AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th October, 2001, 02:15 PM

Palominos locked pencil trick wont work.

Take a look at these pictures. There are laser trences in-between the bridges. Probably have to going to use conductive ink if Amd leaves them like that.

Last edited by Hugo 59; 5th October, 2001 at 07:01 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th October, 2001, 02:46 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

The bridges are buried in the urea formaldehyde !!!! This is easy if you're a dremel master, but for the feint hearted this is a locked chip !!!!

I dug channels in mine and laid solder down into them using a flat ended iron - a very skilled job for a very skilled me !!!!
Old 5th October, 2001, 03:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

I bet with some fine sand paper and a lot of time you could expose the bridges and use a regular old coductive pen to get 'em connected.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th October, 2001, 03:27 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
I bet with some fine sand paper and a lot of time you could expose the bridges and use a regular old coductive pen to get 'em connected.
You know phenol formaldehyde and melamine formaldehyde - otherwise known as bacolite - that's what this stuff is like but lots harder !!!!

The small cutting wheel on a dremel is ideal to just scrape 5 channels and then flux the holes up and melt 5 blobs of solder in. Once the chip is unlocked, smear epoxy on top to keep the solder in place.

Volia - Athlon XP unlocked. 10 minute job. No frills, no fancy work, no risk. Just straight forward bodging !!!
Old 5th October, 2001, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wild_andy_c

You know phenol formaldehyde and melamine formaldehyde - otherwise known as bacolite - that's what this stuff is like but lots harder !!!!

The small cutting wheel on a dremel is ideal to just scrape 5 channels and then flux the holes up and melt 5 blobs of solder in. Once the chip is unlocked, smear epoxy on top to keep the solder in place.

Volia - Athlon XP unlocked. 10 minute job. No frills, no fancy work, no risk. Just straight forward bodging !!!
But my dremel is too big an powerful. It's a pnumatic die grinder, and it spins a 3 inch fiber wheel at 10,000RPMs. Looks like I'd have to go buy one of those lil' electric dremels, or maybe some dental tools, if I ever get a pally.

AOA Team fah
Old 5th October, 2001, 03:51 PM

This is going to cause AMD to lose cash the thing they had going for them was the overclockers market but I can see this as a dumb move for AMD.

AMD XP 1700+ @ 1639mhz (Bad vid card can't hold high FSB)
Epox 8hka+
Aska Silver Mtn 40ºC full load folding 24/7
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
GF2MX400 w/ updated bios modded with 23cfm fan and AS2 under the heatsink on the GPU
Old 5th October, 2001, 03:56 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

But since no one else supplies chips that are unlocked and the fact that if done carefully these can be unlocked still has it in the favour of AMD.

Intels are completely unlockable. AMD's are unlockable with just a little more care.

Jeff's tip of sandpaper and pencil also works - I've just done it on the voltage bridges.
Old 5th October, 2001, 03:59 PM

Yes but why in the hell are the locking them in the first place. Its BS they had a good product and now their making it better but not allowing you to have the same amount of fun with the same amount of ease

Epox 8hka+
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
GF2MX400 w/ updated bios modded with 23cfm fan and AS2 under the heatsink on the GPU
Old 5th October, 2001, 04:09 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

I can understand from my past experience in the Plastics industry the reasons for embedding the tracks under the surface - this allows the mould cavity closure to be more complete - thus creating a better surface finish on the top of the chip.

Whilst covering the tracks this also protects the chips from the problems experienced by many people before - many people had silicon or AS on top of the chips crossing bridges causing damage - that effect is now eleviated. Hence this is a good move from AMD - the pitfalls of designing a chip based on a thermoset are the advantages to the average end user who gets a little messy with thermal compounds.

Although this is not the ideal situation for the overclocker, you have to realise that we are the minority and the general silicon spreading bridge shorting public are the majority.

It isn't very often that I express myself in so many words, however it is at this point on this Friday afternoon that I can announce that someone has gotten my back up.
Old 5th October, 2001, 04:16 PM

Hay Andy I agree with you that we as overclockers are not amd's first concern and see where they are coming from.

By the way how much sanding did you have to do to expose the bridges?

Last edited by Hugo 59; 5th October, 2001 at 04:36 PM.
Old 5th October, 2001, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Jeff's tip of sandpaper and pencil also works - I've just done it on the voltage bridges.
In the words of Boris, The russian computer hacker from that one 007 movie(you know the one, too bad I forgot), "Yes! I am invincible!"

AOA Team fah
Old 5th October, 2001, 04:50 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Quote:
Originally posted by Hugo 59
Hay Andy I agree with you that we as overclockers are not amd's first concern and see where they are coming from.

By the way how much sanding did you have to do to expose the bridges?
Enough to make my fingers sore !!! And enough to scare most !!!
Old 5th October, 2001, 05:10 PM

Quote:

Enough to make my fingers sore !!! And enough to scare most !!!
The price you pay for OC. But it's easier with the dremel, right?

And what got you so excited, Andy? Do your fingers hurt from all that typing, too?
Old 5th October, 2001, 05:42 PM

Just wondering Andy, but do you and Hugo visit the same barber by chance?

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 5th October, 2001 at 08:41 PM.
Old 5th October, 2001, 06:39 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

hey guys, how deep into the thing are the bridges? as if i get one i dont wanna accidently grind em away entirely! also is the surface of the Chip like an intel one now? if you get a bit messy with thermal compound it wipes off easy? or still like the old ceramic AMD ones.... nasty stains etc
Old 5th October, 2001, 11:49 PM

Quote:
I can understand from my past experience in the Plastics industry the reasons for embedding the tracks under the surface - this allows the mould cavity closure to be more complete - thus creating a better surface finish on the top of the chip.

Whilst covering the tracks this also protects the chips from the problems experienced by many people before - many people had silicon or AS on top of the chips crossing bridges causing damage - that effect is now eleviated. Hence this is a good move from AMD - the pitfalls of designing a chip based on a thermoset are the advantages to the average end user who gets a little messy with thermal compounds.

Although this is not the ideal situation for the overclocker, you have to realise that we are the minority and the general silicon spreading bridge shorting public are the majority.

It isn't very often that I express myself in so many words, however it is at this point on this Friday afternoon that I can announce that someone has gotten my back up.
I see where your coming from andy and I am sorry if I am the one that made you mad. Thank you for the lesson in the new CPU

Epox 8hka+
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
Old 6th October, 2001, 03:28 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Phil

The reason amd locked them in the first place was so novice users wouldn't fry their chips or overclock them unstabally and have problems whilest still keeping the market open to the more advanced user.
And I think the reason they have embedded them is so that you can't unlock them without voiding the warranty, as I wonder how many people messed up with their cpu's and simply used a rubber to get rid of the pencil marks, the way they've done it now you can still unlock them but you can hardly just undo what you've done in the event something goes wrong.

Old 6th October, 2001, 03:42 AM

The palindrome for Bolton is Notlob

Epox 8hka+
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
Old 6th October, 2001, 03:45 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Phil

Quote:
Originally posted by AmbientFiction
The palindrome for Bolton is Notlob
I can't argue with that, any reason for it though?????

Old 6th October, 2001, 03:52 AM

Old Monty Python skit you know the one with the dead parrot

Epox 8hka+
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
60gb Seagate 7200rpm