AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th April, 2002, 08:07 PM

unlocking

Can any one assist me unlocking?
Ok I just read a bit about unlocking at the overclockers site but what is it axactly. Realy worth trying on an AMD board? I dont have one but am gathering info for a near future project.
Old 11th April, 2002, 08:33 PM
Banned

Allows you to change the multipliers on the cpu, which allows you to retain the same bus speed while clocking the cpu higher.
Old 11th April, 2002, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky
Allows you to change the multipliers on the cpu, which allows you to retain the same bus speed while clocking the cpu higher.
Boy Im realy new, I thought that the multipliers and fsb all could be changed thru eather the mobo bios or the built in jumpers.
Old 11th April, 2002, 09:47 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

For Intel they are "Multiplyer locked". But AMD use to sell "Unlocked chips" that would allow you to tell it to run (through the motherboard) at higher than advertised multiples. This is something a locked chip can't do.

Where as Intel's chip locking has never been over come by anyone. AMD made the chip unlocking process pretty easy. But then with the new chips it got a lot tougher, but still doable.

If you can't (Intel chips) or don't (AMD chips) unlock a chip allowing it to run at a higher multiple when the motherboard tells it to, upping your multiplyer won't get you anywhere.

If you don't want to perform minor surgery on a chip to unlock it, you can still overclock through the FSB, but your PCI cards and RAM will be overclocked as well, sometimes so greatly as to not function properly and really overheat, this is a danger for your CPU as well

So Motherboard makers started coming out with "Overclocking" motherboards which would allow the chip's MHz to be increased without increasing the FSB cards and RAM nearly as much. Thus running the PCI bus at varying "Fractions" of the CPU speed.

This is a general idea of what going on.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 11th April, 2002 at 09:52 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th April, 2002, 06:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Generaly unlocking a chip is done to increase the multiplyer and how much the chip can be overclocked. By taking the formula Multiplyer x FSB + Cpu voltage for every 100mhz increase= you recive the desired amount of overclock- (heheh sould like bs- hummm guess i was listing in math today........)
SPyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th April, 2002, 09:35 AM

Ok thanks for the info iis there any more how-to's out there on this subject. I am very interested in this but sounds very advanced for a beginner.
Old 12th April, 2002, 12:26 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I'd just hang in the forums for a bit give yourself a chance to get up to speed. Play with your front side bus and learn a bit about proper cooling and temps. It's not hard just takes a little getting use to":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 12th April, 2002, 02:26 PM

Wouldn't this be best served under the AMD Mobos and CPU forum?
Old 12th April, 2002, 04:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel ~
I'd just hang in the forums for a bit give yourself a chance to get up to speed. Play with your front side bus and learn a bit about proper cooling and temps. It's not hard just takes a little getting use to":O}
That's good advice, one day all these terms and concepts will click, just keep studying up and you'll understand it (like any subject, practice makes perfect).
Old 12th April, 2002, 08:45 PM

Thanks for the info, I find this hobby very iteresting even if the better half thinks its crazy:-D