AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st September, 2007, 04:39 AM

AMD 3700+ Temps...

Hey all,

I debated putting this thread in the cooling section, but no one was viewing there.

I have an ASROCK Dual Sata mobo with an AMD 3700+ scorching along inside. Basically, my CPU temps seem really high for idle, 47C but at load they jump to almost 70C. I have tried a new Heatsink, I thought maybe I didn't apply the thermal properly so I pulled it and redid that, I dropped it by an amazing 1 degree!!!

This CPU shouldn't be that hot should it? Just some extra info for clarification, my unit is positioned under my central air vent so shouldn't be any hot air issues. I have recently added an extra 3 case fans with a controller unit so I can control the fan speeds. One fan blasting straight down onto CPU from side vent. Two 80mm rear exhaust fans with a 120mm PSU fan. I even added a fan to my video card as another rear exhaust. No matter what I do it seems this CPU is destined to boil!

I haven't OC'd it any, but I would like to, but with those temps stock...yeesh. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks, Matt
Attached Thumbnails
AMD 3700+ Temps...-cputemp.jpg  
Old 21st September, 2007, 05:41 AM

Download coretemp and see if the temp reading is the same as the motherboard reading. Coretemp takes it reading from the CPU so it will give us a second reading to compare..
What temp does it show under PC Health in the bios?

http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com...p/CoreTemp.zip
Old 21st September, 2007, 07:19 AM

I used to have a 3700+ oc @2.65 with a Freezer 64 Pro and never reach 70c. That's an unacceptable temp for that cpu (in fact any temp over 60 is a 'too close for comfort temp'). Like ccperf721p a think you are getting a wrong reading. Your mobo temps should be, some how, closer to the cpu temp. At least that's my experience. Do you use AS5? What kind of HS&F you are using?

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st September, 2007, 09:30 PM

Hello again,

I'm at school so I won't be able to check my temps until I get home later this evening. As far as heatsink I'm using a Cooler Master, but I forget the model number, it was rated for a 4000+. The thermal I am using also came from Cooler Master, just a standard compound. But, even under stock conditions this proc runs really hot. Adding this new HS dropped temps by only 5C's so something else must be causing the heat build-up.

I didn't pay attention to temps when I purchased the unit because it was plenty fast, now I want to squeeze some extra performance out of it but thermal is a big deal in OC'ing.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 22nd September, 2007, 01:27 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

How's your case ventilation?
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd September, 2007, 04:02 AM

Ok, so I downloaded Core Temp and I'm still getting the same results. See picture below. My BIOS is reading slightly cooler, but the system hadn't really been running. I booted after several hours of downtime let it sit there and watched it heat up to 42C.

Case ventilation is very good. I have all my cables housed under my optical drives save for the mainboard power cable which plugs in just under the PSU. So I don't think I'm getting excess heat buildup around the CPU anyways. Three exhaust fans out the rear.

One question I do have. I have Cool n' Quiet enabled, but I plugged my CPU cooler into my fan controller. That wouldn't freak things out missing the connection would it?

I really can't understand why this thing has such a bad fever!!!

Whoa...just noticed, why is Core Temp advertising my proc as Toledo? It's most definitely a Sandy! Weird.

Thanks,
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
AMD 3700+ Temps...-cputemp2.jpg  
Old 22nd September, 2007, 08:54 AM

Put everything at default values and see what happens (of course default does not include coll and quiet)

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah
Old 23rd September, 2007, 01:52 AM

Same results setting BIOS to default, although it seems like the temperatures shift more wildly now. It dropped once down to 43C (lowest I've seen) then bumped up to 48C just sitting at idle. Would a picture of my internal setup help at all? I've exhausted all my knowledge, about the only thing I can think of is, I think I purchased this proc "open box" at NewEgg a year and a half ago, maybe this is why it was returned?

Matt
Old 23rd September, 2007, 04:04 AM

It's possible it was returned for that reason. It's also possible someone reattached the IHS at some point.
Old 23rd September, 2007, 06:46 AM

IHS???
Something to do with heatsink? Not that it matters. Would AMD back it at all, anyone know?

Matt
Old 23rd September, 2007, 09:59 AM
OcBible Creator

What's the ambient temperature there?
It plays a significant role also.
Have you put a thermal compound (Artic Silver)???
Is your heatsink fixed well???
How many fans in your case?
You must improve air flow inside of case.
Download Guidemania for more tips.
Old 24th September, 2007, 04:24 AM

Ambient Temperature? Room Temperature is 72F, outside temps today were in the mid 60's (rainy), Idle on the CPU is between 43 and 48C's load between 62 and 68C's.

Case Setup:

Two Rear exhaust 80mm Case Fans attached to a fan controller.

One 80mm Side fan blowing cool air down on CPU attached to controller (not shown).

CPU - Cooler Master Heatsink rated to 4000+ and 80mm fan also connected to fan controller. Used Cooler Master compound.

Video - Added a fan and heatsink which gives another rear exhaust.

120mm Fan blowing down from PSU.

As I reported above I thought the heatsink might not have been seated properly so I redid it grease and all eliminating that as a suspect.

One thing to note, this appears to be a CPU issue only. I checked my motherboard temps in the BIOS and they are running around 32C's. CPU still showed 48C's in BIOS at the same time.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
AMD 3700+ Temps...-210428.jpg  
Old 24th September, 2007, 05:49 AM

Ok, so I decided to try some OCing to see if temps changed. So far everything looks good. I was able to jump up to 2.5Ghz stable on my current setup and temps stayed exactly the same. So I see one of two things going on here, either I have a bad sensor, or my sensor isn't sending the proper info. For example, take a look at what n-tune sees my system is running at (not too bad I guess!).

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
AMD 3700+ Temps...-crazy-.jpg  
Old 2nd October, 2007, 11:53 AM
OcBible Creator

Usually 3700+ CPUs achieve 2.7GHz (or more).
Old 3rd October, 2007, 02:52 AM

Yea I know, I made it up to 2.5Ghz stable, much past that and the temps did start to increase past a comfortable threshold. But, 60C's isn't very comfortable though. It's within the higher end of "operating temps" of the proc, but I sure don't like it.

I think I'll give the reseating of the heatsink another shot and cross my fingers.

Matt
Old 3rd October, 2007, 04:46 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA, eggdashure!
Let us know if your processor temperature improves. Or if it doesn't.
Old 13th October, 2007, 11:47 PM

Hey all,

I've been researching a bit...one site I found said to (carefully) touch the heatsink and if it is !YOUCH!! hot, then the thermals are obviously moving from the CPU to the HS. I touched mine, barely warm to the touch. So...I have tried for a third time to reapply the grease and still nothing. More research into a term "heatsink lapping" and I am beginning to think that this may be my problem. Basically, if the heatsink isn't perfectly flat, it creates a concave or basically, a non-flat surface. Thus allowing small, but noticeable gaps in the space between the heatsink and processor. Gaps create a place for heat to become trapped and drive up the temps. So my next move is to try my old HS and see if my results change at all.

Matt
Old 17th October, 2007, 08:48 AM
OcBible Creator

Nice.
BTW have you run a stability program for the CPU (Prime95, OCCT, SuperPi 32M)?????/