AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th October, 2007, 09:03 PM
AOA Staff

Working Phenom RV670 system spotted

See front page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/3280/2/

Comments?
Old 6th October, 2007, 09:36 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Independent controls for power to each of the PCIe slots? Digital PWM? Full control of clock signal frequencies?

Sounds like AMD is trying really hard to convince computer enthusiasts that they are still a good choice. But those are gimmicks that distract from the core question: How well does it perform?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th October, 2007, 12:03 AM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

'Standard engineering sample' clockspeed (read 1.6GHz) and amd denying all cpu benchmarks is a slight concern as amd really does need to make headway with clockspeed to be even the slightest bit competitive.

I did see on the post screen it was using the ram at only 800mhz and not its 1066mhz that its supposed to support. 2T timing as well rather than 1T.

What is the use of the slot power control ? is it the slot can provide 255W just that its not very good. If you limit it to v1's 75W or even v2's 150W do the addon boards then work better
Old 9th October, 2007, 12:56 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I guess they thought they had to show us something, but this dance of Seven Veils reeks of obfuscation for its own sake.
Old 9th October, 2007, 08:55 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Mmmmmm those toys look cool Let's see them working before we come up with a conclusion
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Last edited by chrisbard; 9th October, 2007 at 08:55 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th October, 2007, 06:33 AM

Drooling....

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah
Old 10th October, 2007, 07:29 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I'd think that if they had something, they'd show it to us. Time to digg deep AMD!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 28th October, 2007, 02:33 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

It's sad, really. Intel survived for a long time, producing inferior parts at twice the price, due to mindless brand loyalty. Unfortunately, the people that fueled AMD's years of grossly outperforming Intel, are not fanboys. They chose AMD because it was simply a cheaper, faster chip. Now Intel has nosed ahead of AMD, and they have all jumped over to the other side. I'm not faulting them. It's just sad that Intel only had to win for a few months to hurt AMD so badly that they will most likely stay out front for a very long time. We all will have slower PCs as a result. With no strong competition, Intel wil sit back, and crank out garbage for the next decade.
Old 28th October, 2007, 07:16 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Or maybe we'll have to recycle a ton of aluminum cans from our garbage to afford Intel's processors.
Old 30th October, 2007, 02:45 AM
Metal Wizard

I have not posted for awhile as I am being worked to death and have no life suddenly. But I have no choice to comment as that drivel azriel is running requires it!!!

you say that when intel was down it only survived due to mindless loyalty. What garbage. the gap was never as large as you think. I will put my 3.4 presler right up against your 3800 any day I don't use it any more but I will pull this processor out and put that one in and run right over you.
It does not matter who wins in your weird little war no one will p[roduce garbage for the next 10 years!! That has to be about the most rediculous thing I have read yet..
There is simply no place on the timeline or road map for either company for 10 years of garbage. Good grief no wonder I stay out of the fanboy section I know you call it the amd section but hey I just call them like I see them. do yourself a favor sell al the machines in your sig and set up a Q6600 it will do more for less than all of them you have now.
If you like we can meet up in the benchmark seesion and see if you can hang with a Presler. On anything!! If you can't afford an intel dual core celeron which for around $70 dollars will rip apart a FX62 and higher than you need to rethink your careers and or your budgets.
I remember just last year a FX 60 was $1000 dollars and my $286 presler ripped it's little wings off...............

WZ
Old 30th October, 2007, 05:00 AM

No competition means garbage in...garbage out.

As much as you call it "drivel" he has a serious point; glad you read it.
That said, of freaking course your chip isnt going to look as bad when you push it to high hell and compare with synthetics.....

There was definetly a decent gap between Intel and AMD at a paticular point. I doubt it was galaxies wide, but certainly noticable in some(or most situations)

Easy with the fanboy talk when you come in and tell someone to axe their machines and push for another company... might sound somewhat - hypocritical?? =)

And the not affording comment was just a cheap shot; keep the gloves up zilla'.
Old 30th October, 2007, 03:47 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

We really don't need to speak to one another as if we were waring armies!
Were just hardware guys try to do right by ourselves and each other.

There is always going to be differences in opinion, do we need to make that a bad thing?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 30th October, 2007 at 04:47 PM.
Old 30th October, 2007, 04:04 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
There is always going to be differences in opinion, do we need to make that a bad thing?
Only if your hardware is different from mine!
Old 30th October, 2007, 04:43 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

AMD allways were a 'small fries' manufacturer. The bottom line being that for a long time they only had the one fab. Even when they had the superior product and the demand to go with it they couldnt make enough chips. Then they got the new fab online and signed a big deal with dell. But have fallen a generation behind in terms of cpu performance.

Because amd are small and lightweight (or at least they used to be) they were able to make great leaps in terms of performance to catch up with what intel were doing.
Intel due to its huge size just keeps on plodding along evolving its current products and shipping millions of its old products.
Intel have lots of fabs so they can manufacturer multiple generations at a time and even have entire fabs dedicated to making prototype chips.

Unfortunutly for amd penryn (yorkfield) has beaten phenom to market and its a corker of a chip that has alot of headroom left in it. From the reviews i've seen even though its a 3GHz chip (9x mult) its an extreme edition which means its mult is unlocked and all the reviwers have been able to hit 3.33GHz and in some cases 3.66GHz just by turning up the multiplier.

Which suggest intel could make a 3.66GHz (333x11) quad core cpu that runs at 1.25v
even though its a 130w tdp chip measurements have been made showing that its a 74w chip fully loaded at 3GHz and only ~90w at 3.66GHz

Amazingly fully loaded a yorkfield uses 47w less than a kentsfield at 3GHz
(the kentsfield already used less power than a 6400+ dual core chip)

and the part that will have amd worried is that on a small vcore increase all the chips can break the magical 4GHz speed on air. Reviewers have been getting chips past 4.5GHz on air / low end watercooling with just 1.45v however they're not wanting to break the new chips just yet and the voltage limit of 45nm chips is not yet known.

Personally i can hardly wait until the enthusiasts get hold of them and stick them under ln2, 5GHz should be easy, heck 6GHz might even be possible! (a chip was demo'd by intel at 5.9GHz not that long ago)
Old 30th October, 2007, 04:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Only if your hardware is different from mine!
If only I could learn to think these things though!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 30th October, 2007, 04:58 PM
Member/Contributor

Question really for AMD, where are the barca's quad cores ... i've just had a quick search around the web and i cant find someone who will sell me one. The best i could find was a stock expected on 11th december '07
They were 'launched' 7 weeks ago now ...

Last edited by keithwalton; 30th October, 2007 at 05:00 PM.
Old 30th October, 2007, 05:32 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

From what I've heard, AMD are having a really hard time making enough Barcs to meet their OEM demand (i.e. their yeilds are really low)
Old 30th October, 2007, 05:42 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Getting Penryn working at 45nm wasn't exactly easy for Intel either. You know that high k stuff they've been talking about? Without that there'd be no 45nm processors. Although Intel started research on high k in the mid 1990s, it wasn't until 2003 that they could design transistors that could be scaled down to 45nm using high k materials. So, at the end of 2004, Intel decided to bet on high k, starting with SRAM. The first high k SRAM test chips came off the line in 2006, providing Intel with the experience of features needed to build Penryn. Use of high k dropped the gate leakage by a factor of ten. It also allows for an increase in the drive current and a decrease in the subthreshold leakage. Without this work, Penryn would still work, but more slowly, and with a higher power consumption.
Old 30th October, 2007, 05:51 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

However, if AMD can catch up without the use of high k dielectrics, then when they do move to the IBM-AMD high k process, hopefully it will net them substantial gains.
Old 3rd November, 2007, 04:41 AM
Member/Contributor

It would appear that l'inq has picked up on the lack of barc'a chips

Barcelona still missing in action - The INQUIRER

not good really when they are about to launch there next chip in a few days at reduced speeds apparently model numbers are remaining the same but they're all going down a speed bin to what was previosly expected, so the top chip will be 2.4GHz instead of 2.6GHz but the power req remains the same see Phenom slowed again - The INQUIRER

Which means the top amd quad core has the same clock speed of intels slowest quad core which is incidently being replaced in a couple of months time

Last edited by keithwalton; 4th November, 2007 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Typo 2.2GHz should of been 2.6GHz