AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th April, 2002, 08:41 PM
.:N2:.

Talking happy me!

i have a new box in the works now, just finished the ordering yesterday.
specs as follows:

XP1600+
ECS K7VTA3 Via KT266a chipset.
512Mb Nanya PC2100 CAS2 DDR
MSI Nvidia GeForce 3 Ti200 128Mb DDR
dual 400wt PSU's
Thermalright AX7 hsk w/ Delta 60mm 50.15CFM fan
270Gb 7200rpm's of real estate in total.
connected via rounded, shielded clear/silver cables.

i expect 9000 marks in MadOnion's 3DMark2001 easily.
i'll probably switch the ECS mobo for an Iwill 333+ in a month or so.

compared to current;

specs for my rig are:
a Duron 800 and a GeForce 2 MX 32Mb SDR..
Nanya SDRAM 512Mb PC133@133mhz CAS2
on a ECS K7VZA mobo (KT133a)
i have about 2500 marks right now at stock settings

so i think i'll see a big visual difference between the two.
the Duron will go on a Iwill KK266 mobo...
to be O/C'd to 1200-1400Mhz i suspect :devil:

i have a feeling i'll be sticking with Win9X tho, based on the results i see of others running WinXP. does'nt look to me like i wanna "XPerience it!"

and in any case,
i think it'll be a nice lil' rig for my Counterstrike addiction.
:-D
Old 5th April, 2002, 09:41 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

i'd make a guess at 7500 3dmarks, i couldnt hit 9k with my Radeon 8500 and XP 1800 @ 1700 mhz

i was getting about 8600

got about 7000 on the GF3 ti200 i borrowed

i guess nvidia may have better drivers now! anyway good luck, and if at first you dont succeed, overclock it!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."

Last edited by Random Nonsense; 5th April, 2002 at 09:44 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th April, 2002, 09:57 PM
Banned

Re: happy me!

Quote:
Originally posted by .:N2:.

i have a feeling i'll be sticking with Win9X tho, based on the results i see of others running WinXP. does'nt look to me like i wanna "XPerience it!"
Other than this comment, I think it sounds great.

I was using XP since day 1 and even beta before that, and do not understand your statement... it's the best OS micro$oft has released to date?!,....
Old 6th April, 2002, 01:20 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

And you don't even have to ask Bill to spy on you, it's a "Feature"!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th April, 2002, 02:48 PM
.:N2:.

well, my statement is pretty easy to explain...

#1 in 3Dmark 2001.. in my current config, i do much better comparing my WinME to systems running WinXP
therefore, that bit is too obvious.

#2 gamers reporting FPS issues with XP, probly explains the above.

#3 i have WinME tweaked to near perfection, and nary a BSOD in sight. uptime of 1 month is irellevent to me, as i shut down every night.

so i ask you, why trade a perfected OS, for new bugs?

especially since the benches that matter to me,
say i'm currently better off anyhow?

further, incompatibilities in a large amt. of programs, and all the spyware *features* just add icing to my cake

i think it's great you guys like it...
but it also probably explains your 3Dmark scores.
Old 7th April, 2002, 02:29 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nate-X Send a message via AIM to Nate-X

Gah.. I have a copy of XP.. waiting on my main harddrive to get to me so was playing around.. found my logitech mouse wasn't supported.. and neither was my nero cdr software /cry... I take it the logitech mice will work perfectly except for the scroll bar feature or is there a way to fix it? or do i have to buy a new damn mouse?
Old 7th April, 2002, 02:35 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by Nate-X
Gah.. I have a copy of XP.. waiting on my main harddrive to get to me so was playing around.. found my logitech mouse wasn't supported.. and neither was my nero cdr software /cry... I take it the logitech mice will work perfectly except for the scroll bar feature or is there a way to fix it? or do i have to buy a new damn mouse?
I'm using a Logitech perfectly. Try going to the windows update site and downloading the driver update found there.

As for Nero, version 5.0 and greater is compatible with Windows XP.

EDIT: After reading this whole thread, I just want to say that I'm getting scores equal to or greater than I was getting in Windows 98SE, and stability is on-par with Windows 2000 Pro. Best of both worlds in my opinion. But who cares, to each his own I guess

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 7th April, 2002, 02:38 AM

That's weird I had a full version of 5.005.... something something something and still said it wasn't compatible =/ Glad the mouse works with it though.. I also have an external parallel rockwell chipset modem.. Does XP have any troubles with those =/
Old 7th April, 2002, 02:48 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by Nate-X
That's weird I had a full version of 5.005.... something something something and still said it wasn't compatible =/ Glad the mouse works with it though.. I also have an external parallel rockwell chipset modem.. Does XP have any troubles with those =/
I'm sorry, Nero 5.0 is NOT compatible.

But all users of 5.0 get a FREE upgrade to 5.5, which is XP compatible. Go to http://www.nero.com/en/who55.asp to read about the free upgrade.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 7th April, 2002, 02:54 AM

Good to hear.. also checked my version.. and somehow it's version 5.5 now I don't remember updating it. but heheh.
Old 7th April, 2002, 03:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

bah, my scores went up after upgrading to xp. it is by far their best os to date IMO.
Old 7th April, 2002, 06:37 PM

Heheh XP for right now can 'suck it' Wanted to check it out before my new harddrive came in.. and about 75% of the way through the part there it's finding all the devices it blue screens then reboots . It does that every single time.. it gets to the same point, blue screens then reboots.

All I have left in the system is my cdrom, floppy drive and harddrive. . My mobo is an MSI K7T266 Pro . Grr.. wish I could find a way to go back to the Win2k that was installed on it.. but having no luck whatsoever.. Maybe I'll have better luck installing fresh rather then attempting an upgrade

Last edited by Nate-X; 7th April, 2002 at 07:05 PM.