AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th September, 2007, 05:26 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Barcelona Revealed!

Techware Labs put the new AMD Server CPU through its paces and give us some interesting results:

Tthe new Barcelona reduces the amount of L2 cache by half of its older sibling but it adds 2MB of shared L3 cache and a 2nd FPU. As we have seen in almost all past benchmarks and real life tests, cache is extremely important to the overall computing power of a CPU. We will see if the addition of the L3 makes a big difference in the Barcelona.

Read more on the Front Page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/3120/2/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th September, 2007, 07:52 AM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

I did see an early glimpse of barca' on anandtech last night and i was very concerned over there benchmark results.

Yes they had quite a suite of results but they seemed to cherry pick the oposition for the barca' cpu. Sometimes it would be up against a 2GHz xeon, another a 2.33GHz one, rarely did it ever face the 2.66GHz part and i dont remember seeing the 2.93GHz one.

Also when they did the 8/16 core test (dual/quad, quad cores) they put it up against a pair of netburst based chips, despite 'core' based chips being avaliable
Old 11th September, 2007, 04:14 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Well, given that the fastest chip is only 2.0 GHz, it wouldn't be unreasonable to compare it against other 2.0 GHz chips, or maybe even 2.3 GHz chips. The only reason you would compare to 2.66 GHz or 2.93 GHz chips would be if the performance of the chip were so stellar that it could hold its own against chips running a 50% faster clock speed (and we know that isn't going to happen).
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th September, 2007, 04:21 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Did not show much. It seems clock for clock to hold it's own. I will be curious to see what a little maturing time brings to the table.
Old 11th September, 2007, 04:38 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Clock-for-clock, on average, I'd say Barcelona and Penrynn are about equal. Problem is, Penrynn has a HUGE clock-speed advantage. It isn't unreasonable to expect AMD to get Barcelona up to the 3.2 GHz range EVENTUALLY, but Intel can build 3.2 GHz Penrynns TODAY.
Old 11th September, 2007, 05:07 PM

That about sums it up. Barcelona's TDP will probably be an aching point as well when compared to Intels lineup, certainly at 65nm vs 45nm.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21
Old 11th September, 2007, 10:13 PM

I'm glad their continuing to name their CPUs after beautiful European Cities.

When will we see AMD Brighton?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 11th September, 2007, 10:48 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

In my opinion it would be nice to see where it fits in the full avaliable picture and not just its nearest neighbours in that particular benchmark.

If they had made a selection of chips that should be similar (say the 2.33 clovertown etc) and then stuck with that it would of been fine but they didnt, each benchmark had a different set of intel chips against it
I might be being skeptical but it seemed the benchmarks which would show the 'cores' advantage, they werent there
Old 12th September, 2007, 01:31 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I am as well. I hole this is not a trick to make it look good out of the gate.
They can not afford to make any more mistakes at this point.