AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th October, 2007, 04:00 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

MD's Q3 results show record sales, but company is still in the red

Written by Daniel
Saturday, 20 October 2007
AMD's Q3 results show record sales, but company is still in the red

By Jon Stokes | Published: October 19, 2007 - 12:15PM CT
ARS Technica
I love the smell of a price war in the morning. Record microprocessor sales and an overall revenue increase of 18 percent versus the previous quarter, 26 percent year-over year, and a 29 percent revenue increase in the graphics segment—such a strong quarter—wasn't enough to pull AMD into positive earnings territory... Front Page
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th October, 2007, 02:43 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Intel needs some competition. Of course, in today's business climate no merger is too big for comfort, no loss of competition too much to bear. Kraft plus General Foods? No problem. Exxon plus Mobil? Sure, why not? Eating AMD would cause no Intel gastric distress. Color it gone?
IBM would probably get first dibs.
Old 24th October, 2007, 02:56 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

IBM doesn't want them. IBM are much happier right now being an R&D house, fabbing for other outfits, and building high-end chips. They aren't above fighting with Intel vi proxy, but they aren't going to take Intel on head-to-head in the commodity-chip market.

Last edited by Gizmo; 24th October, 2007 at 02:56 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th October, 2007, 04:12 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I thought IBM because they helped AMD with the whatcha ma call it... less drain in CPU's because of better resistance in layers that were prone to "leak" joltage too easily. Crud, I can't remember the right term. If AMD is all that undesirable as an acquisition, this bodes ill for we consumers!
Old 24th October, 2007, 06:26 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

You're thinking of IBM's SOI (silicon-on-insulator) technology that allowed AMD to produce the first Hammer cores with better performance and lower power consumption than Intel's P4, I think.
Old 25th October, 2007, 01:30 AM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

Yup IBM helped out AMD with the 130nm SOI process and alot of the 90nm process as well which is really what made the A64 so good. In return IBM pretty much got the cpu design and the Power PC 970 was born, otherwise known as the G5 cpu in the apple mac's. IBM failed to get this chip upto 3GHz (and so did AMD for a long time) and so the apple deal went south.
IBM have since been working with console makers for the cpu's inside the Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and Wii.

I havent really heard much on the whole AMD/IBM front since except for people theorising that IBM are being vultures ready to pick on AMD's remains.

AMD however really need to start using black ink on there bank statements. 3 consecutive high losses is not good in this day and age. Investors dont like companies that loose money they are a big risk to them. Yes 1/3rd of the loss was due to buying ATI still, but 2/3rds of the loss is still pure AMD.
Somthing that made me chuckle however, AMD's total revenue was $1.632 billion
Intel's NET (as in after tax) profit was $1.86 billion!

I have noticed over the past few weeks / months that AMD are starting to get more vocal about future technology mainly the 45nm procees ramp with some AMD people saying H1/08 and other H1/09!

I have however done my bit for AMD! the laptop I brought a few weeks ago has an ATI HD 2400 graphics chip in it!
However its an intel cpu and chipset
Old 25th October, 2007, 07:10 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

SOI, how could I forget? Slaps forehead. Let's not count AMD out quite yet. I fervently hope!