AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th April, 2002, 02:06 AM

Overclock Success!

I am now running my AMD T-Bird 1400 @ 1540. It has been stable for several hours now. I am getting a Temp of 44c while folding.
The Thermalright AX7 is doing a great job but it seems to me that the fan is upside down. I am getting good temps with the fan blowing away from the cpu. Is this ok?
Old 8th April, 2002, 02:18 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Sounds pretty ok to me.
That's real cool for a Tbird.
Nice OC.
Old 8th April, 2002, 02:22 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Well done dude!! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th April, 2002, 02:26 AM

sweet real good temps too

fer 47 years ive been seeking a balance in life
and I’ve been from one end to the other
i may be getting close
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th April, 2002, 02:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

that's pretty much what mine is running at too. 165x9.5 @44C/
Old 8th April, 2002, 10:48 AM
BongWater

Sorry to be the nehsayer but I'll say 2 things...first, fan should be blowing TOWARD the cpu to cool the fins which have drawn the heat away from the cpu. Very few heatsink (Alpha PAL8045 is one that comes to mind) are designed for "sucking" action.

And 44c is not bad but neither is it optimal for that heatsink. For the overclock you are running, you should be at default VCORE which means I'd expect to see temps in the 36-38c range, depending on your ambient temperature.

So to know fully if those temps are optimal, would need to know a) what is your ambient temp b) what VCORE setting is and c) what fan you are running.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

BongWater
Old 8th April, 2002, 11:44 AM

I was happy to get the big temperature drop. Before I was getting 55c + under load with another cooler. Since I had the fan on backwards and had a good temp I just decided to leave it for now. I just thought it kinda funny in a nondestructive way. But I am gonna switch it around.
I may be able to get it below 40c when I change cases. The one I have is bad for airflow.
This is my first overclock attempt and with the results I got I am very pleased.
Old 8th April, 2002, 11:47 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

way to go!

probably making the fan blow onto the sink will work better, give it a go, no harm done if it makes no difference

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 8th April, 2002, 11:56 AM
BongWater

Your best bet is just to keep trying and experimenting. That's how people find out the "optimal" for their particular systems.

BongWater
Old 8th April, 2002, 10:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Speedy-J

Nice OC dude ,but take a look at my tbird
I'm still using the old sucker :-D
http://users.bart.nl/~multatul/new.jpg
http://users.bart.nl/~multatul/new1.jpg
Swiftech MCW and EPox Power ,my old kt266 ep-8kha..
Old 9th April, 2002, 12:12 AM

Wow! Speedy-J, that is outstanding!
The way mine is behaving I think I will be going beyond 1600. I just took a guess on settings so there may be a better way to get to where I wanna go. I went with a 11 multiplier and 140 bus. So I'm thinking that maybe I want to max out the bus and then deal with the multiplier. Only I gotta figure on a starting point as a way to be organized.
Old 9th April, 2002, 12:16 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

bigjohnson - Did you turn the fan the right way around? I had mine backwards and I was running nearly 10C hotter! That is a lot for a PC... Also, if you are still having cooling problems (The 40's) try a simple case fan, that blows into the case right above the heatsync. That brought my temps down from 40C to 35C (Idle, 50C to 40C-44C Stress)! That has been the only mod I have performed so far, and by far the best. I am adding a window in about a week, and another side fan (OC'd GeForce4Ti4400 needs more cooling)
Old 9th April, 2002, 12:27 AM

Yup, I turned the fan around and came down several degrees. I am running with no load at 41c.
The case I'm running won't mod well as it has a configuration problem. Tough to explain. You just gotta see it.
I'm am presently shopping for another case. I too want a window kit and a lotta well placed fans.
Old 9th April, 2002, 12:53 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Cool. Well, I guess it would be "hot" right now, but if you can mod it, or get a new modable case, that works also.

Word to the wise - Don't get allimimum. It's great foor heating and cooling (fast!) and modding and it even looks cool, but it is LOUD because its so thin. If you don't mind sound, it's okay, but I really like quite computers.

If the problem is something to do with a thick case, just get a good hole saw (special thing for a drill) and drill a hole in it. If it has to do with the metal at the top of the case, you might be able to cut it back with a hole saw or a jig saw or something like that. But if you are getting a new case soon anyways, dont bother. And check out Antec cases They are tight.
Old 9th April, 2002, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SiGmA_X
And check out Antec cases They are tight.
great sugestion i love mine

fer 47 years ive been seeking a balance in life
and I’ve been from one end to the other
i may be getting close
Old 9th April, 2002, 02:48 AM

I have an Antec server case. As it turns out it may be for the setup of scsi drives and such. It has almost no room for ide cables and the power supply blocks the 2 case fans in the back. I did cut it out some and it did help but still no good. I could go on but it is enough to say this thing is not up to the job. I bought it a good while back and did not know any better.
Old 9th April, 2002, 02:55 AM

Humm... Doesn't the PS go above the casefans? I thought that was what I saw in the display model... Maybe I am wrong tho.

Hope you find a good new case though!
Old 9th April, 2002, 11:35 PM

The case I have may be ok for a normal user where temps, hardware layout and such don't matter much.
I got a few old cases in the shed. As I am gonna be cutting and painting anyway, I may not need a new one.
Old 10th April, 2002, 02:09 AM

1575 and so far steady. I tried a little over 1600 and blue screened.
I still think above 1600 is possible. I just need to find a better approach.