aqusition of ATI thats hurting them so bad or do they have other issues. Will they survive as amd the vultures have certainly been circling with all the rescent buyout rumours. Would a new owner of amd split the company up back into cpu and gpu divisions.

Edit - From the horses mouth
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/V...118383,00.html

Last edited by keithwalton; 20th July, 2007 at 01:53 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th July, 2007, 04:23 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Maybe they dumped Flash RAM? I recall AMD saying something about disappointment in this area. But their low end procs may have been dead weight. I dunno if ATi's acquisition was foolish or not, but Nvidia's products got more popular at a bad time for AMD. Were I of the investor class, I'd have dumped AMD's stock last year.

AMD's latest CEO seems to be a bad choice, too.
Old 20th July, 2007, 06:13 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

You mean good ol' Hector? He's a great CEO! He'll tell you so himself! Not to mention there's LOTS of people at Motorola who will tell you he's a great AMD CEO (they just don't want him back at Motorola).

AMD managed to lose less money this quarter than they did last quarter. Hooray. At the rate they are improving things, they might actually return to profitability in, oh, 2010.

How a corporate management team can take a technology lead like AMD had in 2004, turn it into the absolute DISASTER that has been the last 2 quarters, and still have jobs is completely beyond my comprehension, particularly when one could see the freight-train of the last 2 quarters coming for at least a year beforehand.

I guess I just don't have what it takes to make it in big business.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st July, 2007, 12:35 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Here's the ARS Technica take on this FP

Missed this post Keith, sorry, but it's to much work to post front page to just take it down again, now isn't it! And I did link to your thread!":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic