AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd December, 2007, 09:39 PM

Regardless. An XP chip really doesn't like high temps even at stock speed. An aftermarket cooling solution will help you. Choose one that is designed for the XP generation or up. A Zalman CNPS7000 CU or AlCu are very cheap and really do the trick.
Having such a high idle temp on the cpu is probably the one and only reason for the instability. My XP-M becomes unstable at little over 50°C, but it's overclocked. I'm pretty certain that an idle temp over 60°C will make it trip up as well.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th December, 2007, 04:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to djXternal Send a message via MSN to djXternal Send a message via Yahoo to djXternal

the temp in my house is around 74F

The issue with finding an aftermarket cooler, is many are made for boards with mounting holes, I have to use a clip for my cooler

Last edited by djXternal; 4th December, 2007 at 04:04 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th December, 2007, 02:43 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Cooler
Old 4th December, 2007, 07:21 PM

Thermalright SLK-900A Copper Heatsink Review - FrostyTech.com

Thermalright SLK-900 series has mounting clips. I have one lying around here. You'd be welcome to get it for free but the US is a bit far. It has to be available somewhere and otherwise somewhere findable on the 2nd hand market.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Old 4th December, 2007, 08:04 PM
Steve Jobs

The heatsink is worth twice as much as the CPU.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 4th December, 2007, 09:27 PM

Yeah, maybe I should sell my SLK for its worth in copper. I also have an SP97 lying here, might get profitable
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Old 4th December, 2007, 11:03 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djXternal View Post
the temp in my house is around 74F

The issue with finding an aftermarket cooler, is many are made for boards with mounting holes, I have to use a clip for my cooler
How many people in Calgary can say that with their doors open?
Old 5th December, 2007, 04:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to djXternal Send a message via MSN to djXternal Send a message via Yahoo to djXternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me View Post
Thermalright SLK-900A Copper Heatsink Review - FrostyTech.com

Thermalright SLK-900 series has mounting clips. I have one lying around here. You'd be welcome to get it for free but the US is a bit far. It has to be available somewhere and otherwise somewhere findable on the 2nd hand market.
How much would it cost to get it shipped here?
Old 8th December, 2007, 07:42 PM

I am actually now thinking of purchasing a Socket A ASUS mobo to replace this Epox i am currently running, it would allow me to avoid the pin-mod for ocing purposes, and it would give me the four mounting holes for a cooler enabling me to use a better zalman cooler or something of the sort.... could this possibly be a good solution to my cooling issues?
Old 8th December, 2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:
How much would it cost to get it shipped here?
It would cost me 13€.

Quote:
I am actually now thinking of purchasing a Socket A ASUS mobo to replace this Epox i am currently running, it would allow me to avoid the pin-mod for ocing purposes, and it would give me the four mounting holes for a cooler enabling me to use a better zalman cooler or something of the sort.... could this possibly be a good solution to my cooling issues?
It might, depends on the price of the asus board i'd say.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Last edited by Wolf2000me; 8th December, 2007 at 08:24 PM.
Old 8th December, 2007, 08:56 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

If money is too tight to buy a more up to date mainboard, maybe Wolf2000me's solution is a good one? 13 Euros hmm, that's about $19.05 at the moment.
Old 8th December, 2007, 09:12 PM

which happens to be about the price of the asus board on ebay.... and I havent completely ruled out a new 64bit system, but in about a month ill be moving into a dorm and this pc will be my tv as well as my main pc, so i need it stable enough so i can rely on it to record my tv programs

edit:
if I was to get a new 64bit system.... would you recommend a socket 939 or am2?

Last edited by djXternal; 8th December, 2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old 8th December, 2007, 11:23 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

If you're going AMD the AM2 is the only one to get (IMO) simply because socket 939 support has been discontinued by AMD and 939 chips are going to be getting harder and harder to find.
Old 8th December, 2007, 11:41 PM

ok its been so long since Ive done any research I wasnt sure, but it looked like the 939's were becoming fewer and fewer at places like newegg and tigerdirect
Old 9th December, 2007, 05:10 AM

I just put together a AM2 system on the cheap for 240 all new stuff. It was quite quick.
Old 9th December, 2007, 02:27 PM

I don't know.. I wouldn't recommend any AMD system at this point in time. There are cheap Core2 (Q or D) system options as well. All of them pretty much beating any equally priced AMD counterpart. Of course you won't find an Intel Core 2 processor below 60$ but you can find the cheapest one at around 110$. Those are still effortlessly overclocked to reasonable frequencies beating pretty much even a Phenom.
Anyone correct me if I'm being to harsh on AMD
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Old 9th December, 2007, 03:45 PM

The only reason I still use them is they are uber cheap. For a basic desktop ( web, email and so on) they can't be beat for a sub 300 dollar setup....
Old 14th December, 2007, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me View Post
I don't know.. I wouldn't recommend any AMD system at this point in time. There are cheap Core2 (Q or D) system options as well. All of them pretty much beating any equally priced AMD counterpart. Of course you won't find an Intel Core 2 processor below 60$ but you can find the cheapest one at around 110$. Those are still effortlessly overclocked to reasonable frequencies beating pretty much even a Phenom.
Anyone correct me if I'm being to harsh on AMD
I don't think you are being particularly hard on AMD. it is still a matter of personal preference. every now and
then, I get the urge to fire up my Win3.1, DX4-100, 16mb mem and 10mb hdd. I bought it in 1990 for $2,400.00
with 4mb of ram. the 16mb 72 pin EDO cost $500.00. and it was an AMD cpu made for Intel. I have had only
one computer with an Intel cpu in it. was a celeron 900 that I got to 1+ gHZ. my first oc success story. it has
been AMD ever since. price driven in the beginning, I continue to buy AMD for other reasons now.

Ron

AOA Team fah