AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th April, 2002, 11:45 PM

SIS 745 vs VIA266A

So, what seems to be doing best??
I've been looking at the DFI AD70 - SC boards and the ECS K7S6A but I cant find a comparitive review, only single ones, so this is making it hard to choose, both are about same price, I know the sis735 chipset is a lot slower than the 266A but what about the 745??
Old 6th April, 2002, 11:59 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I believe from a memory performance perspective, the KT266A is better. The 745 is no faster than the 735.. It has a few additional features, such as firewire support, and is marketed for DDR@166FSB. However, @ 133 vs 133, the VIA chip is faster. On the other hand, 745 boards tend to be less expensive. If I've made the decision any tougher, my job is done,
Old 7th April, 2002, 12:01 AM

The DFI it is, same price as a 745 but faster.
Old 7th April, 2002, 12:58 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

While more than a few reviews of the SiS 735 chipset(and the SiS 745 may only be a whisker or two faster) touted its equality to, and even superior performance over the Via KT-133A and AMD 760 chipsets, these hyped wowsa's seem inaccurate, putting it charitably.

The KT-266A memory benches are decidedly better than the SiS 745's. There are more considerations to take into account when choosing between the Via and SiS chipsets. SiS isn't Via. It doesn't need those delicious 4-in-1's, for starters. That alone was enough to sell me on the SiS chipsets.
Old 7th April, 2002, 01:48 AM
.:N2:.

i just bought one of each!! HAHAHA!!

i'll share my reviews with you guys

incidentally,
maybe you can offer some guidance on this.

i never did much in the way of reviews, but i just got a batch of stuff and 5-6 articles could be easy! it's mostly all popular current items. so i reckon the interest in how they fare would be good.

what's some good utilities to base benchmarks on?

and...

what programs do you guys use to put a review together with?

i'm kinda interested in writing,
i got some stuff to test and thus write about....
i just need some general direction.

thanks for any tips you'd like to offer
Old 7th April, 2002, 02:45 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

For benchmarks, you're generally safe with 3dMark2001, SysMark, UT, stuff like that.

To put the review together, you usually use HTML code. Generally, you write the review, sticking in reminders where you want to put images later. Then when you go to HTML code it, you just put in the correct HTML codes to insert images.

Also, people like stories. They don't wanna hear "I bought the motherboard and put it in the case." They wanna hear, "Getting this beast into my case was like trying to ram the nearest camel into the eye of a needle. First, it wouldn't...."

Also, I use Excel to make the graphs.

And if you haven't found a place to write the reviews for yet, don't hesitate to consider www.daocplace.com (one of your friendly allied sites )

Hope this helps!

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th April, 2002, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by .:N2:.
i just bought one of each!! HAHAHA!!

i'll share my reviews with you guys

incidentally,
maybe you can offer some guidance on this.

i never did much in the way of reviews, but i just got a batch of stuff and 5-6 articles could be easy! it's mostly all popular current items. so i reckon the interest in how they fare would be good.

what's some good utilities to base benchmarks on?

and...

what programs do you guys use to put a review together with?

i'm kinda interested in writing,
i got some stuff to test and thus write about....
i just need some general direction.

thanks for any tips you'd like to offer
When do you expect these reviews to be ready??? Can you share any info now??
You see I have to buy pretty quick cos I'm getting fed up with my old PC.
Old 7th April, 2002, 02:35 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Deciding on the chipset alone should not be enough to decide on the mobo. There are usually tons of features on a chipset that are not utilized by the mobo maker. Also, other features are dependent on the mobo, like overclocking... and let's not forget quality and dependability. I know the ECS is a decent mobo, but it has very weak (by today's standard) o/c capabilities. IMHO, the chipset is only the first factor, when looking at a mobo purchase.

Look at all the other features and stuff. Memory bandwidth alone does not a mobo make.
Old 7th April, 2002, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI
Deciding on the chipset alone should not be enough to decide on the mobo. There are usually tons of features on a chipset that are not utilized by the mobo maker. Also, other features are dependent on the mobo, like overclocking... and let's not forget quality and dependability. I know the ECS is a decent mobo, but it has very weak (by today's standard) o/c capabilities. IMHO, the chipset is only the first factor, when looking at a mobo purchase.

Look at all the other features and stuff. Memory bandwidth alone does not a mobo make.
well you see thats the problem
I know the sis is outclassed performance wise
but what I really want is a good stable, compatible chip at a good price. Performance is not that important either.
my ocing days are long gone.
Old 7th April, 2002, 05:56 PM

Loop...

i'll share my experience.

being a common forum dweller over two years now,
and from my first computer being homebuilt...
(never bought pre-made)

i've messed with alot of stuff.

read ALOT more than i've had pleasure of playing with.

i have here 5 mobos. 3 are ECS, 2 are Iwill.

ECS:
K7VZA~ KT133A
K7S5A~ SiS 735
K7VTA3~ KT266A

Iwill:
KK266~ KT133A
KK266-R~ KT133A

now i know i'm a bit outdated for the most part...
but..
the KT333 has no "A" LOL

ok so, in my opinion, Iwill is made for O/C'ing.
ECS is super-cheap, feature rich, and STABLE!!! (but, nary a choice for O/C'ing)

and for performance, i like the proven KT266A
however, the SiS 735 offers me SDR Or DDR...
this is valuable as i have lots of SDR and DDR isn't cheap right now. but when it is cheap, i can switch. Nice!!!

so there's my rationale.
also, i RMA'd Iwill with great success and highly recommend them as they are FAST and consumer-oriented. Quality control seems to be very high also.

Asus and Abit have let me down immensely.
when i entered this hobby, they were long time tops.
now, they offer shoddy overpriced products and have little care for the end user. this is a shame.

other quality board makers are Gigabyte, Epox, Shuttle, Solotek, and Soyo... but for dollar for dollar performance on a stock to slightly tweaked board, ECS wins, hands down.

i hope this users opinions helps you out some
Old 7th April, 2002, 07:20 PM

I really need some info on DSI, from what I have read already they are much like ECS. Cheap, reliable.
Old 7th April, 2002, 07:23 PM

BTW...

Superman53142, thank you Very Much for that info m8
Old 7th April, 2002, 07:29 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

loop, by all means. I'd be very interested in reviews of your ECS mainboards!

My ECS K7S5A has been a great mainboard. It's price still makes me feel warm and fuzzy. BUT---a lot of people have problems with ECS's SiS(for AMD) mobo's. Basic scary problems, not "I can't OC my K7S6A to 533 Mhz. Why?!" 'problems.'

I don't trust my luck to hold if I bought ECS's K7S5A's replacement, the K7S6A. For this reason, I'm interested in the MSI-6561, Micro Star International's SiS 745 mainboard. You might check it out.