AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th October, 2001, 04:01 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Phil

Quote:
Originally posted by AmbientFiction
Old Monty Python skit you know the one with the dead parrot
I afraid I'm not too well versed in the teachings of monty python, I should start going to sunday school I guesss

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th October, 2001, 04:21 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

didnt the old tbirds come locked??
but then they came unlocked??
Old 6th October, 2001, 06:49 AM

Send a message via ICQ to miketoolathlon Send a message via AIM to miketoolathlon

well i guess I wont get one of those- maby a athlom MP isnt locked?
Old 6th October, 2001, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wild_andy_c
The bridges are buried in the urea formaldehyde !!!! This is easy if you're a dremel master, but for the feint hearted this is a locked chip !!!!

I dug channels in mine and laid solder down into them using a flat ended iron - a very skilled job for a very skilled me !!!!
How deep Andy? .002

Can you see them when you get to the proper depth?
eVGA 6800 GT.
350 w Sparkle PS.

XFIRE= rottys
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th October, 2001, 12:17 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to TranceBear Send a message via AIM to TranceBear Send a message via Yahoo to TranceBear

Some people give up so easy, I have my 1800 unlocked with a rear window defogger paint kit and will post benchies late tommorow when I get to work. These are some awesome looking chips, I cannot wait.
Old 6th October, 2001, 01:22 PM

Great thread

Hey all,

Just wanted to let you know how I appreciate this info on this thread. I'm a little confussed how deep to go, and when you know when you get there. After all, I'd assume going right through the bridges would be a bad thing.

If anyone who has done this could post some pictures of the bridges that would be great.

Thanks all

Moohoo
Old 6th October, 2001, 01:55 PM

Send a message via MSN to Spode

Take the 100mhz AXIA. Boost to 133mhz and it's a 1333! perfect overclock!

I don't see why unlocking the multiplier is NECESSERY. It's nice, but not NECESSERY.

It won't put me off.
Old 6th October, 2001, 03:54 PM

sanding the dye

I tried washing an amd 1.4ghz cpu with normal dish soap and rubbing alcohol to get the artic silver II off tthe dye of the cpu, as directed at arctic silver's homepage. What this ended up doing is shaving the top of the dye a bit, and around the core the dye started turning bluish. There was still a bit of arctic silver around the resistors and caps, but not enough to short so I stopped. When I fired up the cpu at 1.4ghz, the bios temp was 80 degrees celcius! I had to take the clock down to 800mhz at 58 degrees celcius. Is this the same effect as sandpapering the dye to reach the bridges? If so, wouldnt it result the same as my experience?
Old 6th October, 2001, 05:56 PM

Send a message via ICQ to miketoolathlon Send a message via AIM to miketoolathlon

uh may I ask why you tool of the artic silverII and what heatsink fan u have.
Old 6th October, 2001, 07:50 PM

basically I didnt know what I was doing with the arctic silver II and brushed off the excess all over the ceramic. I am using a millenium glaciator active heatsink.
Old 6th October, 2001, 11:48 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Excellent thread, kudos! When I saw how tiny the L1, etc bridges were on my first AMD CPU, I couldn't believe it. I had diagrams saved up for months, but compared to the pics I drew, the real-deal is just too dang small.

My hat's off to anyone with the touch and eyeballs needed to mess with the bridges. This "burying" of the bridges on the new XP's adds a new level of horror. Guess my XP's will remain stock.

AS. Bruddah, after applying the stuff ~7 times, I finally know how much is needed. Once it gets on something, it's nearly impossible to remove it. Some of the delightfully exposed SMC components on the tops of AMD's processors were indeed connected by my first Arctic Silver application. They're now nearly disconnected--but if this was olde fashioned silver thermal paste, my Duron would be daid.

Well done, folks at Arctic Silver! I dunno how they made it electrically non-conductive, but it was a huge advancement for OCer's.
Old 6th October, 2001, 11:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

i am thinking about in 2 months they will unlock the bridges in factory
Old 7th October, 2001, 12:25 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Phil

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
Excellent thread, kudos! When I saw how tiny the L1, etc bridges were on my first AMD CPU, I couldn't believe it. I had diagrams saved up for months, but compared to the pics I drew, the real-deal is just too dang small.

My hat's off to anyone with the touch and eyeballs needed to mess with the bridges. This "burying" of the bridges on the new XP's adds a new level of horror. Guess my XP's will remain stock.

AS. Bruddah, after applying the stuff ~7 times, I finally know how much is needed. Once it gets on something, it's nearly impossible to remove it. Some of the delightfully exposed SMC components on the tops of AMD's processors were indeed connected by my first Arctic Silver application. They're now nearly disconnected--but if this was olde fashioned silver thermal paste, my Duron would be daid.

Well done, folks at Arctic Silver! I dunno how they made it electrically non-conductive, but it was a huge advancement for OCer's.
Well theres always the fsb, and I'm sure someone will come up with an adapter like the one for the tbird that lets you set any multiplyer you want.

As for AS being none electrically conductive, this is acheived by using micronised silver, I think what this does is breaks the bonds between the molecules so that they can no longer conduct to one another, of course this is partly what stops it have as good a thermal conductance of plain silver, but it means that in most cases it won't be electrically condictive, though in some cases it can be so you should still avoid shorting anything with it.

Old 7th October, 2001, 01:20 AM

uh some dude lowered his multiplyer to 11 and raised fsb to get 1.8ghz first try 1.95volts with vapochill case.
Old 7th October, 2001, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by miketoolathlon
uh some dude lowered his multiplyer to 11 and raised fsb to get 1.8ghz first try 1.95volts with vapochill case.
...yeah, saw his website, here's the link for anyone intersted, got pretty pictures although the first one might not be for children (background is skeptic, heh) Clickedy Click

To my understanding he was able to do the trick but it did not give him full control to change the multiplier but rather it forced it to 11 from 11.5... So my question is [for any1]...
What for certain will get it done? The conductive ink seems to fail for several people, now i don't know if it was due to their own fault or if it really isn't suppose to work.

I understand there's a little valley in between the ends of hte bridges but I don't see that as a big hassle, so I might be missing the point, can someone explain it to me? I'm guessing it has something to do with the real bridges that are on the bottom?

Nice to see everyone here again, I feel like a part of a big family, I already know 95% of the posters here from oc.com.
Cheers...
Old 7th October, 2001, 02:00 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by train22

...yeah, saw his website, here's the link for anyone intersted, got pretty pictures although the first one might not be for children (background is skeptic, heh) Clickedy Click

To my understanding he was able to do the trick but it did not give him full control to change the multiplier but rather it forced it to 11 from 11.5... So my question is [for any1]...
What for certain will get it done? The conductive ink seems to fail for several people, now i don't know if it was due to their own fault or if it really isn't suppose to work.

I understand there's a little valley in between the ends of hte bridges but I don't see that as a big hassle, so I might be missing the point, can someone explain it to me? I'm guessing it has something to do with the real bridges that are on the bottom?

Nice to see everyone here again, I feel like a part of a big family, I already know 95% of the posters here from oc.com.
Cheers...
This may offer some more information about the mult lock:
http://www.icronticforums.com/showth...threadid=14019

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 7th October, 2001, 02:07 AM

Can you guys fill me in on what a Rear Window Defogger repair kit is? Pics would do me lots of good...
Crucial 256MB PC2100 DDR-SDRAM
ATI All in Wonder 128 Pro (32mb)
IBM 60GB ULTRA ATA-100 DESKSTAR 7200RPM 60GXP
Antec SX840 /w 400w
SB Live! 5.1

Do you smell what the rock is cooking?
Are you sure it isn’t harder to kill 1 bird with 2 stones?
Old 7th October, 2001, 03:06 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Ploaf Send a message via AIM to Ploaf Send a message via Yahoo to Ploaf

Here's a link to a rear window defogger repair kit. Scroll down on the page a little. I think this is the one I bought. It worked anyway.

http://www.accessconnect.com/rearvie...r_adhesive.htm

The kit contains a conductive paint that is effective but kind of hard to work with.
Old 7th October, 2001, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ploaf
Here's a link to a rear window defogger repair kit. Scroll down on the page a little. I think this is the one I bought. It worked anyway.

http://www.accessconnect.com/rearvie...r_adhesive.htm

The kit contains a conductive paint that is effective but kind of hard to work with.
ok got it, thought it was somthing along those lines, they fill up the gaps, so that's the only prob huh? thought you'd have to do somthign to the bottom, how would a drenel help then?
Crucial 256MB PC2100 DDR-SDRAM
ATI All in Wonder 128 Pro (32mb)
IBM 60GB ULTRA ATA-100 DESKSTAR 7200RPM 60GXP
Antec SX840 /w 400w
SB Live! 5.1

Do you smell what the rock is cooking?
Are you sure it isn’t harder to kill 1 bird with 2 stones?
Old 7th October, 2001, 08:04 PM

uh if u can only lower the multplyer to 11 dont even try to unluvk untill can lower it to like 8 or 9..guess amd copied intel with locking