AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th October, 2001, 01:08 AM

AS2

WD40 clean artic silver off very well and I have experienced no side effects from it on the T birds. I haven't used it yet on the new material.
Old 8th October, 2001, 01:14 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Phil

My preferred method of cleaning AS off is Nail Polish remover, on the site they say that even if you use that you should finish off with isopropyl alchohol as well but I've not had any problems just using acetone (nail polish remover)
On their site they say not to use oil or petroleum based products and list WD-40 because it apparantly leaves a residue which doesn't evaporate.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th October, 2001, 06:51 PM

Just got my XP 1800+

I'm applying rear-defroster repair-kit goop to the L1 bridges right now, I'll post back with results tonight
Old 11th October, 2001, 07:23 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
Originally posted by Neptune5k
Just got my XP 1800+

I'm applying rear-defroster repair-kit goop to the L1 bridges right now, I'll post back with results tonight
Careful with that pony, and sing to it, wouldn't want you to end up with a very expensive key chain . . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th October, 2001, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wild_andy_c
But since no one else supplies chips that are unlocked and the fact that if done carefully these can be unlocked still has it in the favour of AMD.

Intels are completely unlockable. AMD's are unlockable with just a little more care.

Jeff's tip of sandpaper and pencil also works - I've just done it on the voltage bridges.
Andy, What type of sandpaper did you use? (600,400,100,ect...)
Old 12th October, 2001, 04:01 AM

Just a little update on my unlocking attempt:

Didn't go as well as planned, I was able to get a 10.5 and 9.5 multiplier, but no others... just the stock (11.5) and these two new ones.

I'm reapplying as I post this
Old 12th October, 2001, 08:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to killem1x1

I picked up my 1800+ today, and just wanted to ask if anyone is familiar with these markings:
AX1800MT3C
AGKGA 0137XPAW
F411063002
Old 12th October, 2001, 10:36 PM

Here's an Update:

I finally have all of the multipliers now!

Here's how you unlock the Athlon XP (or at least one way to do it )

You will need: Window Defogger Repair Kit, Scotch tape, Toothpicks, and patience.

Goto your local auto store like Hires or napa or something and pick up a Rear Window Defogger Repair Kit. It's basically a little one inch jar of brown stuff with a brush. I picked up the Loctite brand.

Get out your XP and clean the area around the L1 bridges with rubbing alcohol and dry it really well.

Now tape off one of the L1 bridges with the scotch tape. One strip on each side of the bridge, and one at the top (inside, towards the core)
With the bridge taped off, use a toothpick to dab a little of the defrogger goo across the L1 Bridge. Now put some tape on your finger (smooth side out ) and push the goo down into the trench and onto the L1 connection points. I used a rolling/smearing motion. You want to kind of smear the stuff of the tape so that it stays, for the most part, in the area you've taped off. Otherwise, when you peel the tape off, you'll peel some of the goo off too and weaken/ruin the connection.

Let it dry a little, then repeat this process about 5 or so times. When it looks like you've got a nice solid line, let it dry for a couple minutes, then slowly and carefully remove the tape.
If the tape starts to pull up on the strip of brown goo, you;ll probably have to do that Bridge again.

Repeat the previous steps for the other four bridges and you should be in Multiplier bliss!
Old 12th October, 2001, 11:58 PM

Send a message via ICQ to miketoolathlon Send a message via AIM to miketoolathlon

too bad them chips are 250 damn u amd!
amd better lower Xp prices when intel does to make prices around 1.4t-bird or ill get mad and stuff.
Old 20th October, 2001, 06:21 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to CNUCompGuy Send a message via AIM to CNUCompGuy Send a message via Yahoo to CNUCompGuy

80C!!!! Holy Crap....How the hell did u manage to get it that hot....my CPU runs far below 30C. I don't think you did the Arctic Silver right....because ur CPU is way too hot....either that or your Heatsink and fan are either not on straight or they just suck. Either way, you need to check that before you fry your CPU and possible you Socket!
Old 23rd October, 2001, 03:08 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to CNUCompGuy Send a message via AIM to CNUCompGuy Send a message via Yahoo to CNUCompGuy

Quick question....what can u do--when it comes to overclocking--with out unlocking the chip....it anything. I'm pretty sure you can adjust the FSB, but is that it?? Thanks!!
Old 23rd October, 2001, 12:58 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Yup. Without unlocking the multiplier, you've got fsb adjustment only. Though as Spode said earlier, that still allows for some pretty reasonable overclocks.
Old 23rd October, 2001, 04:48 PM
Banned

Talking

That's what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation!!
Old 23rd October, 2001, 04:56 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Quote:
Originally posted by miketoolathlon
too bad them chips are 250 damn u amd!
amd better lower Xp prices when intel does to make prices around 1.4t-bird or ill get mad and stuff.
Is that right that your name is tool? Apparently my second name is to do with my characteristics too. I'm a wheel maker though.
Old 25th October, 2001, 05:33 AM
EPoX Tech

Please see herewith unlocked XP1800+ - unlocked with superglue and conductive paint to give 9.5,10,11,11.5,12 & 12.5 x multipliers.
Attached Thumbnails
Palominos locked pencil trick wont work.-cpuid160.gif  
Old 25th October, 2001, 05:39 AM
EPoX Tech

And also the MBM 5.09 dashboard to show voltage mod performed on 8KHA (please forgive the 5v rail measurement - I'm testing a small HEC PSU which although very stable has a low 5v rail)
Attached Thumbnails
Palominos locked pencil trick wont work.-dash160.gif  
Old 25th October, 2001, 05:51 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
Originally posted by EPoX Tech
please forgive the 5v rail measurement - I'm testing a small HEC PSU which although very stable has a low 5v rail
Mines worse!

Note that both negatives are possitive! And also note that my EP-8KHA+ offers up 1.9v even at a 1.85v setting in the BIOS, most cool. Got to get that Vcore hack done soon.

Most amazing thing is that I am currently managing 157FSB with this weak suck PSU!

I've been leaving the window open in my PC room to help keep this POS PSU from going up in smoke, keep this up and it's toast for sure. Good thing I've got a new PSU on the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Palominos locked pencil trick wont work.-mbm5.gif  

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 25th October, 2001 at 05:53 AM.
Old 31st October, 2001, 02:14 PM

Send a message via ICQ to overlag

first post here and i hope this link isnt against rules but here goes

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...threadid=71103

in this thread Mpemba filled the pits with something no conductive and painted over the top with defogger kit.

You dont want conductive stuff in the pits or it will lock the chip at 11 or fry it. There is no need for sanding bridges.

on my motherboard that doesnt realy support XP's ive got 10.5, 11, 12, and 12.5 working ok with this idea but ive never unlocked a Tbird.
Old 31st October, 2001, 07:41 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
Mines worse!

Note that both negatives are possitive! And also note that my EP-8KHA+ offers up 1.9v even at a 1.85v setting in the BIOS, most cool. Got to get that Vcore hack done soon.

Most amazing thing is that I am currently managing 157FSB with this weak suck PSU!

I've been leaving the window open in my PC room to help keep this POS PSU from going up in smoke, keep this up and it's toast for sure. Good thing I've got a new PSU on the way.
I'm not an expert, but there's a patch for MBM5.09 that may fix the bugs you see, if you haven't already used it. Also, the beta is out.... 5.10, which I am using. It shows CPU usage, which would be cool if any of my machines weren't already pegged at 100%...

SteveI.
Old 1st November, 2001, 12:15 AM

Send a message via ICQ to proze

hehehe. yep, cpu usage monitors are useless to me! running seti 24/7, so i already know what my cpu usage is!

Duron 600@1102 (105*10.5), Asus A7V, 256MB generic RAM at 140mhz 2-2-2, MTS Glaciator II, Creative GF Pro, Awesome no-name 300W PSU.