AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th May, 2008, 06:07 PM
AOA Staff

AMD Phenom X3 8750

Quote:
Depending on how successful AMD's new triple core CPU is, it will either go down in history as a marketing achievement or blunder.
See front page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/4199/1/

Comments?
Old 19th May, 2008, 06:15 PM

I think it's like trying to sell 3 legged horses.

Last edited by ccperf721p; 19th May, 2008 at 06:15 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th May, 2008, 07:36 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

As has been observed elsewhere, the Phenom X3 is a case of "Using lemons to make lemonade". The X3 is nothing but a crippled X4. That means the X3 is no cheaper to make, but it has to sell for less than the X4. Net result: lower profit. The only way the X3 is a good decision is if the yeilds coming from the X4 line are so bad that AMD would have to throw out a substantial portion of dies otherwise, resulting in even LESS profit. Unfortunately, this is a Faustian bargain at best: when yeilds of the X4 finally get to a reasonable level, AMD still has to make the X3 available for less money than the X4, resulting in the deliberate crippling of cores that could go for more money.

I realize that is a simplistic evaluation, because an X4 core that nobody wants is worth even less than an X3 core that somebody DOES want, but I think you get my point.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th May, 2008, 09:15 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I fear for AMD's future, I must admit. Perhaps a worst case scenario: China buys AMD, the White House can't stop them from doing so, we owe them too much money to object to the deal. Ouch, not a good picture.