AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th November, 2007, 03:07 PM

Recomendations for MB, processor, memory & video upgrade

This is not another 'what's the best' thread!

I'm looking to upgrade an existing box by replacing the motherboard, processor, memory & video card.

My needs are;
1. AMD compatible based board,
2. Full size ATX,
3. I don't overclock,
4. Provisions for PATA & SATA sockets as I have two older PATA HDDs' I want to use,
5. This might be used for a HDTV tuner,
6. I run 2k, but might be using XP, but certainly not Vista,
7. I'm more interested in manufacture support and reliabilty than a few extra benchmark points. IOWs', what manufactures to stay away from?
8. Mid priced.
9. I'm not looking for cutting edge technology. I would rather look at products that have been out for a year, as long as it doesn't look obsolete
10. Are PCIe slots standard now replaceing AGP as the video would be a separate card?
11. How about IDE slots for optical drives?
12. Any MBs' that have a optical (or digital) out for the on board audio?

I admit I haven't kept track of all the changes. I have always used AMD since I have no use for any Wintell based product.

Questions;
1. Are the main MB chipsets available for AMD based systems still nVidea & VIA?
2. What types of memory are used here?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by videobruce; 12th November, 2007 at 04:57 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th November, 2007, 10:30 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Socket type?

My Asus A8N Sli has all that you ask. Very nice and stable board.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th November, 2007, 01:05 AM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
10. Are PCIe slots standard now replaceing AGP as the video would be a separate card?
PCI Express is now the norm, for video cards.
Old 13th November, 2007, 01:06 AM

I second that. Excellent board. Have survive me, so It has to be good. Good customer service also. Not too flashy, just a little bit humble. Good luck!

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah
Old 13th November, 2007, 04:57 AM

A fast search (only at Newegg) turned up a Asus M2N-E. I see there too many 'new' processors, chipsets, memory & video cards to narrow down at the monent. I have started to look into all of this and I am surprised with what Wintel has done over AMD regarding their processors. That doesn't change my mind, I still want a AMD processor based system.
Old 13th November, 2007, 01:34 PM

That is an AM2 board. I have read mixed reviews. Most negatives have been related to Over Clocking. If you plan not to do that, you should be fine.
Old 14th November, 2007, 02:54 PM

To update my choices from the additional reading I have done;

AM2 socket,
nForce 5xx chipset (but which 500??),
1GB DDR2-800 memory (but, one stick or two 500MB sticks for redundency?),
nVideo video card (with VGA & DVI)
Old 14th November, 2007, 03:14 PM

If you need 2 IDE channels your choices are limited to a few boards. The Asus M2N-E would do just fine.

Go with the 2 X 512 so you can run dual channel.

For HDTV output I woudn't go with anything less than a 7600GT series card. What is the budget for the card?
Old 14th November, 2007, 04:13 PM

I really didn't want to go over $150 for the video card. I haven't looked into the most bang for the buck senerio yet.
As to the memory stick question; I always like using two sticks as opposed to one with the same amount of total memory in case one stick bites the dust, I have a fallback. With one stick your dead in the water. Though I do understand you have 2x the number of connections that can fail.
This 'dual channel' sounds as another deal as was with nForce2s' older version that didn't work any faster.

Last edited by videobruce; 14th November, 2007 at 04:14 PM.
Old 14th November, 2007, 04:44 PM

With A64 and above dual channel performance with AMD has improved significantly. Even more-so with AM2.

In that price range I would look at 7900GS cards. More than enough for HD content.
Old 14th November, 2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccperf721p View Post
With A64 and above dual channel performance with AMD has improved significantly. Even more-so with AM2.

In that price range I would look at 7900GS cards. More than enough for HD content.
What he said.....
Old 16th November, 2007, 09:10 PM

After spending half the day going to as many of the MB manufactures sites I would consider I have found these choices (all with 2 IDE channels);

Asus M2N-E SLI,
Foxconn N570SM2AA-8EKRS2H,
MSI K9N4 SLI-F,
Epox EP-AF590 SLI2,
Epox EP-AD580XR,
Epox MF570SLI (form factor??),
Abit KN9

Gigabyte, Soyo & Tyan had no AM2 boards with 2 IDE channels.

I know most will probably say the 1st entry would be the one of choice, but what do you guys think of the others? I'm not familar with Foxconn, other than just hearing of the name. I understand they do alot of OEM work.
Epox I'm questioning, because of some bad reports I have heard (other than the cap problems some years ago).
The MSI board didn't have a optical or coaxial audio out which I would perfer. The Abit doesn't either, but has separate outs for all the surround channels.

If anyone knows of any others with 2 IDE channels and either optical and/or coaxial audio outs, please add to the list.

I did find two more Asus boards, but they were over $170 which is out of the question.

The 2nd question I'm undecided about is;
Should I buy a low end processor and wait untill the prices drop on these newer AMD processors, or go with a better X2?
Old 17th November, 2007, 01:01 AM

You found Epox mobos?? Where??

The XFX8600 GTS will do fine too.

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah
Old 20th November, 2007, 03:20 PM

From their site, but also from Newegg.

Since you brought that up, others have just said Epox is prettu much a dead issue. I did a little reading and see they seem to have a problem, at least according to Wikipedia;
Quote:
The German and Dutch subsidiaries of EPoX closed on 26.06.2007 after a financial scandal and poor management decisions put the company in great financial trouble.
Anyone else have any input?

Last edited by videobruce; 20th November, 2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old 20th November, 2007, 04:02 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Is there any reason why you've decided to ignore Intel options?

On EPoX, a tech company with no updates/news for more than 6 months tends to indicate that they've probably disappeared. SUPoX appears to have sprung up, and indications have it staffed by ex-EPoX engineers.

Last edited by Áedán; 20th November, 2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old 22nd November, 2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Is there any reason why you've decided to ignore Intel options?
Absolutely. Along with M$, Intel & Sony all four are on my short list od companies I refuse to give my business to because of their dominance in their repective markets effectively cutting out most others (for the most part). Regarding Wintel, they have had a close releationship with M$ for over a decade (more ot less) that has caused problems for anyone who dared to go up against them. Hardware compatibility has always been a issue, especially before Win2k partly because of this.

The phrase; "Trash Inside", didn't come from me.
Old 22nd November, 2007, 04:24 PM

I think that the "Wintel" part is a little overblown, given that MS have given Intel strong negative signals over various of software in the past (Indeo anyone?). Intel does not need Microsoft in order to sell semiconductors. Intel's market share as of 2006, was approximately 11% of the semiconductor market. Even with after acquiring ATI, AMD isn't even in the top 5 semiconductor manufacturers (Intel, Samsung, Texas Instruments, Infineon and STMicroelectronics)

As far as AMD's current woes with processors, it could be strongly argued that AMD publically dismissed the technology that Intel is currently using so effectively. Back in 2003, AMD claiming that Intel's high k process "produced negative effects on some aspects of transistor performance". AMD has had plenty of time to build on their processors, but has failed to do so. Strangely enough, that's exactly the charge that was leveled at Intel with their NetBurst architecture. Instead, Intel's 10 year research plan has paid off. Now, just about every semiconductor manufacturer is working hard on their own high k process.

I would argue that the phrase "Trash Inside" no longer applies to Intel, given that their process is one of the most advanced in the world, if not the most advanced. AMD has been left trailing badly, despite having been the leader for a couple of years.

Last edited by Áedán; 22nd November, 2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 22nd November, 2007, 04:44 PM

Apparently things have changed in the past 3 or 4 years, for the worse for AMD. Thank you for your input, it's just unfortunate this is the case.
Quote:
Intel does not need Microsoft in order to sell semiconductors.
But, I still think M$ needs Intel to sell computers as they are, after all designed around that processor, aren't they?

Last edited by videobruce; 22nd November, 2007 at 04:46 PM.
Old 22nd November, 2007, 05:13 PM

Well, MS has had experience with selling Windows built for other processors (Windows NT ran on MIPS, PowerPC and Alpha). Windows 2000 was nearly released for Alpha, but it was canned after RC2, probably because Compaq (who produced the Alpha processor), decided that they weren't so sure they wanted it. The Alpha processor was 64bit, so Windows XP isn't the first 64 bit version of Windows.