AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th November, 2007, 12:24 AM

Question I have a question about this cpu Socket A Mobile

I found this CPU wanted to see what it could do in my Box never messed with a Mobile and it says this one is a Barton with very Low Volts.
CPU specs I want to get AMD Mobile Athlon XP-M 2400+ - AXMD2400GJQ4C

I have a EPOX 8rda3+PRO with the latest official Bios.
Right now running what is in my sig.

Question;
#1 Can I run this at 200 FSB
#2 Will my board Recognize this CPU (it should I would guess)
#3 How far can I push this seems like I should get pretty high around 2.4 with this I am guessing.
#4 I never heard of a Barotn below 2500+ this must be correct?
******EDIT******
I just called the place and these are the numbers on the CPU AXMH2400FQQ4C adyha 0503 I`m not sure if this is as good or maybe better than what I had I do know it runs at 1.45v insted of 1.35.

Thanxs for the help
PNY GEFORCE 7600GS 512MB 8X AGP
MAXTOR 500GB SATA 1 AND 80GB 7200 ATA 133
LITE ON DVD/CD BURNER
ANTEC EA380W DUAL 12V RAILS
POWER UP MIDTOWER CASE
SAITEK RUMBLEFORCE GAMEPAD

Last edited by SHOUTSAMD; 20th November, 2007 at 01:12 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th November, 2007, 05:51 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Bartons for the desktop started at 2500+ and had a TDP of 85W IIRC (1.65v Vcore). However, the mobile Bartons (Athlon XP-M) were lower power and lower clock speeds.

AMD produced a range of XP-M that were referred to as DTR (desktop replacement) parts, with a TDP of 72W (1.6v Vcore). They went from 2400+ to 3000+ (1.8 GHz to 2.2 GHz), but these were not the true 'mobile' bartons that everyone went nuts over.

The 'main' Athlon XP-M range ('M' for 'Mobile') were (so far as anyone can tell) regular bartons that were binned for lower power consumption (TDP of 45W, and 1.45 v Vcore). These parts tended to overclock VERY well. There were versions produced all the way from 2200+ to 2800+ (1.67 GHz to 2.13 GHz) AND they were multiplier unlocked.

There were also some 'low power' XP-M bartons (TDP 35W, and 1.35v Vcore) which were, again parts binned for even lower power than the 'standard' XP-M parts, and they were only ever produced as 2200+ and 2400+ versions. Unfortunately, no one who ever played with these parts had a great deal of luck getting a nice OC on them AFAIK. On the other hand, if you were interested in UNDERCLOCKING them (for e.g. a cool and quiet running machine), they were phenominal; I seem to recall reports of people being able to get them to go as low as 1v or so and still run stock speeds. At that point, fully loaded, they were only pulling like 10 watts or so, making them very easy to cool.

So, my advice would be to go with the AXMH2400FQQ4C. It should make 200 MHz FSB at 1.65v and a multi of 11 (default on that chip is 13.5) will get you 2.2 GHz (3200+ speeds). If you've got good cooling, you should be able to push it even farther than that (my 2500+ XP-M will go to 2.562 GHz and 232 MHz FSB at 1.9v Vcore, under water, with the right RAM).

Most likely, your motherboard will NOT identify the chip properly (it's a 'mobile', not a 'desktop' chip), and so will come up at 100 MHz FSB with a multi of 6. It will say 'unknown cpu type' or some such rot. Just go into the BIOS and manually set things to the proper clocks and you should be fine.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th November, 2007, 10:12 PM

Well I ordered this one now the wait to see how it does I got this one AXMH2400FQQ4C ADYHA it is 1.45v and 45w it runs on a 133mhz fsb I heard something like a Mod I may have to do with a wire so it runs right over 166 mhz FSB think it is the L12 mod not sure. I tried Merlins Bios but my system kept locking up no matter what settings I tried for Ram even very loose timings. I think I may have to use a hard wire mod or something. Are there any guides anymore I know this is all old news but I am still having fun with it. This will become my second system soon when I build another one based on a daul core with PCI-E, I just do not want to buy ram and a new vid card right now do not have that much change layin around. Not to mention I have arthritis in my hand and playing games will not start till that calms down. I have my 2800+ running fine at 2.2ghz at 1.7v and under load never over 50c so this new chip should run cool at 2.4 or more. I just have air cooling with a Thermaltake 80mm fan at 5000rpm with 82CFM with a copper based heatsink right now should work fine. I also ordered some copper memory heat spreaders and some Zalman VGA mem coolers. can`t wait for the parts to come in I hate waiting anyway thanks for any hints or tricks I may need .
LITE ON DVD/CD BURNER
POWER UP MIDTOWER CASE

Last edited by SHOUTSAMD; 20th November, 2007 at 10:16 PM.
Old 21st November, 2007, 12:34 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Go here. It's a nice little javascript tool that shows you what pins you need to jumper. The L12 mod is necessary to get the BIOS to load the ROMSIP table for the faster timings. However, I didn't think it was necessary on the 8RDA3+, only on the 8RDA. I could be wrong on that, though.
Old 26th November, 2007, 07:15 PM

I really wish I could call someone in the usa or canada to just give me a hint or two how to make this cpu mod so it can do 200mhz fsb or more. message me if I could call ya. TY

****EDIT****

I`m not exactly sure but I got it running at 2.4GHZ 12x200 without any mods at 1.725 v withouts any Mods and only at 86F running super PI 1MB in 46 seconds. does not make sence to me since the mobo is showing a higher temp than the CPU.
LITE ON DVD/CD BURNER
POWER UP MIDTOWER CASE

Last edited by SHOUTSAMD; 26th November, 2007 at 08:37 PM.
Old 26th November, 2007, 09:10 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

What are you using to check speed or CPU temps?
Old 26th November, 2007, 11:44 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

are you sure that is not 86C?
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 27th November, 2007, 01:24 AM

thats funny 86 C.no I am using cpuz Usdm and cbid.
LITE ON DVD/CD BURNER
POWER UP MIDTOWER CASE
Old 28th November, 2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOUTSAMD View Post
I really wish I could call someone in the usa or canada to just give me a hint or two how to make this cpu mod so it can do 200mhz fsb or more. message me if I could call ya. TY

****EDIT****

I`m not exactly sure but I got it running at 2.4GHZ 12x200 without any mods at 1.725 v withouts any Mods and only at 86F running super PI 1MB in 46 seconds. does not make sence to me since the mobo is showing a higher temp than the CPU.
http://users.telenet.be/denthomas/l12mod.gif

You take a small piece of IDE cable wire, bend it in a U shape and drop it in the socket shorting the right pins on the CPU.

You can run over 200Mhz FSB without L12 mod. But you will find your overclock limit a lot earlier when compared to a setup with L12 mod.
On the 8RDA3+Pro the BIOS will use the 133Mhz ROMSIP table. Being a serious strain on your system, certainly when running above 200Mhz FSB.
Setting both wires will bring you the 200Mhz romsip table and a 200Mhz default FSB frequency. The romsip table being used is closely tied to the default FSB of the CPU.
Setting only the blue wire, like I did, results in a 166Mhz default FSB and romsip table. It's a bit faster and as stable as the table being used at 200Mhz.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21
Old 1st December, 2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Go here. It's a nice little javascript tool that shows you what pins you need to jumper. The L12 mod is necessary to get the BIOS to load the ROMSIP table for the faster timings. However, I didn't think it was necessary on the 8RDA3+, only on the 8RDA. I could be wrong on that, though.
the question (in my mind) remains, does the L12 mod work on any/all NF2 mb?
or is it necessary on only 8RDA+/NF2?
I would be willing to try it on both of my Abit NF7 V2.0 with AXM2400. the max I get is 10x200
so I run them at 13/166.
the lower fsb allows for more cpu speed. underclocking the memory doesn't seem to bother performance. and folding
is very stable.

Ron

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dabaerman; 1st December, 2007 at 10:16 PM.
Old 1st December, 2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOUTSAMD View Post

****EDIT****

you seem to have one of the mobile 2400's that like 200 fsb. most don't and then you get to use
the default 12x multi too!!! I can't get mine to run 12x200. the other part of that is they fold 24/7
and I don't take the time to push either one. as long as they remain stable and fold, I'm OK with that!!!

Ron

AOA Team fah
Old 2nd December, 2007, 03:34 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabaerman View Post
I would be willing to try it on both of my Abit NF7 V2.0 with AXM2400. the max I get is 10x200
so I run them at 13/166.
the lower fsb allows for more cpu speed. underclocking the memory doesn't seem to bother performance. and folding
is very stable.

Ron
AFAIK, it depends on the BIOS; the L12 mod helps the NF7 running a standard BIOS, but the TicTac BIOSes didn't need it, IIRC. On the other hand, my AN7 doesn't need the L12 mod because the clocks and timings are all handled by the µ-Guru microcontroller (IMO, about the only good thing I can say about µ-Guru; I'll never buy another Abit mobo that uses it).
Old 2nd December, 2007, 05:55 AM

so, you aren't promoting uGuru?! come to think of it, I tried the L12 on my
first NF7 and it didn't help/change anything.
I will check on the current bios and make sure it's the latest tho. the NF7S
V1 was an impressive board. the V2 that I
have are the shiznitz!

Ron

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dabaerman; 2nd December, 2007 at 05:55 AM.
Old 2nd December, 2007, 06:42 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
so, you aren't promoting uGuru?!
Eh, no. Take a look at my AN7 review.
Old 3rd December, 2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
so I run them at 13/166.
is very stable.

Ron
Gizmo is right. It depends on the bios and what internal timings, tables and settings it uses. I tested on both the 8RDA6+Pro and the A7N8X deluxe. The mod on the epox board allowed a higher overclock of 150Mhz on the CPU and 20 Mhz on the FSB. It didn't affect the A7N8X in the slightest, although I wasn't able to test too thoroughly as the Asus board lacked the nessessary vcore.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21