AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd November, 2007, 06:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to djXternal Send a message via MSN to djXternal Send a message via Yahoo to djXternal

Athlon XP-M 2900+ running too hot

Hey guys, just got my new system running and it is an epox 8rgm3i with an amd athlon xp-m 2900+, normally with the xp-m's on this board i can use pin-mod to lower the vcore so the temp isnt so high since it defaults to a higher vcore than the cpu is meant for. But for some reason that is the only thing the pin-mod cant adjust on this cpu. Do I have any other options to lower the vcore, my system s unstable with this voltage. And the bios does not have any adjustments available
Old 3rd November, 2007, 01:31 PM

It's somewhat of a moot point. Most XP-M chips need 1.45v to run at stock speed and most socket A epox boards run it at 1.55v. That's still less than the stock voltage on regular barton chips, which is 1.65v. Seeing that a mobile xp chip is actually a regular chip with minor adjustments on the PCB and of course being of better quality.
I suggest you just get better cooling. Unless of course your board overvolts your chip even more, however if you don't post by how much it does that it really is hard to give a recommendation.

You want your XP-M chip below 50°C at all times to ensure absolute stability, however if you're not overclocking these chips can *usually* take a lot more heat. So what's the temp you get at full load?
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd November, 2007, 09:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to djXternal Send a message via MSN to djXternal Send a message via Yahoo to djXternal

I get around 65C full load and it is running at 1.6V
Old 4th November, 2007, 03:16 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

What's your ambient when you are running 65C on the chip?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th November, 2007, 02:24 PM

That's too high for that amount of voltage even with a stock heatsink. Perhaps reseating the heatsink after having applied new thermal compound (AS5 or so) might be a good idea. An aftermarket heatsink is usually also a good idea with XP-M chips.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Old 9th November, 2007, 12:55 AM

I alreayd put AS5 on it, and its running a Thermaltake Volcano 3
Old 10th November, 2007, 05:29 PM

The volcano 3 was never really meant for use with socket A. It is compatible but that's about it. It's performance might even be worse than the stock AMD heatsink. So I think that's your problem right there.
I suggest a thermalright SI 97 or SP 97 if you can find them. The SI 97 is still available if I'm not mistaken and it's probably the best heatsink for socket A out there.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Old 18th November, 2007, 01:30 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

So, how is this coming along?
Old 18th November, 2007, 04:07 AM

I havent had a chance to swap fans yet, hopefully sometime next week I will and I'll let you know what happens
Old 18th November, 2007, 09:49 AM
Steve Jobs

Used to have a Volcano 3 on my Duron 1300 (morgan core), and it did a pretty bad job of keeping that thing cool. When I later bought an XP 2400+ (Tbred B) I used the 2400+ stock AMD cooler on the Duron 1300, and it lowered the temps by about 10C.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 19th November, 2007, 07:24 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

NOT the best recommendation I've read...":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 2nd December, 2007, 04:07 PM

Ok well I just switched back to my 20$ HSF on this system, and I am still idleing at 66C with a vcore of 1.6v, case temp of 35C
Old 2nd December, 2007, 06:51 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Your idle temps shouldn't change much because you aren't pulling much juice at idle. Load temps are what will be affected.

Last edited by Gizmo; 3rd December, 2007 at 05:17 AM.
Old 2nd December, 2007, 07:19 PM

Idle temps are still quite high with that voltage though. Have you verified the temps with another program? I'm running a XP-M at 1.65 with a cheap copper base ultra heatsink (lapped) and don't get past 60 loaded on an NF7-S.

What are your load temps? Does the heatsink feel like it is close to the temps you are reporting?

Can't help with the pin mod, never owned an Epox board.

Last edited by ccperf721p; 2nd December, 2007 at 07:20 PM.
Old 2nd December, 2007, 09:33 PM

I'm using MBM to monitor temps and have never had trobules with it reporting the wrong temps... and yes the heatsink does feel much warmer than previous CPUs have made the heatsink
Old 2nd December, 2007, 10:31 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Load up Everest Home from our files section. This does pretty well on temps and volts. At least it is a second opinion. At that idle speed, it should crash under load.
Old 3rd December, 2007, 04:51 AM

and it does crash under load, I cant even run photoshop cs3 without crashing
could it be a bad cpu?

Edit:
Everest Home reports the same temps

Last edited by djXternal; 3rd December, 2007 at 04:59 AM.
Old 3rd December, 2007, 05:28 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

If you are running 65+C idle, and crashing under load, you have a definite cooling problem. There is no way your idle temps should be more than 10C above your mobo temps, even with a crap heat sink, UNLESS you don't have the Athlon XP Cool 'n Quiet driver loaded (I think that's what it's called; in any case, it lowers the cpu's IDLE temps by allowing the OS to put the CPU into a low power state when the system is idle, and only waking up periodically to check timers and such or when interrupts trip).

Next time you reboot, pop into the OS and see what the temp is reported there. If it's roughly the same, then you don't have the driver loaded.

However, even if you don't have the driver loaded, the fact that you are crashing under load says that you are running too hot, or that your mobo is unstable. Given that you can't pin-mod to a lower voltage, I'm incliined to suspect your mobo, but it IS possible that the CPU is borked some way.
Old 3rd December, 2007, 05:49 AM

hmm maybe this is just a good excuse to spend some money on a 64bit system, but ill keep fussing around with it to try and see if I can get it going
Old 3rd December, 2007, 09:35 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Not that it's much help, but what are your ambient temps in Fla? The southern tip of said state is always hot. Or at least mighty warm compared to the Northeast!