AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th July, 2007, 05:52 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

AMD Reveals Phenom Model Numbers

Written by Daniel
Monday, 30 July 2007
AMD Reveals Phenom Model Numbers
Anh Huynh (Blog) - July 28, 2007 12:19 AM
Daily Tech
AMD plans to launch two Phenom X4 and three X2 models within the next three quarters... Front Page
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th July, 2007, 07:29 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Hoo boy, AMD might be a dollar late and a day short with these new CPU's. Intel probably has something up its sleeve that will make these AMD efforts pale in comparison. I hope that "AMD we hardly knew ye" doesn't become a swan song.
Old 30th July, 2007, 07:55 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Let's see.......AMD demonstrated a 3.0 GHz CPU, yet none of the CPUs on the road map clock better than 2.8 GHz, and there's the possibility the best one in the group MIGHT only clock at 2.4 GHz.

Can we say 'cherry-picked sample' and 'smoke and mirrors'?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th July, 2007, 08:29 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

In hardware, you "mostly" have to bring it with you when you come....AMD is always arriving late these days...Here's hoping they can manage a new dawn down the line..
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 30th July, 2007, 08:45 PM

89 Watt thermal for a quad core though?

thats sexy imo
Old 30th July, 2007, 08:49 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Everything is relative...to Intel...
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 31st July, 2007, 01:30 AM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

Intel are already at 95w with the new stepping Q6600 and Q6700's which are upto 2.67GHz ...

gizmo's thought do echo those that i've had recently and have posted elsewhere about that amd demo, it just doesnt smell right after all you usually show of the speed your going to launch at or there abouts, not one you might produce in some quantity in a years time.

what was the point of it ? other than a 'we can do 3GHz too'
as they way its done only using the windows performance index (which its off the top of the scale, which can be achieved with a dual core at around 3.6GHz which means a quad only really needs to run at 1.8GHz+ to get a '5.9'

The pic i've seen is also rather dubious in that the 'benchmark' and demo pc are not in the same picture ever, was it really air cooled ?
And was it really a Quad core at 3GHz ? all it said was amd engineering sample.

I know im very skeptical but a cpu-z shot would of been much more convincing!

As you could quite easily fake what they have done...

Run the benchmark with a quad core at 2GHz and score the max of 5.9, swap out chip for a 3GHz one (either dual core, or an unstable quad core chip) take picture with digi cam and leak all over the web.

Why do i think this ? one critical thing is missing from the pic.

In all the versions of the pics i've seen the bit where vista says 'This pc is : rated' ... is missing, if you change hardware / overclocks after you have run the benchmark it will say unrated.

I do wonder why we only see part of the application!

And yes intel have 3.33GHz 45nm built chips waiting in the wings, they just dont need to release the product yet and erode there healthy profit margins.

AMD are most certainly late to the party these days and they keep forgetting to bring the most attractive women along as well.
Old 31st July, 2007, 03:42 AM
Steve Jobs

Its interesting, have to say that. On the one hand, if it is just a hand picked hero chip overclocked to hell with little chance of real production capability, then it doesn't help them much, and there was little point in the dog and pony show.

On the other hand, if it is something that they can actually produce in volume, then showing it off here, could give possible buyers time to pause before buying a kentsfield, buying some time for AMD to get chips to consumers.

From my point of view, that of an overclocker with a watercooling rig, if its possible for AMD to get a chip running at 3Ghz on air, even if it was a good chip, then if I can get a low end chip ~2Ghz-2.4Ghz that will hit 3-3.4Ghz on water, for good value, I'll buy it.

To me, I really don't care if the launch chips are clocked low, I'll buy low anyway, just as I did with all of the X2 3600+s that have gone through my hands. This gives me hope that OC potential could be high, and if the initial chips are underperformers, they will likely be priced as such in order for AMD to compete.

Undervalued chips with high overclocking potential under water is a dream come true for many of us. Once again, assuming that the disparity between high end and low end chips isn't huge.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 31st July, 2007, 03:56 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Yeah, but Dsio, look at the roadmap: they don't even know for sure what the final clock speeds are! The top end chip has a target speed of 2.4-2.8 GHz!

In other words, right now they aren't even sure they can hit better than 2.4 GHz, but they want us to believe that they will be able to produce chips that will hit 3.0 GHz ON AIR!

Alright, to be fair, I'm sure they WILL get 3 GHz chips out EVENTUALLY, but when their existing roadmap indicates that the best they KNOW they can do today is 2.4 GHz, that doesn't exactly make me feel warm and fuzzy that they are going to hit 3 GHz any time soon. Unless that chip has an absolutely PHENOMENAL IPC, it's gonna have a hard time keeping up with Penryn when it's only runnint at 2.4 GHz. It's gonna be tough enough at 3.0 GHz.
Old 31st July, 2007, 12:01 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

It would appear that l'inq have responded to the dailytech version of this article, anandtech who were also apparently present and came up with some very similar pictures has yet to respond.

We do know that amd were taking a gamble on the most recent stepping being good enough to launch with who knows the gamble might pay off.

There was talk that the original chips just hit a wall in performance and no matter how you cooled it you couldnt really go any faster.

I still suspect there is somthing 'non standard' about this chip.

Fair enough that they weren't allowed to properly benchmark it but as i said before a cpu-z shot would of been nice.
Old 31st July, 2007, 03:26 PM
Steve Jobs

The Inq article is definately worth a read: http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=41342
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 31st July, 2007, 04:02 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Yes, it was!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 31st July, 2007, 06:49 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

It looks like all was revealed, except that benchmarks weren't permitted. Gawd I hope AMD has a winner up their sleeve, we need one. Not to mention that they do too.
Old 31st July, 2007, 09:22 PM
Member/Contributor

I want a cheap 3.33GHz+ stock yorkfield chip that overclocks easily past 4GHz, for that I need amd
Old 31st July, 2007, 09:24 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Hope springs Eternal from the hearts of men.":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur