AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th April, 2002, 02:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Hammer (K8) power/cooling requirements

Hammer will have 5 VID(voltage identification) pins(32 possible combinations) to select core voltages from 0.8V to 1.55 in increments of 0.025V(1/40th of a volt). This allows for very fine VccCore tuning for future small process CPUs. The CPUs are not going to draw more than 40A, with the step down regulators being designed to handle 45A, leaving a 5A "Ooop!" buffer The regulators are being designed to handle stepping down from 12V, so Hammer boards will not tax the 5V rail as Athlon boards do. Regulators will be multi-phase, AMD reference boards utilize 4 phases, so it is likely that 4 phase arrangements are what AMD is recommending to motherboard designers.

So how much power consumption and heat dissipation does this mean?

Maximum of 70W, but we will probably see closer to 60W. This is a lot nicer than the 80-90W figures we have seen with recent Athlons. Hammer calls for a larger heatsink as well, so temperatures shouldn't be too extreme.

Sources:

http://www.theinquirer.net/16040207.htm

http://www.ezwire.com/cust/LinearTech/LTC3719/3719.html

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th April, 2002, 09:32 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

if u werent staff, i think u would be up for the MOM award for all the info you found on the hammer CPU's!

great to know they gonna be nice and chilly.

wow, thats a novelty, an AMD chip that wont fry eggs successfully? whatever next? an Intel that really flies?

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th April, 2002, 09:34 PM
AOA Staff

hmm. looks like us AMD guys may get to do the TEC shuffle once more
Old 16th April, 2002, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surlyjoe
hmm. looks like us AMD guys may get to do the TEC shuffle once more
I've been thinking the same thing since I first saw that nice small 40mm microPGA package and the twin mobo hole HSF mounting method, it should be easy to seal up . . .

I'm thinking two two 120W TECs running on 18V will do a really nice job . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 17th April, 2002, 01:58 AM

Do you know what the stock voltage is likely to be.

I read somewhere about it being 1.6v, thats obviously incorrect.

There is quite a lagre variation between 0.8 and 1.55, and why would more accurate fine tuning of voltage be necicary ?

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 17th April, 2002, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Holst
Do you know what the stock voltage is likely to be.

I read somewhere about it being 1.6v, thats obviously incorrect.

There is quite a lagre variation between 0.8 and 1.55, and why would more accurate fine tuning of voltage be necicary ?
Stock voltage will likely be in the 1.45 to 1.55 range, maybe less, but not likely.

The fine tuning and low voltages will be required for smaller lithography, like 0.065u, which is schedualed for use in mass produced CPUs in 2005. Today we are just using 0.13u, which means 0.065u is half the size, and in all likelyhood will require about half the voltage. Of course we will see 0.09u sometime in 2003, which will require voltages somewere in between(probably around 1 to 1.1V) . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 18th April, 2002, 01:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

What type of motherboard/ chipset will these run on? I might be willing to slap down the cash to buy a mb/ proc-
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 18th April, 2002, 01:16 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nate-X Send a message via AIM to Nate-X

Quote:
Originally posted by Spyder462
What type of motherboard/ chipset will these run on? I might be willing to slap down the cash to buy a mb/ proc-
Spyder
I'm curious too... at least I'll get most of what I'm paying for most of my 8k3a+ by selling my 8k7a+ so not too worried But curious nonetheless
Old 18th April, 2002, 03:12 AM

There will be new motherboards for the new chips. They won't be out for another 6 months, so no sense in worrying too much about it all now . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 18th April, 2002, 03:16 AM

So are there any other major changes on the horizon for AMD? Or is the chipset for this upcoming chip going to be around for a while?
Old 18th April, 2002, 11:44 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

i expect the hammer line CPU's will probably be around for same time as the athlon has.... just think where they could be in 3 years time or so!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 18th April, 2002, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nate-X
So are there any other major changes on the horizon for AMD? Or is the chipset for this upcoming chip going to be around for a while?
The chipset should be around for a bit. If AMD has a difficult time getting firms like VIA SiS and ALi to make chipsets, they are willing to make there own for as long as they have to . . .

The Hammer has the memory controller integrated in to the CPU, this is to reduce memory latency and increase performance. The new chipsit consists of a northbridge, which has only an 8X AGP controller in it, and a southbridge which has pretty much everything else(PCI, PCI-X, UDMA 133, Serial ATA, USB 2.0, all types of I/O). It'll be good stuff so long as AMD does a good job with the drivers . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 18th April, 2002, 03:05 PM

I hope everything goes well Is serial-ata and 8x agp the only major upgrades to pc's for now?

What is PCI-X?
Old 18th April, 2002, 11:49 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

According to a news item on The Regusa, Duron's are headed for that great mainboard in the sky. Supposedly, there will be one Appaloosa, and that's it. After the end of this year, no more Durons.

I'd imagine that the remaining T-Birds will get very inexpensive, if there are any left when Clawhammer hits the stores. Athlon XP's?
Dunno, really. More than a few folks will take their time before going over to the new Socket Monstro mainboards for Clawhammer and Sledgehammer.

Intel has a winner with the "new" 1.2 Ghz Celerons. You'd think that AMD would take note of it. Then again, can ~$25 over the Tualeron's price for a ~1700+ XP be considered unfair? Only if you don't have that $25!
Old 19th April, 2002, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
According to a news item on The Regusa, Duron's are headed for that great mainboard in the sky. Supposedly, there will be one Appaloosa, and that's it. After the end of this year, no more Durons.
Don't believe everything you read.

AMD will continue to manufacture Durons as long as there is a demand(Durons do quite well in the Asian market were every penny counts). They will manufacture higher speed steps of the Duron if there is demand too. After all, what corporation doesn't like money? I guess what I'm saying is, nothing is certain. It's one thing for AMD to say "We don't plan to make Duron's next year", it's quite another for them to say "We will not make Duron's next year", they said the former.

But don't dread the Duron's inevitable demise, AMD plans to have a small cache value oriented version of the Hammer core ready Q2/Q3 of 2003.

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 19th April, 2002 at 01:40 AM.
Old 19th April, 2002, 01:37 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
...Durons do quite well in the Asian market were every penny counts...
Dimm's got a good point with this one. When you go to China, you see a LOT of Durons. You see a LOT of Socket A mobos. They also come out first over there. Next time I go, I think I'll buy a couple. They're at least 20-30% cheaper over there.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 22nd April, 2002, 01:56 PM

From what I have heard T-Bred's may be destined to become the Durons of the future.
Old 22nd April, 2002, 07:53 PM

i pretty much agree on tbred becoming the low end chip. But could u remove the graphics from your SIG? its just to make sure the site loads as fast as possible for people with slower conns

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 22nd April, 2002, 08:17 PM

Yes T-breds will become quite cheap, but not until after the Christmas shopping season. Once UMC starts cranking out the T-bred silicon, they will be dirt cheap . . .

I personally find the UMC(United Microelectronics Corp.) deal a strange twist of fate. You see, back in the day IBM wanted to be sure that Intel could supply enough parts. Intel outsourced production of there 8086 to AMD and a handful of other firms. Years later AMD is coming back to byte Intel in the arse . . .

Now AMD is addressing OEM concerns that production will not be sufficient for projected demand by outsourcing its low-end chips to Taiwanese lithography firm UMC. UMC is giving AMD a damn good deal because AMD is going to be lending them some intellectual property to get the UMC process's transistor speed up to snuff. Does fate have a similar plan in store for UMC, I wonder . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 22nd April, 2002, 08:34 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
Today we are just using 0.13u, which means 0.065u is half the size, and in all likelyhood will require about half the voltage. Of course we will see 0.09u sometime in 2003, which will require voltages somewere in between(probably around 1 to 1.1V) . . .
I hope motherboard manufacturers get their switching regulators sorted for such low voltages. Providing voltages at such a low level, at such a high current is quite difficult. I'm sure people like Linear will come up with some reference designs for mobo manufacturers!

Think of the losses in the tracks leading to the processor - they're going to be getting bigger as the voltage goes down.

AidanII