AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th July, 2008, 06:25 AM
Warthog Launch Champion

planning a dual cpu build

i am thinking of selling all my current rigs and just have on dual cpu rig

here is what i am thinking of putting in it

2x Opteron™ 64 280 Dual core Processor $385 each
ASUS KFN5-D-SLI Dual AMD Socket F 1207 nVidia Pro 3600 MCP HT2000 DDR2 $423
8x DDR2 2048MB(2G Single stick)PC6400 800Mhz $45 each
2x XFX GeForce 9800GTX Black Edition PCIE 512MB DDR3 2*DVI $459 each or 1x XFX GeForce 9800GX2 xXx 1GB DDR3 PCI-E x16 video card $789 havent decided what to go with yet
Antec Nine Hundred Tower Gaming Case with side window Black $152
Antec 1000W TruePower Quattro ATX & EPS 12V Power Supply Modular Cables $260
1x Samsung 1TB SATA II Echo Green 32M(HD103UI/Y) $175

if i do get it i will be able to run folding at home rip dvds and play games at the same time

IPhone 3G 16GB White

Intel C2Q Q6600 2.4GHz EVGA 750i SLI FTW 4GB CORSAIR XMS2 2X2GB 9800GT Stock ZALMAN 9900LED CPU COOLER ASUS vw193t 19' lcd thermaltake 500w psu Windows 7 Rtm 7600
AMD Athlon X2 4000+ @2.1Ghz ASUS M2N 2GB CORSAIR XMS2 1X2GB 7300gt STOCK thermaltake 500W PSU Windows 7 Rtm 7600
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th July, 2008, 02:41 AM
Warthog Launch Champion

my plans for the dual cpu build went out the window this morning i found out the owners of the house i am renting are selling it and i have to move so now my money i had to start building my rig has to go towards moving

IPhone 3G 16GB White

Intel C2Q Q6600 2.4GHz EVGA 750i SLI FTW 4GB CORSAIR XMS2 2X2GB 9800GT Stock ZALMAN 9900LED CPU COOLER ASUS vw193t 19' lcd thermaltake 500w psu Windows 7 Rtm 7600
AMD Athlon X2 4000+ @2.1Ghz ASUS M2N 2GB CORSAIR XMS2 1X2GB 7300gt STOCK thermaltake 500W PSU Windows 7 Rtm 7600
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th July, 2008, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmythemoder View Post
my plans for the dual cpu build went out the window this morning i found out the owners of the house i am renting are selling it and i have to move so now my money i had to start building my rig has to go towards moving
I know the feeling. I had everything planed, and money ear marked as best I could for my upgrade and just about the time I was going to start ordering the situation changed at home. After a mad scramble, a change in priorities, and some help from the people here, I upgraded rather nicely. Though there was a panic time!

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Old 19th July, 2008, 05:28 AM

Send a message via ICQ to brons2 Send a message via AIM to brons2 Send a message via MSN to brons2 Send a message via Yahoo to brons2

When you get back to your build...

Why would you go dual CPU at those prices? I would just get a quad core single CPU, the OS will not know the difference but your wallet will.

I've been a server admin for years, and I can tell you that we're running a lot more single CPU setups now with all the dual and quad core processors. Unless you're doing a virtualization project where you need the max number of cores possible, ie, more than 4. we have one going on like that using paired IBM x3950 with 8 quad cores and 32GB of memory each in a VMware Vmotion cluster. Each physical server cluster will run up to 50 Windows Server instances on VMware depending on load. That's the physical consolidation, later will come the logical consolidation.

But that's beside the point here....what I'm getting at is, again, with the advent of multi core processors, the home user has no need for a multi-CPU setup.

Also, you can get 9800GTX a lot cheaper if you go with something other than the XFX Black Edition, the standard 9800GTX's are pushing down towards $200 on the 'egg. Or a couple of GTX280s can be had for around $650 if you really want to push the bleeding edge.
Old 19th July, 2008, 05:50 AM

You either have never been or have lost track of what it's like being poor folk. Your video card costs what I had to build my system with. I'm not complaining. I have a system that I'm very pleased with. I'm going to be adding to it piece by piece as monies allow but that is the way life is. And you are incorrect about the home user not needing a dual core CPU. It works great for me, one core is working 100% folding while the other is open to whatever I wish to do. My computer never loads up any more. I like it.

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Old 20th July, 2008, 04:34 AM
Warthog Launch Champion

well all my plans for any of my rigs wont be hapening for a while till i get back on track and my computer fund up again

thanks for ur replys

IPhone 3G 16GB White

Old 21st July, 2008, 10:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to brons2 Send a message via AIM to brons2 Send a message via MSN to brons2 Send a message via Yahoo to brons2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorPorMe View Post
You either have never been or have lost track of what it's like being poor folk. Your video card costs what I had to build my system with. I'm not complaining. I have a system that I'm very pleased with. I'm going to be adding to it piece by piece as monies allow but that is the way life is. And you are incorrect about the home user not needing a dual core CPU. It works great for me, one core is working 100% folding while the other is open to whatever I wish to do. My computer never loads up any more. I like it.
I picked up a mini-ITX board on sale at Fry's this weekend for $39.99. It's about the size of a coke can both directions, has a soldered on Celeron 1.2 with passive cooling, integrated video/LAN/sound, etc.

Intel® Desktop Board D201GLY2 - Overview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel Says:
The Intel® Desktop Board D201GLY2 / D201GLY2A is an innovative solution for the sub-value market segment. With an Intel® Celeron® processor and graphics integrated on the board, this board enables easy system integration and helps you to achieve a lower system cost. This board has 10/100 LAN, support up to six Hi-Speed USB 2.0 ports and 2 SATA (1.5 GB/s), providing both connectivity and ease of use for your computing needs such as email and Internet access, instant messaging and Voice Over IP (VoIP).

The Intel Desktop Board D201GLY2 is built using mini-ITX form factor providing lower power consumption and passive thermal solution.

With similar feature set, D201GLY2A is built with active thermal solution (with an optimally positioned fan)
I'm going to build a homemade NAS based on this, and I wanted low power. I was going to buy a different ITX board with the Intel Atom on it but I just couldn't resist $39.99 for this passively cooled Celery. I also picked up a stick of 1GB DDR533/PC4200 for $24.99. If you have an old case and hard drive laying around, throw it in and voila, the $65 dolla PC with 3 year motherboard warranty! Using a miserly 28 watts of power!

I have it running Xubuntu right now and I am really surprised how snappy it is. Eventually I will install FreeNAS along with a couple of 500GB hard drives and run headless, when I covert it to a NAS, but for now it's a fun toy!
Old 1st August, 2008, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorPorMe View Post
you are incorrect about the home user not needing a dual core CPU. It works great for me, one core is working 100% folding while the other is open to whatever I wish to do. My computer never loads up any more. I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brons2 View Post
....what I'm getting at is, again, with the advent of multi core processors, the home user has no need for a multi-CPU setup.
as opposed to single cpus with 2 or 4 cores.

dual core is great for most users. quads are crazy cool.

Ron

AOA Team fah