AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th April, 2002, 11:53 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Thoroughbreds a fiery furnace?

I've just done some figuring based on preliminary data available on the Thoroughbred core. It may end up being the next Tbird temperature wise. Why? Because at the same operating frequency as a Palomino, it is going to have to dissipate 16% more heat per square millimeter of die size. Less wattage over all, but more per square millimeter of heatsink contact.

I might be wrong, they might not be as hot as the Tbirds, but it will certainly be hotter than the Palomino.

I think this small die size is going to make copper based heatsinks an absolute necessity for Thoroughbred overclocking, as your going to have so much heat in such a concentrated area.

This is similar to the cooling problems associated with Duron overclocking. Appolosa(0.13u Duron core) is going to be a b**** for sure!

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th April, 2002, 11:58 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

think maybe a copper heatspreader could be incorporated? like the intel ones but copper?

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th April, 2002, 12:07 PM

I doubt AMD will ever put a "heatspreader" on the Athlon. A "heatspreader" makes the CPU package taller, this necessitates new heatsink clips(or new heatsinks). AMD is pretty dedicated to make Thoroughbred a true drop in replacement for the Palomino. AMD also wants to keep platform costs down, cheapness is there biggest allie . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 9th April, 2002, 02:19 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

hmmm how else could they improve cooling....

i assume the shiny stuff the die is made from is just plopped on the top? could they use a better material for it? or even just make it cover more area? althought this would take prices up again

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 9th April, 2002, 02:30 PM

They can do a few things:

1) Use a higher grade of silicon that is more thermally conductive.
2) Use extra silicon for the sake of a larger contact area.
3) Strengthen everything, and increase mounting pressure.
4) Some combination of the above things in moderation.

AOA Team fah
Old 10th April, 2002, 12:39 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Isn't this great news? This has bugged me ever since I saw the size of a Duron slug. Smaller, better, cheaper! Yeah, but what about the area available for heat transfer? Spitfire Durons are so small that I'd lose them if they didn't have a supporting PCB.

OK, that's an exaggeration. And why is the "S-Spec" of the chip laser etched into the slug? Sure, it's cheaper and faster, but this info isn't on Intel's processors for a good reason. It wrecks the CPU/HSF junction. One would think, I don't know that for a fact!

But smaller yet hotter seems foolish. If a heat spreader was attached to AMD's slugs in an optimal fashion, using the very best material for the job, would it STILL make the heat transfer worse than it is from the naked slug??
Old 10th April, 2002, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
would it STILL make the heat transfer worse than it is from the naked slug??
It would depend on what heatsink and thermal compound was used with the naked slug . . .

It's more ecconomical to use a heatspread with an aluminum heatsink pre-applied heatsink compound than it is to use a naked die and a copper based heatsink with arctic silver. Hammer needed new heatsinks to be designed anyway, so this is the approach AMD decided upon with that CPU. K7 is too late in it's life-cycle to bother redesigning heatsinks for now, so no heatspreader will be used with it . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 10th April, 2002, 07:45 AM
Banned

Red face

The speculative concensus, among most AMD fans, is that the TBred will run cooler. Cooler because it's a true 13 micron chip.

It's all speculation untill some clockers can get their hands on em.

I think that a lot of folk are just trying to justify money spent on XP's when they criticize a chip that hasn't been released yet.

I just hope that they unlock easy and outrun pentium.

Bruno

BTW, my 650 duron @ 1G is crusin at 22C , air cooled.
Old 10th April, 2002, 08:08 AM

As I said above Bruno, the chips will dissipate less heat, however they will dissipate more heat per square millimeter of heatsink contact. When you create a thermal load, but can't get rid of it as effectively, heat builds up. They may not be as hot as I anticipate, we will have to wait and see what temperature folks do get . . .

As far as folks wanting to justify purchasing 0.18u XPs, I don't think thats always the case. I don't own an 0.18u XP right now, don't plan to buy one either. I'm just interested in suggesting that the oppinon that Thoroughbred will run cooler is not neccessarily going to be the case. We all may be wrong, it may run at temperatures very similar to the 0.18u parts . . .

AOA Team fah